Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas Parade - Gone in 60 seconds (almost)

Options
  • 19-07-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

Anyone else think that tonight's Macnas Parade was a bit on the short side.
    They closed off all those streets, erected barriers, people were waiting in anticipation.
    It came and went in 6 mins :eek:

The few floats and displays were excellent - very colourful, noisy, smokey, etc, but I couldn't believe how short it was, compared to previous years.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pathetic , about a third the size of last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I couldn't make it, so i didn't miss too much then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its de cutbax becos uv de resishen an all. De muny is been spint on a deefibbrillatur fur de libarary inshted doncha kno.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

Attended the Macnas parade tonight...was a great parade with lots of effort put into it, but was it unusually short or could i have missed a lot of it,=. It seemed to start with a dinasaur ending with fishes. am wondering was there more to come that i missed or were there only about 7 sections to it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It was different for sure. Some performers were planted on the way. So it got longer and shorter with people coming and going. I think it depended where you saw it for sure..I had loads of friends watching and in it too, and tbh, a variety of experiences; some thought it was a tad short, some thought it the best ever parade!

• Advertisement

So seriously mixed reviews? (disclaimer, I was in it!). All my mates seem to think it depends where you saw it..the 'parade' was more like street theatre - it gathered performers as it went, so kinda depended where you saw it and if you followed it..different I know but different is good. I heard everything (from friends) from 'meh' to 'best ever'..Hard to be objective 'cause I participated..loads of fun though!

Highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I thought it was good but it just kind of ended all of a sudden. Could of done with being a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

First time to see it, definitely thought it could have been a bit more prolonged. The floats were excellent though. No fireworks either? A lot of people had been expecting them, pity as the weather had been very benign.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I watched it down at jury's and all we saw were five or six floats and that was it. Everyone was waiting for more but nothing else came and the crowd dispersed, very disappointing in comparison to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I was saying that to Mrs Fozzie Bear. Seemed really short compared to previous years. Only real highlight was the drunken buffoon in blue shirt and white jeans/chino's down at Eddie Rockets junction on Eglington street who was being a tool. He tried to be smart and grab a big dude in drag at the head of the parade by the arse. Big dude in drag put him on the ground and made him his b!tch. Sat on his face, pretended to roide him all the while the assembled press photographers were snapping away. Drunk fool later on got himself tangled up in a float by falling into it. Stopped the parade for several minutes as he was removed from the float.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Yeah it was very short alright. I'm going to guess that it was a lack of funds. I said it before and I'll say it again, the entire Galway Arts Festival is not a patch on what it was say 10 - 15 years ago. The core difference being...take a walk around the city centre streets during the day and nothing suggests the Arts Festival is on. Very little is free and generally behind closed doors.

Having said that I applaud the effort put in to last night's parade and acknowledge the shortcommings bare no reflection upon those involved. If it could have been longer I'm sure it would have been.

*cough* Bring back Race Village & the Airshow! *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

It was short this year and a little bit of a disappointment, being at night there could have been more fireworks, flames and fire. I went to the finale at the Cathedral and that was very good, it made it worth while. I don't think everyone knew they were having an event there. (By the way- Cathedral car park makes a great location for an event or even a concert!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i thought the parade was excellent though i was surprised how short it was. Them crusties put on a good show!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

1st year at the parade and I couldnt believe it ended that quickly! It was a real pity as the few floats that were there were very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was happy with the quality, which was vaguely consistent with last year, but not at all with the quanity. I saw some people in civvies coming up the street after 15 mins and thought "They could have made a better effort". Then "Oh no! they are the crowd. That's it? Woah!".

I noted a lot of traffic coming up Francis St. and Eglinton St. after the due start time of the parade at 10pm. What the hell were these people thinking? Do they live with their heads up their ass? Even tourists knew it was on. These cars shouldn't have been let through at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

At least I didn't miss much, then.

well last year everyone followed to blackbox and there was a massive fireworks display which lasted longer itself than this years parade.. disappointing but it's not like we paid for it so can't complain really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

I couldn't believe how short the parade was last night...I timed 9 mins of action in total before the Order of Malta van coming down the street confirmed it really was over. After waiting 40 mins down near Jury's for it to start, 9 mins of parade was simply not enough. And what is the deal with different floats joining the parade at locations along the route? Who the hell came up with that with that gem of wisdom?!! Oh there was a big giant horse in there too? Really? Cos he didnt make an appearance at the Spanish Arch!! Now, it wasn't so bad for me to go and take a look at the whole lot at the cathedral carpark for the finale but not everyone would be able to snake their way across town to see it. Really it was a bit of a damp squib of a finale at that.....no fireworks, just a couple of flares and glitter. Where was the drama we've come to know and love with Macnas? Maybe it joined the parade at another location briefly and left again before I caught a glimpse of it? Anyone agree??!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was saying that to Mrs Fozzie Bear. Seemed really short compared to previous years. Only real highlight was the drunken buffoon in blue shirt and white jeans/chino's down at Eddie Rockets junction on Eglington street who was being a tool. He tried to be smart and grab a big dude in drag at the head of the parade by the arse. Big dude in drag put him on the ground and made him his b!tch. Sat on his face, pretended to roide him all the while the assembled press photographers were snapping away. Drunk fool later on got himself tangled up in a float by falling into it. Stopped the parade for several minutes as he was removed from the float.

Saw that, best laugh of the night. Hopefully the photos make it into the papers this week!
    Thought the parade was woefully short this year, even in previous years they seemed to have a lot more performers in between the floats which were spaced out a bit more, they all seemed to come together this year and it was over in no time. Very disappointing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

anyone make any vids of this short parade, and the drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Skipper1

I thought it was amazing. Best ever .... But yeah it was super short but only because some of the core staff were let go this year. Sure tis better to be left wanting more, right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Didn't get the drunk, but this is the guy/girl he was trying it on with... :pac:

3738176445_bbed4c4be7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Yup thats... er him/her/it in all his/her/its glory! What a stunna!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Yup thats... er him/her/it in all his/her/its glory! What a stunna!

That'd be 'Lezza Minelli' - lovely, but suffers from terrible flatulence:p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭trasver

Yeah a massive disappointment for us tbh!

Arrived at the cathedral nice and early to get good spot on the wall with the kids and after waiting an hour and a half they came past with nobody playing music on the floats and drummers etc just strolling along. Before we realised it the "concert" had begun and we were hemmed into an area where they'd parked all the floats and no one could see anything particularly the kids.

Just seemed badly organised/planned. Straightforward parades are great as everyone sees most of what's happening and I think people had planned for this by spreading out along the route so while lasts nights may have been more "artistic" in what they were trying to achieve it didn't really work.

A real let down, lets hope Macnas realise the problems and improve it for next year as it used to be a real highlight of the summer for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

trasver wrote: »
    .. A real let down, lets hope Macnas realise the problems and improve it for next year as it used to be a real highlight of the summer for us.

They know the problem - money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Must say I was highly disappointed in the parade. Saying that, congrats to Macnas for the work they did, some of the floats looked really well but you could see they were really trying to make the most out of a seriously cut budget.

I think splitting the parade into a story was just a way of "expanding" the event without spending any extra money!

Was hoping for a big explosion of fireworks at the end which would have saved the day for me... by alas there was just a few sparks sprayed over by the Cathedral and a flare let off.

Anyway here's a handful of shots from the day;

3739567494_68ced20158.jpg

3739548406_7f8f9e39f8.jpg?v=0

3739594490_01df2fb7cd.jpg?v=0

3739543878_f080ac8a04.jpg?v=0

3738728579_db3ed2fb52.jpg

3738739137_586ae0e588.jpg?v=0

3738714875_a7581fbc04.jpg?v=0

3739482606_346ccabde6.jpg?v=0

3739563858_4be8e03f24.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭trasver

snubbleste wrote: »
    They know the problem - money.

Absolutely I agree! however the problem I meant was not doing the parade in a parade format and rather than doing it in a fragmented and confusing manner where different bits happened in different areas and there wasn't a cohesive parade as such imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Me and a mate were sitting on the steps of Jurys Hotel for about an hour waiting for the parade to kick off. First there was the kids with the paper mache dragon heads lit up like lanterns on sticks, followed by the swaying fish kids. Then came an impressive reptilian type creature also lit up like a lantern followed by a mad max type contraption on which at top sat a kit drummer, and two brass musicians. The middle one playing a lovely Eastern type melody before the vechicle drove out of sight. I was thinking well thats fairly good for the starter course, now for the painted paganites with their thunderous drums. After about four mins reality kicked in, aint nothing more passing our way. It was only reading this thread that I found it there were additions to the parade enroute, why was this not mentioned in the programme, that the parade would be added to enroute, the only info I got was it started at the Spanish Arch and ended at the Fisheries Field. Was disappointed with the briefness of it but still enjoyed it too. But Macnas was so much better back in the 90s, it has to be said.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement