Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developmental test

Options
  • 19-07-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

This is more just a question out of curiosity rather than a problem but my daughter has her two year developmental test at the health clinic soon and I'm curious as to what way they'll assess- is it physical and mental development and will they check sight and hearing?
    I'm not worried or anything just curious! Its been a while since she's had one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

~me~ wrote: »
    This is more just a question out of curiosity rather than a problem but my daughter has her two year developmental test at the health clinic soon and I'm curious as to what way they'll assess- is it physical and mental development and will they check sight and hearing?
    I'm not worried or anything just curious! Its been a while since she's had one!

If you are talking of the nine month tests, will let you know tuesday ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

no shes two, so ive been through that one! do you wanna know what it involves or will i let it be a surprise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It has been a loooooong time from when my youngest had hers done but if I recall correctly it's a physical exam, hearing test, follow the light, they test motor skills by getting the child to pick up objects and stack wooden blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

There's a 2 year developmental test? Iwas told 18 mos was the last one. Nurse did all the things Thaed describes at the 18 mos test.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    sorry for hijacking.
    At what age do kids have tests then?
    My son was born in the UK and we moved over in November (7 mths old). He has had his 12 and 13mth jabs, but I have never had anything else mentioned to me.

Thoughts?

TIA

Fran

• Advertisement

There's a 2 year developmental test? Iwas told 18 mos was the last one. Nurse did all the things Thaed describes at the 18 mos test.

they used to have an 18 months and a two year one but they were so close that they just merge them so you'll get an appointment at any time betweeen 18 months and two years afaik! could be wrong!

and fran i think theres a six week test, 6months test, year test and then two year test, give or take with each of them. go to your local HSE health centre and ask the public health nurse if your child needs one and they'll sort it out for you. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They do a hearing test at 7 months. My little girl had hers three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I brought my son to his 2yr developmental test not so long ago.
    It was a disaster. He was sooooo excited about seeing the nurse that after 1.5hrs waiting in the waiting room he was so fed up he just wanted to go home and would not participate at all.

After I forcefully carried him into the nurses room he would not go near the nurse. He told her he didn't like her. He told her he was tired and then he told her he wanted to go home. That was his speech checked. They converse with the child to see how many words they have and how they produce sentences and if they do it clearly.

They also weigh the child. My son would not let her weigh him so the nurse had to weigh me first. Then I picked him up and held him while she weighed us both together and she subtracted the difference to determine his actual weight.

They also check the childs height and head circumference. Once again my child would not let her check his height. I had to distract him while I coaxed him up against the wall to the measuring chart while I measured him myself.
    As for the head circumference - nobody was getting a tape measure around his head.

She tried to get him to say the words from picture books but he was having none of it. She gave him a coloured pencil to draw a picture and he was having none of it. He spent 90% of the time trying to escape out the door.

That is all the info I can give you on the 2yr developmental test. I'm sure there's more but the nurse was only happy to wrap things up quickly with my little fella as he was in such bad form. Then again, when they have young children waiting for 1.5hrs in a waiting room with no toys what can be expected?

thanks for all the replies!
    she had her test and basically the nurse weighed her and checked her height. then asked her to stack blocks and then went through a picture book and asked her to point to certain objects which i assume was a hearing test as it had similar sounding things on each page, i.e. a page with a key and a bee and the nurse would say 'wheres the bee?'.
    then she just talked us through potty training and we were out!
    went really fast!
    good luck to the rest who have theirs coming up! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I brought my son to his 2yr developmental test not so long ago.
    It was a disaster. He was sooooo excited about seeing the nurse that after 1.5hrs waiting in the waiting room he was so fed up he just wanted to go home and would not participate at all.

After I forcefully carried him into the nurses room he would not go near the nurse. He told her he didn't like her. He told her he was tired and then he told her he wanted to go home. That was his speech checked. They converse with the child to see how many words they have and how they produce sentences and if they do it clearly.

They also weigh the child. My son would not let her weigh him so the nurse had to weigh me first. Then I picked him up and held him while she weighed us both together and she subtracted the difference to determine his actual weight.

They also check the childs height and head circumference. Once again my child would not let her check his height. I had to distract him while I coaxed him up against the wall to the measuring chart while I measured him myself.
    As for the head circumference - nobody was getting a tape measure around his head.

She tried to get him to say the words from picture books but he was having none of it. She gave him a coloured pencil to draw a picture and he was having none of it. He spent 90% of the time trying to escape out the door.

That is all the info I can give you on the 2yr developmental test. I'm sure there's more but the nurse was only happy to wrap things up quickly with my little fella as he was in such bad form. Then again, when they have young children waiting for 1.5hrs in a waiting room with no toys what can be expected?

That seems really advanced for a two-year-old. My eldest can't form sentences at all yet and hasn't progressed beyond basic scribbling and his mates of the same age would be at a similar level. What kinds of pictures do your two year olds draw as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
Advertisement