Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6.60 for a pint of carlsberg

Comments

darkman2 wrote: »
    A real bargain for quality for once and they are goin down well!:pac:

Carlsberg is quality beer, since when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Tallon wrote: »
    Crate of miller €17 in tesco.......... end of!

I hate going to pubs for this exact reason.
    Unless theres a good session or good Guinness :pac:

God i really hate people that say end of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

nitrogen wrote: »
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    It's mad the difference a few miles makes. My Father runs a pup in a little village in the centre of France, prices are SO cheap! A glass of wine is 50 cent. A bottle of beer is something like 80 cent. But then again the bar is in the absolute middle of nowhere.

You are talking out of your arse, or assuming the year is 1960.

Nice retort there, you haven't travelled much, have you..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

€3.40 a pint in a few places near me in donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

gotta say hearing about all the prices around the place makes me feel quite happy about here in athlone. the biggest pub in town, the palace sells fosters for 3 euro a pint and pitchers of any beer ya want (4 pints) for a tenner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Carlsberg is quality beer, since when?

Since always tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Amalgam wrote: »
    Nice retort there, you haven't travelled much, have you..?

No, I haven't travelled at all, and definitely not in the direction of what could be the cheapest pub in France. €0.80 for a bottle, not draft, in a pub and not in a cafe or supermarket. Even a bottle of local beer in a Thai 7-11 will cost over a Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

I've just pretty much stopped going out for a drink to be honest. Tired of my wallet being raped any time I go for a few pints. A pint of Guinness should be €3-€4 max; not €6.

Hilarious reading the Sunday Business Post yesterday - pub and nightclub owners blaming everything from the smoking ban to earlier closing times for the drop-off in business and the fact that they're closing premises in droves. It strikes me that they're missing the point completely. They must think consumers are extremely dumb not to notice that some publicans have raised their prices by up to 30 times the rate of inflation in the last year. The whole country is being fleeced and the fact that a large percentage of the Irish population are happy to be taken for a ride doesn't help.

When the excuses have dried up and there aren't anymore dim-witted, greedy pub owners to blame 'the smoking ban', 'early closing times' and other government-incentivised bully tactics, the few publicans that remain will only do so because they've finally accepted that there's only one thing that's going to save them - offering their customers value for money instead of trying to fleece them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

NickNolte wrote: »
    I've just pretty much stopped going out for a drink to be honest. Tired of my wallet being raped any time I go for a few pints. A pint of Guinness should be €3-€4 max; not €6.

Hilarious reading the Sunday Business Post yesterday - pub and nightclub owners blaming everything from the smoking ban to earlier closing times for the drop-off in business and the fact that they're closing premises in droves. It strikes me that they're missing the point completely. They must think consumers are extremely dumb not to notice that some publicans have raised their prices by up to 30 times the rate of inflation in the last year. The whole country is being fleeced and the fact that a large percentage of the Irish population are happy to be taken for a ride doesn't help.

When the excuses have dried up and there aren't anymore dim-witted, greedy pub owners to blame 'the smoking ban', 'early closing times' and other government-incentivised bully tactics, the few publicans that remain will only do so because they've finally accepted that there's only one thing that's going to save them - offering their customers value for money instead of trying to fleece them.

Agreed. What happened to pubs with atmosphere, where you didn't feel dirty and abused coming back from the bar realising how much you are being ripped off. Turn off the widescreen TV's showing Sky News 24/7, employ some friendly staff and stop ripping off anyone who dares go out for a few drinks!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol nowhere near, pints are €8.50 in most bars in nice, france, saw them selling bottles of magners for 9.50 in one or two places

Irish bars, maybe, but you can get a pint of Mutzig for €4 in any local bar.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's not, he just has shíte taste tbh

FYP there Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Diceys doing 3 euro pints on a Thursday. If it was not the worst bar in Dublin in terms of service and price normally, I might be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

€4.70 for a pint of bud in a Cork City hotel last weekend

€ 2.80 for a mixer for Vodka costing € 4.40 , making total cost of Vodka and white = € 7.20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

timberland wrote: »
    I was in Gogartys over the weekend and ordered a pint of carlsberg, gave the bar man a 10er and got 3.40 back. thought it was a mistake so asked him how much it was and he said 6.60 and started to laugh and shrugged his shoulders.i started to laugh and said he could keep it so got my money back and left. Its a disgrace how pubs could charge that. probably the most expensive pint in the world
    Was that upstairs and what time time they serve you at. Amazing when you think about it. If im right a half litre can of Carlsberg is probably under £2. work out the mark up.

I can get a pint of Fischers in one of the best pubs in galway for €4 and a pint of piss costs that much in dublin?

Glad I live out west tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Seaneh wrote: »
    I can get a pint of Fischers in one of the best pubs in galway for €4 and a pint of piss costs that much in dublin?

Glad I live out west tbh!
    excuse my ignorance but what kind of a brew is Fischers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

probably the most expensive pint in the world
    iirc Fitzers in Temple bar is over €7 and they charge a cover charge in too:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

First off Carlsberg is absolute muck. 6.60 is taking the absolute pish. I'd imagine that spot would have a few tourists in as well so the rip off republic image is still alive and kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭redorblack

6.60 for a pint is a disgrace, and they wonder why the tourists are choosing other destinations with better weather and cheaper everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Drinking in Temple Bar is absolutely disgusting to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I find it funny that we live in a country where drinking culture is highly encouraged (neigh the social norm!) and then we can't understand why (& get annoyed when) drink prices are so ridiculously high. If the price of drink in pub is too high then do what a lot of smart people here do and get a crate into your home for less than the price of 3 Carl$bergs. Or you can do what the OP did and return the pint for a refund. I never heard of anyone doing that before but fair play to him!

Either that or shop around. Personally I have a local in town where pints are €4 (lovely too and nice athmosphere). I'm not tellin you where tho :)
    kenon wrote: »
    Fitzsimons in dublin city charges €6.60 for heineken...

660 for Heineken? Fúck that shít! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol nowhere near, pints are €8.50 in most bars in nice, france, saw them selling bottles of magners for 9.50 in one or two places, heading to norway in a few weeks and been told that is considered cheap :eek:

ye i was in oslo a few years ago,got 3 pints in for me and 2 of the lads it came to the equivalent of nearly 42 euro :eek:fcukin expensive

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

come to longford, average pint is 3.60 - 4.00, though one place does a 3.20 flat rate the odd saturday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I was in 'Down Under' Saturday two weeks ago (Also known as Major Toms, near the Gaiety).

Pint's and Vokda + mixer were 3.50e each. I genuinely have no idea why the place was so dead, be a good spot if it had a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Paid 6.80 for a pint after 12 one night in the Church Bar on Jervis St. Will never darken it's doors again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

buckieburd wrote: »
    Paid 6.80 for a pint after 12 one night in the Church Bar on Jervis St. Will never darken it's doors again...

Prices bad in there and not just after 12. I paid €5 for a pint of Guinness in there right after work on a very quiet Monday. Nice architecture and all but it seems a bit much for a pint, especially considering time of day and the location of the place. Plus 3/4s of the customers there seem to be retired package tourists bused in there to 'try a pint of the black stuff'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

all the pubs in temple bar are that price. got chaged 6.60 for a heineken in the temple bar a few months ago and when i asked was it the dearest pub in ireland, he said no, the 4 seasons was the most expensive and they were the 2nd. i refuse to go there since, its just a tourist rip off.

pints 4.90 in coppers ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

come to longford, average pint is 3.60 - 4.00, though one place does a 3.20 flat rate the odd saturday night
    But it's Longford, FFS!
    Prices bad in there and not just after 12. I paid €5 for a pint of Guinness in there right after work on a very quiet Monday. Nice architecture and all but it seems a bit much for a pint, especially considering time of day and the location of the place. Plus 3/4s of the customers there seem to be retired package tourists bused in there to 'try a pint of the black stuff'. :rolleyes:
    The time of day should have absolutely no bearing on the price of a fúcking pint. If a boozer increases it's prices depending on the time, people are mugs for even going into the place IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

most of the "bigger" pubs in dublin increase their prices as the nites goes on. sinnots on the green being one of the major culprits, shower of ***** they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The highest prices tend to be a tax on bad-taste in pubs.

If you're drinking in kips like Sinnotts, Cafe-En-Seine or OSJG, you're going to get ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I walked past The Temple Bar and Gogartys on saturday night and they were jam packed. Why would they lower their price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭serfboard

most of the "bigger" pubs in dublin increase their prices as the nites goes on.

Yep, I believe the tills are programmed to do that.

And, if you check the prices at the door you'll see two lists - one for before 11PM and the other for "after 11PM".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

buckieburd wrote: »

Was in there before xmas or new years, pints of guiness were I think 4.50, which wasn't too bad, until I went up at 11:05, and they were up by 50c (over 10%!).

Given that normal opening hours on a saturday are 12:30, they had no right to put the prices up at random, since they were not into bar extension territory.

Took back my 4.50 and left the pint - I was planning on heading after that one anyway, so just left early. Wouldn't p.ss on the place if it was on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I then find it amusing how they usually come out blaming the government for taxes and the sorts, then pump out silly advertisements to get people into the pub.

These sort of prices are exactly why numbers are dropping off, and a reason why I hate going out drinking anymore.

When you can pick up a crate of "upper market" beer for below the €20 mark, you have to question what is it your getting in a pub/bar these days, that warrants them charging over the odds prices?

Most bars/pubs I go too, no longer have the "craic" that is so stereotypically beating into tourists.

Pubs and bars no longer offer things that make it worthwhile for me to make the effort. The expansion of Televison means I can get all the footie matches, american football matches and pretty much any match I want. I can invite mates over or go to one of their houses, and in the comfort of a house have great laughs, playing games,cards movies, and have the total cost of the night come to about €30.

A recent "casual" drinking night out I went to recently in Dublin cost me the guts of €80.

Club nights out easily excess €150.

It is just the way entertainment is going in this country, I nearly had a heart attack yesterday in the cinema at 3pm when charged €21 for two tickets to a film : /

I for one have long given up on going out to pubs to drink, when I can do it in the comfort of my own home, let alone the safety , and have a much better night for dirt cheap, drinking nice beer/spirits.

Plus when I get slaughtered out of my barnicle, its a 4minute hike up the stairs to bed, not a 30 minute trek in a taxi getting the spinnies being told how black taxi men are murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

That is a little shocking, but you don't have to stray far from Temple Bar to buy a cheaper pint: O'Neills, or head up George's Street etc. Town does not equal Temple Bar which no Irish person with a brain would drink in. You know when you go on holiday and there is a tourist area for retards to be fleeced? Temple Bar is our version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

TheDoc wrote: »
    It is just the way entertainment is going in this country, I nearly had a heart attack yesterday in the cinema at 3pm when charged €21 for two tickets to a film : /
    Jaysus! Was in Dundrum cinema yesterday afternoon, was only €14 for 2 adults there, and I thought it was one of the most expensive cinemas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Naos wrote: »
    I was in 'Down Under' Saturday two weeks ago (Also known as Major Toms, near the Gaiety).

Pint's and Vokda + mixer were 3.50e each. I genuinely have no idea why the place was so dead, be a good spot if it had a crowd.

+1.

Beats me too, IMO this is a smashing boozer - I love the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Well, I am doing what my polish friends so, Get the Beer from Lidl or Aldi and have a bbq. Far better time than going to a Pub. (for a lot less money!)

Went to a pub 2 weeks ago with my kids. €3 for a Club Orange!(250ml). €5.4 for a 330Ml bottle of Bud. So €12 euros just for 3 drinks. I don't mind paying if there is some entertainment in the pub, Jazz band, or a group playing, but some pubs just chance their arm.

Its crazy when a bottler of beer in a pub in castlebar costs more than on Champs Elysées in paris. (same beer, same bottle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Naos wrote: »

Is that the place under Stephen's Green shopping centre? I might suss that one out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well, I am doing what my polish friends so, Get the Beer from Lidl or Aldi and have a bbq. Far better time than going to a Pub. (for a lot less money!)

Went to a pub 2 weeks ago with my kids. €3 for a Club Orange!(250ml). €5.4 for a 330Ml bottle of Bud. So €12 euros just for 3 drinks. I don't mind paying if there is some entertainment in the pub, Jazz band, or a group playing, but some pubs just chance their arm.

Its crazy when a bottler of beer in a pub in castlebar costs more than on Champs Elysées in paris. (same beer, same bottle).

Well i guess some people would prefer a place where there are many others around them who they don't know. Public BBQ's as an alternative to the pub would be great. Marquee might be advisable of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Got charged €5.00 for a bottle of Bud in Clohessys bar in Limerick a while back. Haven't darkened their door since.

24 cans of Stella for €19 in Tesco. This is why I drink at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

One of the items on a Newstalk programme today (Tuesday, think it was with Conor Brophy on the Breakfast Show) was the fact that a pint of lager in Temple Bar cost over 6 euro.

Me thinks they are scanning boards for stories again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Eh I got a vodka&coke in Temple bar a few weeks ago and it cost 9 euro something!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Miskatonic

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I don't live in Dublin anymore. Last time I was over I was charged 6euros for a bottle of Heineken in Nearys.

My local in London is £2.60 a pint...and was in a place recently where it was £1.80 for a vodka and lemonade :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I was in Gogartys over the weekend and ordered a pint of carlsberg, gave the bar man a 10er and got 3.40 back. thought it was a mistake so asked him how much it was and he said 6.60 and started to laugh and shrugged his shoulders.i started to laugh and said he could keep it so got my money back and left. Its a disgrace how pubs could charge that. probably the most expensive pint in the world
    Fair play. Barman wont be laughing if he ends up on the scratcher due to his employers lust for profits :rolleyes:
    soundsham wrote: »
    was in gogartys too some guy hands back a pint and i got it for free

prices are at the door
    Highly unlikely the prices are at the door. Id say 1 in ten boozers have the prices on the door. And they DON'T say anything about the increase in prices after certain times.

There was a lad on newstalk yesterday from paddy wagon tours and the general concensus with his tourists was utter shock at the prices of gargle around Dublin, specifically Temple Bar, so they are staying away. He gave an example where one girl was charged €27 for a Bellini, should be half that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

darkman2 wrote: »
    ...So there I was in the Off License this evening looking for cheap beer (and normally the cheapest in this Offo is Tuborg - it's generally expensive). I asked the guy had he got any Bavaria or Ditch Gold - somethin cheap. He said take the Carlsberg. I said "no im looking for somethin cheap" - so he says "yeah it's 8 cans of Carlsberg for €10"....I says "yeh serious?" - he says "yeah just got them in tonight - in date and all" - so I says "nice one" - so I's went to the counter and bought them - and tbh pretty chuffed. A real bargain for quality for once and they are goin down well!:pac:

Would normally have cost about 17 or 18 yo yo's.

OP don't go to pubs - drink at home or go on the knack.......most have copped on at this stage.

Didn't tell you the ava was just 3.8% though did he;)

Pure horse piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

+1.

Beats me too, IMO this is a smashing boozer - I love the place.

Why is the crowd so poor all the time? It's free in as well! I'll say hello if ever I spot you in there.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    Is that the place under Stephen's Green shopping centre? I might suss that one out!

Yeah that's the one - it even has a pool and fuzzball table :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

Say what you like about norn iron, i never pay more than about £2.50/€3 here, EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I like the purty kitchen in temple bar, bottle beers 2.50 and all pints 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anybody consider the cost of the property lease might be the biggest factor in the prices they charge?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement