Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17hmr

Options
  • 19-07-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

what would be the best .17hmr rifles availible for under 750e?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You won't go wrong with a CZ. I think they'll shoot as well as anything else, at the expense of perhaps a tiny bit of finish. No hesitation in recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

the cz 452 or the marlin 917 is gettin good reviews and the browning t-bolt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Friend of mine has a CZ. Lovely rifle. He thinks its a great gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

yeah i have a cz lux.22 was wondering was the Marlin 917VSF .17 HMR any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

bazza888 wrote: »
    yeah i have a cz lux.22 was wondering was the Marlin 917VSF .17 HMR any good

I dont know about any of the other ones. Just the friends CZ. Although his has a moderator. I seen a couple of nice ones on irishguntrader a couple of months ago for good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

bazza888 wrote: »
    what would be the best .17hmr rifles availible for under 750e?

A Sako Quad would be at the extreme limit of €750, but for bang for buck a CZ varmint would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

CZ gets my vote. Try here - he had a good second-hand CZ 17 hmr for sale.

Connolly's Red Mills
    Red Mills, Goresbridge, Co. Kilkenny
    Martin.
    059 9775800
    086 3734749

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

clivej wrote: »
    CZ gets my vote. Try here - he had a good second-hand CZ 17 hmr for sale.

Connolly's Red Mills
    Red Mills, Goresbridge, Co. Kilkenny
    Martin.
    059 9775800
    086 3734749

I picked my marlin 917vs - cf from martin over two years ago now and cant fault it. Its Joe Meany that is there now part time that is dealing with firearms. Give connollys a shout and they will put you on to joe.

Warning Graphic Photo.

59910.JPG

Sorry lads that picture came out a bit big

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

You wont go wrong with cz, this is the 452 American .17 Hmr, extremely accurate , as any cz owner will tell you
    i'm sure.
    TackDriveingWithmyRifles001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I have a Savage .177HMR bolt action...came from a semi-auto .22 but wanted something a bit more accurate. Have it about 4 months bought second hand for less than €350 including scope. Getting pretty good now out to about 200meters but should be flat to 300meters. I’m using Hornady V-Max rounds. It works for me.

• Advertisement

LK_Dave wrote: »
    I have a Savage .177HMR bolt action...came from a semi-auto .22 but wanted something a bit more accurate. Have it about 4 months bought second hand for less than €350 including scope. Getting pretty good now out to about 200meters but should be flat to 300meters. I’m using Hornady V-Max rounds. It works for me.

She will be well in the dirt at 300 meters 200 plus is pushing it for such a small round. Great round doe. (though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She will be well in the dirt at 300 meters 200 plus is pushing it for such a small round. Great round doe.

I wouldn't recommend using it on deer.

tuxy wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend using it on deer.

Wise guy eah :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sako Quad for me, but, I'm not sure if you'll get one for €750, perhaps for under €800. Am in the middle of switching from .22lr to .17HMR at the minute but in the time being I'm pimping it up a little, new trigger spring, firing pin spring, firing pin return spring, new oversized tactical bolthandle, picatinny rail on the way. No need for any of it, just like tinkering with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

johngalway wrote: »
    Sako Quad for me, but, I'm not sure if you'll get one for €750, perhaps for under €800. Am in the middle of switching from .22lr to .17HMR at the minute but in the time being I'm pimping it up a little, new trigger spring, firing pin spring, firing pin return spring, new oversized tactical bolthandle, picatinny rail on the way. No need for any of it, just like tinkering with it :)

Hey john, will you have two barrels then or just the one?

Just the HMR, don't think I can justify both the .22lr and the HMR, much as I'd like to have both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Can't wait to get my sako quad, like a school child at christmas:D

Did you trade it in or how does that work, was wondering what price the barrels were?

Yes, I did a trade in, so am in limbo at the minute. I've all of the gun, except for the barrel :D

My .22lr barrel is around two and a bit years old I think, part exchanged it along with €200 which I thought was a bit steep but sure what can ya do.

johngalway wrote: »
    Yes, I did a trade in, so am in limbo at the minute. I've all of the gun, except for the barrel :D

My .22lr barrel is around two and a bit years old I think, part exchanged it along with €200 which I thought was a bit steep but sure what can ya do.

I just would'nt have thought the dealer would take a used barrel, but i suppose if they're that price they'd be able to shift them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

I have the CZ452 .17HMR american. Great little gun for the money, for 680 you would get a new one with an average scope and mod.
    I paid a bit more as I bought the left hand version, it came with a hawke scope 3-9x40, it's not great but good enough for gun's(and my) range.
    Happy shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

At what range where those foxes literally "Hammered" I am impressed :eek:

boc121 wrote: »
    I just would'nt have thought the dealer would take a used barrel, but i suppose if they're that price they'd be able to shift them.

Well I bought the rifle off him, and the barrel is in the same condition as when I bought it off him so... I dunno, he didn't seem to have a problem with taking it to be honest.

At what range where those foxes literally "Hammered" I am impressed :eek:

CS that was last year when I got those two, have a read of post 592 on the link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=216791&page=40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

eireshot wrote: »
    You wont go wrong with cz, this is the 452 American .17 Hmr, extremely accurate , as any cz owner will tell you
    i'm sure.
    TackDriveingWithmyRifles001.jpg
    Yup thats the way to go have the same very accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Yup thats the way to go have the same very accurate
    Got mine a few weeks ago and i love it

Advertisement