Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6.60 for a pint of carlsberg

• 19-07-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I was in Gogartys over the weekend and ordered a pint of carlsberg, gave the bar man a 10er and got 3.40 back. thought it was a mistake so asked him how much it was and he said 6.60 and started to laugh and shrugged his shoulders.i started to laugh and said he could keep it so got my money back and left. Its a disgrace how pubs could charge that. probably the most expensive pint in the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Got your money back? Fair play bud;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You have to ask yourself one question before you go out .....

Are you out drinking or shopping ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

6.60!?!?

Fcuk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Aww well. none of us will be going there for a pint anytime soon.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

You were right to leave. 6.60? Shocking.
    I was in temple bar not so long ago, waiting on a friend, we went into one of the "oirish" pubs to get a coke. 3euro for a can of coke. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Fitzsimons in dublin city charges €6.60 for heineken...

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Fair play for getting your money back. Most would just take the pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Disgraceful. You should get two pints for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

was in gogartys too some guy hands back a pint and i got it for free

prices are at the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

YT wrote: »
    You were right to leave. 6.60? Shocking.
    I was in temple bar not so long ago, waiting on a friend, we went into one of the "oirish" pubs to get a coke. 3euro for a can of coke. :eek:
    You did well to get a can .. usually they're little pub bottles about 200ml or something !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Gogartys? Disgraceful.

And as for the drink price....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

soundsham wrote: »
    was in gogartys too some guy hands back a pint and i got it for free

prices are at the door

Being the barman doesn't count. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

That is disgraceful, fair play for getting the money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

For people not in the Pale can ye give a bit more info about this Gogartys place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

6.60 ?! Jesus christ !

jackncoke wrote: »
    For people not in the Pale can ye give a bit more info about this Gogartys place.

It allows the imbibing of alcoholic drinks in a convivial, metropolitan setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Carlsberg...probably the most overpriced beer in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Assuming it's the Oliver St. John Gogartys (it is, right?) it's one of the bigger / more jammed pubs in Temple Bar - the standard mix of tourists, stag/hen parties, and Irish people there.

Nothing really all that fantastic about it - certainly nothing that justifies a €6.60 pint!

Edit: Forgot to add, if you're into the eh...slightly more mature and...sophisticated lady, over in Dublin for a weekend with her friends, this could be a good venue to meet them.

I'm probably just angry because I blew my chances with one once in said venue. While her friend, who bore a shocking resemblance to Pauline Fowler, danced with a fine young Irish gentleman (he looked all of 16), she said to me "I bet you think she's old enough to be his mother, don't you?". "Not at all" quipped I. "I reckon she's old enough to be his grandmother." Didn't impress her. She stormed off over to her friend, and the young guy looked quite worried he wasn't going to get any hot action. She led him out later so at least my boorish behaviour didn't impinge on his night of passion.

In retrospect it's certainly one of the funnier things I've said in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

yeah its Oliver St. John Gogartys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

That place is a feckin rip off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Carlsberg...probably the most overpriced beer in the world
    Christ. First the OP gets charged a ridiculous amount of money for a pint of piss then you steal his (obvious, it has to be said) joke and get the thanks for it... Poor guy can't get a break...

timberland wrote: »
    yeah its Oliver St. John Gogartys.

I don't drink around there much, but I assume that pubs like OSJG are guaranteed to be very expensive.

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Christ. First the OP gets charged a ridiculous amount of money for a pint of piss then you steal his (obvious, it has to be said) joke and get the thanks for it... Poor guy can't get a break...

It had to be done it would have bugged me until someone else did it :P can't believe it got past the first few replies without someone caving and saying it tbh

well said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But it was said (albeit phrased a little differently) in the OP's post...!
    I was in Gogartys over the weekend and ordered a pint of carlsberg, gave the bar man a 10er and got 3.40 back. thought it was a mistake so asked him how much it was and he said 6.60 and started to laugh and shrugged his shoulders.i started to laugh and said he could keep it so got my money back and left. Its a disgrace how pubs could charge that. probably the most expensive pint in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Its an infamous establishment in Dublin's City Centre run by a notoriously miserly man known as One Eyed Gogarty. He has been known to serve kid stew with eye of newt during luchtime specials, steal from charities and sometimes invite customers around to his gingerbread house...most have never been seen since accepting his invitation!

It had to be done it would have bugged me until someone else did it :P can't believe it got past the first few replies without someone caving and saying it tbh
    i did say it in the original post.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

But it was said (albeit phrased a little differently) in the OP's post...!

Well pointed out, he gets himself a thanks for that.

i did say it in the original post.....

If I wasn't so drunk on reasonably priced beer I might have spotted that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many are paying well over €6.60 per pint as it is. 330ml at €3.84 works out at the same price. Most places charge more than that for a longneck, and plenty of punters are completely oblivious as to how much they are spending per litre.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411189

There is an ongoing thread on pub prices here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055396230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I wouldn't drink a pint of Carlsberg if someone paid me 6.60e. Horrible piss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

OP is obviously a Liverpool supporter ,no other way to justify drinking that shoite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Wow! 6.60? thats such a rip off, fair play to ya for giving the pint back and getting your money back!

If I wasn't so drunk on reasonably priced beer I might have spotted that
    excuses excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Crate of miller €17 in tesco.......... end of!

I hate going to pubs for this exact reason.
    Unless theres a good session or good Guinness :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Meah. If you were that concerned, you could have asked the price in advance.

If it were me, I'd have paid it at the time but gone elsewhere and not returned!

Also I wouldn't have been drinking carsberg ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

...So there I was in the Off License this evening looking for cheap beer (and normally the cheapest in this Offo is Tuborg - it's generally expensive). I asked the guy had he got any Bavaria or Ditch Gold - somethin cheap. He said take the Carlsberg. I said "no im looking for somethin cheap" - so he says "yeah it's 8 cans of Carlsberg for €10"....I says "yeh serious?" - he says "yeah just got them in tonight - in date and all" - so I says "nice one" - so I's went to the counter and bought them - and tbh pretty chuffed. A real bargain for quality for once and they are goin down well!:pac:

Would normally have cost about 17 or 18 yo yo's.

OP don't go to pubs - drink at home or go on the knack.......most have copped on at this stage.

i drink Heineken usually but they didn't have any. (which added to my anger)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You sure those Carlsberg were in date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

If it were me, I'd have paid it at the time but gone elsewhere and not returned!

It's that attitude that makes the owneres charge that much!
    The OP did the best thing, asked for his money back, I mean they really are taking the piss.

your post has really annoyed me. Why the hell would you pay that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

mikemac wrote: »
    You sure those Carlsberg were in date?

Or maybe the 3% crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

probably the most expensive pint in the world
    Ah... no...

I paid the equivilant of 12.50 for a pint of Guinness 3 years ago almost to the day in a pub in Reykjavik.

I only had the one btw...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

6.60?thats a ****ing rip off end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's ridiculous. In the bar I work in it's €4.30, or something around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its a disgrace how pubs could charge that. probably the most expensive pint in the world

lol nowhere near, pints are €8.50 in most bars in nice, france, saw them selling bottles of magners for 9.50 in one or two places, heading to norway in a few weeks and been told that is considered cheap :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lia_lia wrote: »
    €4.30

Now thats cheap,average price in cork is between 4.50 and 4.80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol nowhere near, pints are €8.50 in most bars in nice, france,

It's mad the difference a few miles makes. My Father runs a pup in a little village in the centre of France, prices are SO cheap! A glass of wine is 50 cent. A bottle of beer is something like 80 cent. But then again the bar is in the absolute middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

That price for a pint of piss?:eek: No thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

It's mad the difference a few miles makes. My Father runs a pup in a little village in the centre of France, prices are SO cheap! A glass of wine is 50 cent. A bottle of beer is something like 80 cent. But then again the bar is in the absolute middle of nowhere.

is the pup anygood,worth a flutter,pm me next time ye go to the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Meah. If you were that concerned, you could have asked the price in advance.

Also I wouldn't have been drinking carsberg ;)

That's what the average sheep does. The OP made a small, but important statement in his actions.

£3.50 is the most expensive pint I've come across in London, £3 in most establishments. The lot of you are happily being conned.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol nowhere near, pints are €8.50 in most bars in nice, france, saw them selling bottles of magners for 9.50 in one or two places, heading to norway in a few weeks and been told that is considered cheap :eek:

No they are not. Only in Irish pubs in France. In a typical French cafe, it's about €2.50 for a demi.

You are talking out of your arse, or assuming the year is 1960.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement