Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 320D Vs MkV Golf GTi

• 19-07-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Need help on deciding to change my '06 320D with 104k mls for another or go for a greatly reduced price on MkV Golf GTi.
    It's DSG and I do 30k mls per annum. I'm worried it won't be as rock solid as the BMW in terms of servicing costs etc.

The main reason for considering changing away from BMW is the price.

Anyone with advice would be appreciated as I have to make decison this week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The MkV GTi sounds like a really strange option for someone who does 30K miles a year. I drive one (albeit a manual) and I can just about wring 35mpg out of it on a motorway trip. With the kind of 'spirited' driving that the car is intended for or urban driving it would be far less than that. Over that kind of distance I'd expect to be spending an extra €1500-2000 a year on fuel for the GTi.

The other consideration is the kind of roads you drive on. When you just want to relax and get somewhere the GTi eats up the roads well with the notable exception of bumpy roads. If you spend a lot of time on poor roads then combination of short wheelbase and comparatively hard ride might get a bit tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The MkV would cost a good bit more in fuel, especially the GTI. Also it might be a bit less comfortable on longer journeys. The two aren't really comparable tbh. I'd suggest sticking to the 320D as I assume it's an auto as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 HydroDF

In my head I'm balancing the extra cost of fuel against the purchase price which is €8k less than it listed at. It also has cruise control, important to me for penalty points.

I'm a Galway man livin in Kildare, my journey's are mostly work related in the main cities so 80% of the time on good roads. My current BMW is on 18's so I think the Golf should be OK.
    I am strugglin to justfy the cost of a new BMW with what they are offering me on this trade.
    My main worry on the Golf is will it last the miles??

It's manual and I'll never do it again. I researched nearly news in the UK for ages and it would have made it worth while but couldn't sell my own private, hence the trade which is prooving painful financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If it's cheap enough for you and you think the fuel cost won't be too bad go for it. I'm told the DSG box is fantastic and the GTI should last years as long as it's not thrashed. The new BMWs don't seem to be very reliable in terms of electronics anyway.

Meh, go for the GTI. The DSG will make any driving a doddle and it'll be fun (if you want it to be).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

how much cash with your 320d do you have to give for the GTi?
    whats the cost to change to a GTi in otherwards?

have you a link to your own car or for the GTi your looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doing 30k miles a year is diesel territory imo. The extra cost in fuel from the GTi at 30k miles a year will certainly eat into initial purchase price and service cost savings. Also take into account that a high mileage 320d will be alot easier to shift than a high mileage GTi next time you want to change.

Regarding reliability, I would say a Golf is no more reliable than a 320d. Golfs have their fair share of problems too.

OP did you look at other alternatives? Skoda Octavia vRS or Subaru Legacy diesel?

kceire wrote: »

€35.5k
    Golf, 5 door,DSG, leather,MFSW,6 cd, 18" Monzas, black metalic, cruise control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Is there something specifically wrong with your current car, why are you changing, 100k is nothing on a diesel, probably good for 500k.

Is there something specifically wrong with your current car, why are you changing, 100k is nothing on a diesel, probably good for 500k.

Nothing wrong, FBMHSH just mileage and the reduced price on the Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

HydroDF wrote: »
    €35.5k

you have to give 35,500 with your 2006 320d for a golf????

surely you can sell the 320d at a reduced price to get a better price on the GTi....? i know i'd rather the 320i think your mad to give that! what year is the GTi?

what year is the GTi?
    It has to be new. At that price and spec he's being offered around €7k trade-in against an end of line MkV GTi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

€35.5k

I was asked for 30k and my M3 for a 2007 997 C2 and I nearly choked and you want to spend that (and more!) for a Golf? I wouldn't bother at all.

I know of a guy with a 3 door 08 GTI and Ballsbridge Motors asked him for his car and 15,000 for an 08 with 5 doors (baby has arrived) there's some mad stories out there for Golfs there really is.

Driving E92s for nearly two years now and haven't had any electrical faults so can't say I agree with the claim from someone earlier.

Why not get a UK import 320D from 2008, get the decent road tax and surely your cost of change will be less than 35k?? A Golf GTI doesn't even cost 35k!! There has to be a mistake somewhere here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

If you do so much mileage you probably should get a leasing with everyting included. That should cost you a lot less and you can get a new car every 2/3 years.

Another thing I'll add is that there are an awful lot of MkV GTis around the country and quite a few for sale and going nowhere. Sometimes I feel that every time I look at mine it'll have dropped in value. Unless the economy starts picking up sharply you may find that it won't hold it's value particularly well.

you have to give 35,500 with your 2006 320d for a golf????

surely you can sell the 320d at a reduced price to get a better price on the GTi....? i know i'd rather the 320i think your mad to give that! what year is the GTi?

I have 16.5k left on BMW, they are givin me 14k for the car and want a deposit of 2.5k to cover the negative equity and clear the existing finance.

The GTi is new and they want 33k for it.

Another thing I'll add is that there are an awful lot of MkV GTis around the country and quite a few for sale and going nowhere. Sometimes I feel that every time I look at mine it'll have dropped in value. Unless the economy starts picking up sharply you may find that it won't hold it's value particularly well.
    Thats the main reason i registered on boards, when I saw the hit a private seller on Carzone was taking on a year old GTi, think it was 15k. Obviuosly concerning, but he may have been willing to take the hit to get into a MkVI??

Big Balls wrote: »
    I was asked for 30k and my M3 for a 2007 997 C2 and I nearly choked and you want to spend that (and more!) for a Golf? I wouldn't bother at all.

I know of a guy with a 3 door 08 GTI and Ballsbridge Motors asked him for his car and 15,000 for an 08 with 5 doors (baby has arrived) there's some mad stories out there for Golfs there really is.

Driving E92s for nearly two years now and haven't had any electrical faults so can't say I agree with the claim from someone earlier.

Why not get a UK import 320D from 2008, get the decent road tax and surely your cost of change will be less than 35k?? A Golf GTI doesn't even cost 35k!! There has to be a mistake somewhere here.

Would go to UK in a heartbeat but can't shift my own, way too many for sale here.
    Your defo right there are 20 '08/'09 on carzone all with reduced prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Would you not be better off going for a new (2010) Golf 2.0Tdi 140 GT, with DSG 33,000 also. I can understand what your doing if you were doing say 10k a year, but at your mileage theres just no way the GTI is worth it.

Would you not be better off going for a new (2010) Golf 2.0Tdi 140 GT, with DSG 33,000 also. I can understand what your doing if you were doing say 10k a year, but at your mileage theres just no way the GTI is worth it.

Cheers for checkin it out, this will probably come across wrong but if it's not a GTi I'll be holdin on to the BMW.

On all the car reviews the 320d went well and won car of the year 2006. The GTi always gets 5 stars. But the weight of evidence is against the Golf with the purchase price, fuel costs and depreciation all the lads seem to suggest holdin on, wait to clear the finance in 16 months and go in for a cash deal.

• Advertisement

Cheers for checkin it out, this will probably come across wrong but if it's not a GTi I'll be holdin on to the BMW.
    I can see where you're coming from completely. I bought the GTi because it's a car I wanted to own. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a Golf otherwise.
    But the weight of evidence is against the Golf with the purchase price, fuel costs and depreciation all the lads seem to suggest holdin on, wait to clear the finance in 16 months and go in for a cash deal.
    Agreed. If I was in your position, I'd seriously look at the possibility of holding onto the 320d for the moment with a view towards picking up a 330d or 335d (on the newer tax scheme) in a year or so time.

I can see where you're coming from completely. I bought the GTi because it's a car I wanted to own. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a Golf otherwise.

Agreed. If I was in your position, I'd seriously look at the possibility of holding onto the 320d for the moment with a view towards picking up a 330d or 335d (on the newer tax scheme) in a year or so time.
    On the money, 335d sport touring have been watchin prices for ages they're dear at the minute all up around £30k.

Think I'm done with the Golf, now to tell the garage I'm not takin it!

Thanks for all the advice lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

There's unregistered GTIs going for €28,000 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

In my head I'm balancing the extra cost of fuel against the purchase price which is €8k less than it listed at. It also has cruise control, important to me for penalty points.

The Cruise Control greatly improves fuel consumption, before I retro fitted it to my car (Mazda 3 MPS bigger engine and worse economy than the GTI) I was getting 30 mpg average on long journeys, now I get 40.2 on motorways and 45 mpg on 60 mph country roads! not bad for a 2.3 litre turbo engine!

MarkN wrote: »
    There's unregistered GTIs going for €28,000 at the moment.
    The spec is probably pretty basic??

Where??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Brand new golf for 15K :eek:

A Mark V golf thou

Thanks, that's where this whole thing started I had seen that on the VW web site. The only car VW have with cruise is this one I've been on about. Told garage today it was too much money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement