Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cat who adopted us?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

A few months ago a cat turned up in my parents' back garden. He looked healthy but was really hungry and hung around. We presumed he was lost, fed him, put up found-adverts around the area and online, took him to the vet for a check, but no-one claimed him. After a month or so we put up "good home wanted" ads. A woman contacted us who said she was involved with animal charities, loved cats and wanted to give him a home.

This seemed great and we explained to her that we suspect he'd been abused as he was quite nervous and could bite or scratch if he felt threatened. She said "no problem I'll put manners on him" (that worried me!). A few days later she came back, returned the cat to us and said he was wild, not a pet and she didn't want him! (I personally don't think this woman should be allowed have pets, based on some of her comments!)

Soooo, it looked like we'd be keeping him. We have almost 16 years experience with our two pet cats and now that he's being treated kindly he isn't scratching/biting and he's very fun and playful.

The problem is that my parents are getting older and don't have the energy for another possible 18 years of having this cat. Also, the cat is a bit naughty and gets in neighbours' windows for a lie down ;-)

One neighbour complained today and now my parents are worried that they're responsible if the cat causes any damage or scratches anyone.

So what do we do?

I don't like the idea of shipping him off again or putting him in a cat refuge.

Help?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Keep him indoors. Cats live very contentedly indeed as indoor-only animals. The best case scenario is an indoor life with some restricted outdoor access, like a covered run or a high walled garden with the top cat-proofed so it can't get off your property, but that can be difficult to achieve.

If you keep it in all the time the worry of unrestricted outdoor roaming - hit by a car, annoying the neighbours, attacked by another animal, hurt by someone who hates cats, accidentally shut in somewhere, so on, so forth - immediately vanishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Also, the cat is a bit naughty and gets in neighbours' windows for a lie down ;-)

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'm going to put fencing on the top of the wall around my back garden so my cats can't get out (they use to not bother climbing the wall, but are getting a bit more adventurous lately). If you google "cat fence" - you get lots of pictures of cat enclosures which - if you can find someone with DIY skills - won't cost much to set up.

The good thing about cats is that they are great for people who aren't full of energy, as cats love nothing better than sleeping on a lap. Your parents can probably manage them v. well if you can lend a hand and bring the cat to the vet when necessary.

The other thing to mention - is the cat neutered? If not, I'd suggest you get that done as it will stop him feeling like wandering off or picking fights with other cats. (Or thats the theory!)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LeSageMignon

Thanks for replies but my parents don't want him indoors. My mother doesn't want to keep him at all.

He is neutered but I'm afraid he's a bit of a "problem personality". He can be sweet and affectionate and playful and suddenly get grumpy and snappy. I feel very sorry for him but I think he might end up at a cat refuge :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I was wondering why you don't keep the cat? You seem to be fond of the kitty.
    You can change his behaviour (might take a bit longer than with dogs).
    Am surprised at that woman who came to pick up the cat and said that she was involved with charities.. because even if a cat has some behaviour issues, she should have not dropped the cat back to you..
    Have a look at that website http://cats.about.com/od/healthconcerns/u/felinehealthandbehavior.htm#s6
    Maybe you can find a solution to help with the cat behaviour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

OP, please don't give up on the cat. You said yourself he probably had been treated badly and that is why he is grumpy/has behavioural problems. Cats who act like that often aren't used of been handled or getting affection so they may enjoy the affection initially but then get nervous of been petted and act out by using aggression because they are frightened. Cats who have been handled since kittens rarely behave like this.

Give him some time to settle in and he will become more trusting. If he goes back into a refuge he will just become someone elses problem and you seem to have built up a relationship with him already. Try to persuade your family to put a bit more time in with him. If you can't, try your best to find someone who really wants a cat not who is just taking him off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LeSageMignon

Thanks guys :)
    If it was my house I'd definitely keep him. I'll bat my eyelashes at my folks and see what I can do!

Advertisement