Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas Parade - Gone in 60 seconds (almost)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

.......why was this not mentioned in the programme.....

You're lucky you got a programme - they ran out of them a few days ago and won't be getting any more in!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi Guys
    I've been an organizer/participant of the parade for the last 10 years or so. Even I was disappointed with the length and organisation of this years parade. It was trying to be waaaaayyyy too artsy, incorporating greek mythology etc.... this would have probably been possible with a larger parade but was impossible to achieve with the amount of manpower we had this year. Hopefully they realise this and return to the tried and tested noisy, bright, wild parades I remember being in a few years ago.
    Then again.....money was an issue and will be from now on I guess :o

Cheers

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

It was way too short! We were at the Cathedral waiting for ages for it to get there and it was over in just a few minutes. I saw the crowd of people following it and thought they must be part of it and more was coming, but no. Also, I really don't think they thought the whole thing with the people with the big white cones on their heads through... When they were coming towards us the whole crowd was talking about what they resembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Cathedral stuff lasted a good half hour I'd say!:confused:
    Were you round the side, or watching the singing/choir?

Consensus from my friends is that it was good but too short.

I don't agree that the 'theme' was too arty, any theme would work, and there have been plenty of parades in the past 15 years based on Mythology of sorts.

Money was a huge factor, but it also seemed that a big fault lay in not communicating to the regular parade goers that it wasn't the 'usual' procession.
    Those who joined in and followed seemed to have a great time. People around say, Jurys got a very short end of the stick.
    Personally, from the inside I saw some great performances, happy faces and beautiful craftwork. Sweet but too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I cannot understand why they don't save a night time parade for Halloween. It gets dark so late in July & Halloween would be perfect especially with a firework display at the end.

I know a friend who is a creative genius & has worked on a lot of projects. He contacted Macnas three times about volunteering & never got a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Discodog wrote: »
    He contacted Macnas three times about volunteering & never got a reply.

There are 2 Macnas' nowadays are there not ?? He may have contacted the 'wrong' one.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There are 2 Macnas' nowadays are there not ?? He may have contacted the 'wrong' one.

Blimey are there ?. So are they Macnas', Macnases, or Macni ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

If true, they should have had a parade-off!

There's only one Macnas. Perhaps you're referring to Arcana - years ago the old Macnas gang separated into 2 companies (it's more complicated, but that's a simple explanation). Arcana do big corporate gigs like the giant heads at Croake Park etc, Macnas do the community based stuff, theatre shows, parades etc.

Surprised your friend heard nothing back - the volunteer co-ordinator was excellent this year. Perhaps it was before they were on board for the parade? A few core staff were let go recently too, due to funds:(

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's only one Macnas. Perhaps you're referring to Arcana

Never knew what the second bit was called, thanks .

There was a spatette between Charlie Adley ( journo/commentator) and Gary Mac Mahon on a blog a few weeks back . Gary was involved in Macnas for a long time, don't know about nowadays . This was written before the parade .

http://doubledoublevision.blogspot.com/2009/07/we-galwegians-are-divorced-from-galway.html
    Hate to disagree with you but the purpose of the Macnas is not, and never has been, to say thank you to the people of Galway. Why should it be? Thanks for what?

The purpose of the Macnas Parade each year should be about the public expression of either an individual or collective artistic idea. It's purpose is not the creation of some civic feel-good feeling.

Macnas is, or at least should be, an artist-led company creating spectacle on a grand scale. If people, including kids, feel good after experiencing the Macnas Parade - great but we're in the realm of unintended consequences here. Plenty of Macnas Parades over the years had the distinct notion of critiqueing the way Galway was or was headed.

It's why Macnas is an arts company in an Arts Festival - not a circus participating in a civic celebration.

Regards

Gary McMahon

This years parade was not "spectacle on a grand scale" but spectacle on a small scale .

If Macnas cannot get the "grand scale" back into the spectacle I think they should not bother us with an anticlimactic non event next year .

I dread to meet someone who travelled with their kids to see that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Foxerella

Should have called this years parade...
    BLINKANDU'LLMISSIT.
    Bit of an anticlimax

That is probably when the rot set in. So many "Arts" groups die by suffocating up their creative arses. Macnas may feel that it is not their duty to entertain us but they happily accept money from us.

A pyrotechnic, doom laden, Archaos, Arcadia (people may of seen them at Electric Picnic) style Halloween parade ending in a big bonfire/fireworks performance could easily attract sponsorship. But (noses in the air )... would it be art ?.

I for one think Macnas are the last people in Galway with their noses in the air!

It seems to be a lot about expectation, this whole discussion. People were expecting something and they didn't get it. Talked to a few non-Irish folk who had never seen a Macans parade and they loved it, and thought it was very magical, fun etc. They joined it and followed it without knowing what they were supposed to to.

For many of the rest of us, there was a feeling of being short changed regarding the LENGTH of the thing, not the quality. Most people have little argument re the quality of the piece.

I would encourage people to volunteer for next year. Time, energy, materials etc. If you want it to be longer, increase the manpower!

On a side note, I too would LOVE a halloween nighttime parade, it would have to be a Sat night though, because of kids, unless school breaks lined up perfectly, and we would be way worse at the mercy of the weather.

The article mentioned previously is really worth a full read. Macnas need to re-engage with the people of Galway. Having hived off the commercial arm they need to declare what they stand for if they want support.

The other thing that puts people off volunteering is the likely need for a garda check. This is also having a big effect on youth groups, teaching etc.

Also the Macnas volunteer form states "Due to the need for trust in the position we cannot automatically accept volunteers."

Maybe there would be a better way of putting this !.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Sparkles wrote: »
    I couldn't believe how short the parade was last night...I timed 9 mins of action in total before the Order of Malta van coming down the street confirmed it really was over. After waiting 40 mins down near Jury's for it to start, 9 mins of parade was simply not enough. And what is the deal with different floats joining the parade at locations along the route? Who the hell came up with that with that gem of wisdom?!! Oh there was a big giant horse in there too? Really? Cos he didnt make an appearance at the Spanish Arch!! Now, it wasn't so bad for me to go and take a look at the whole lot at the cathedral carpark for the finale but not everyone would be able to snake their way across town to see it. Really it was a bit of a damp squib of a finale at that.....no fireworks, just a couple of flares and glitter. Where was the drama we've come to know and love with Macnas? Maybe it joined the parade at another location briefly and left again before I caught a glimpse of it? Anyone agree??!

(Lack of) Money Talks !

Discodog wrote: »

The other thing that puts people off volunteering is the likely need for a garda check. This is also having a big effect on youth groups, teaching etc.

Also the Macnas volunteer form states "Due to the need for trust in the position we cannot automatically accept volunteers."

Maybe there would be a better way of putting this !.

Yes, perhaps the wording could be a little better..I get the sentiment though.
    AFAIK though, the form just asks if you would be willing to have a Garda check. I don't think it necessarily a given that you have one. For example if you come in through say another group or a language school. A lot of volunteers come in with a friend that has volunteered in the past.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I don't think it necessarily a given that you have one.

You only need it if left supervising kids alone , that would be daft nowadays .

Procedurally organisations like Macnas / Girl Guides / Summmer Camps should NEVER allow any adult to be alone with kids and certainly not with a single kid.

By doubling up at all times and insisting that sessions do not proceed in the absence of a second or even a third adult then everybody is protected .

One clever way to do it is to insist parents join a rota where one must be present at all times ( US soccer does this , if the parent is not there there is no training , period ) . However if a parent does not show it is their fault not that of the organisation and you can carry on if two adults are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I agree that the parade was quite short, even though, by the end of it down by the cathedral it was quite kicking.

And with regards to people's requests about videos. The entire parade was covered by GAF TV (A new branch of the Arts Festival crowd that record and edit everything on in the Arts Festival and put it up online.)

Linky, to Macnas Parade Videos

There should be 3 different ones in total

Please browse the site and give feedback.

Advertisement