Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miller ... not on tap any more?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Is it true? Mate tells me Heineken bought them out and they're going to only sell it in bottles going forward?

I've been in 3 pubs since and no Miller on tap (although the tap is still there) but I've not asked why.

It's not true, is it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's not true. There was some sort of big shake up (apparently it tastes even better now :rolleyes: ) but the pub where I work got rid of draught Miller about 2 years ago due to modest sales and a complete lack of interest in promotion or line cleaning by B & C. We recently got it back in however. They have a new keg and are actually bothering to clean the lines etc so I doubt it's on the way out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Miller was made by Beamish & Crawford. Beamish & Crawford has now closed. Miller for Ireland is now made at the Grolsch brewery in the Netherlands and imported by Richmond marketing. There is still a draught version. There are any number of reasons why a particular pub might not have Miller at the moment -- sorting out contracts with the new supplier, delivery logistics, price negotiations -- but draught Miller does still exist.

I think Irish Fosters may have died though. Anyone know what happened there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

BeerNut wrote: »

us cheap students moving onto bavaria?

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    us cheap students moving onto bavaria?
    I think the closure of the brewery might have had a more direct effect, but I'm wondering if they've bothered trying to resuscitate the brand, or if they're leaving you to your Bavaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Miller are currently re-branding their pub equipment, so assuming all that goes ahead I am sure it will be rolled out in bars again. Not sure of the timescale though.

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    Miller are currently re-branding their pub equipment,
    Oh great: bigger, brighter, louder taps -- just in case you reached the bar unaware that their product existed.

I hate the way bar counters now look like Christmas in Vegas. It has uglified some very nice pubs.

Oh great: bigger, brighter, louder taps -- just in case you reached the bar unaware that their product existed.

I hate the way bar counters now look like Christmas in Vegas. It has uglified some very nice pubs.

Agreed. In the words of Alan Partridge everyone seems to be going for the "Basically, can I have a condensed Pink Floyd concert for £500?" route.

Guinness hit the nail on the head with their tap marker, but they can get away with that because they have such a strong brand, most of the others seem to want it shiny and bright, the sort of stuff that is disposable because it will be dated in 12 months anyways.

I havent seen any of the new materials / shapes they are using but I would imagine it will be of the "new" style to fit in alongside/compete with Budweiser/Heineken/carlsberg

If Ireland had a better controlled market they really should have the pubs split into categorys of styling/target market etc, and only suitable installations would be placed in suitable bars. The volumes might not be suitable for most brands to consider having 2 or 3 options for bars.

Guinness hit the nail on the head with their tap marker
    I don't think it's any nicer than the Carlsberg and Bud monstrosities Diageo have introduced beside it. I'm guessing that Smithwick's is for the chop soon, largely based on the fact that it hasn't been given a giant illuminated font. The little green oval looks absolutely dwarfed by its brothers.
    If Ireland had a better controlled market they really should have the pubs split into categorys of styling/target market etc
    Controlled by who? The Big Two brewers have publicans by the balls, which is a position the publicans have very comfortably allowed themselves to get into.

I don't think it's any nicer than the Carlsberg and Bud monstrosities Diageo have introduced beside it. I'm guessing that Smithwick's is for the chop soon, largely based on the fact that it hasn't been given a giant illuminated font. The little green oval looks absolutely dwarfed by its brothers.

We are discussing personal taste now, which of course could lead us to discuss the styles of the taps in as much detail as you would discuss the complexities of certain beers!
    Personally I think the new Guinness marker is very nice, elegent, nice lines and the lack of illumination and its use of a dull gold as opposed to the tacky mirror chrome that every other brand is obsessed with makes it stand out amongst the others.
    I'm not sure about the Smithwicks branding remaining shelf life, but the Guinness template should be followed in my opinion to differentiate it from the other brands.
    Controlled by who? The Big Two brewers have publicans by the balls, which is a position the publicans have very comfortably allowed themselves to get into.
    I understand the brewers position of power, but I mean that the style of the bars should be taken into consideration when installing the equipment as opposed to just whacking in the same units everywhere.
    The brewers know where the country rustic pubs are and where the modern trendy pubs are, and disco bars etc (the would have their bars grouped together as such) and if they controlled their installations and placed suitable equipment in suitable environments the uglification of pubs that you mentioned would be reduced at least.

the lack of illumination
    I'm pleased your local is showing a bit of taste. They do light up, however.
    the style of the bars should be taken into consideration when installing the equipment as opposed to just whacking in the same units everywhere.
    I think they think they do this. Both Bud and Guinness come as a double-font arrangement. And you can get your Bud ice-coated too, if you like. The choice is ugly or uglier.

• Advertisement

I'm pleased your local is showing a bit of taste. They do light up, however.
    Dang, my bad, I don't reside in Ireland anymore so I am not exposed to them as much.
    I think they think they do this. Both Bud and Guinness come as a double-font arrangement. And you can get your Bud ice-coated too, if you like. The choice is ugly or uglier.

I was more suggesting that they have something adaptable in the "coffin box" style where its just the handles all lined up together as opposed to individual counter mounted fonts.
    Maybe they do catogerise and fit the equipment to suit the bar already, but its just so badly done we don't realise!

The Bud font is a monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Going through a Miller phase right now, really like it. Think I only had it once on tap. It's really nice in a bottle.

So many people give out about Bud yet they still drink it. :confused:

Again it's a nice beer in a bottle. Maybe it's not supposed to be had as a pint as it doesn't draught well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Miller was made by Beamish & Crawford. Beamish & Crawford has now closed. Miller for Ireland is now made at the Grolsch brewery in the Netherlands and imported by Richmond marketing. There is still a draught version. There are any number of reasons why a particular pub might not have Miller at the moment -- sorting out contracts with the new supplier, delivery logistics, price negotiations -- but draught Miller does still exist.

That is one of the reasons Ithink the closing of the B&C Brewery by Heineken was so sad.

B&C were making all of the bottled Miller that was sold in the Irish Market. (Well apart from the parrallell stuff that was imported by some wholesalers themselves) In the last few years, they had invested a few million in a new bottling plant down there to keep up with the demand. Once the competition authourity decided that Heineken could own the B&C brewery then it was always going to be curtains for Irish Miller.

There was no way that Miller were going to leave control of their product in Ireland with Heineken. With the result now that all of the Miller we drink now is imported, and there is a state of the art bottling plant in South Main Street in Cork gathering dust.

If the competition Authourity had forced Heineken to sell B&C off as a stand-alone company there were a number of interested parties including a possible management buy out. They would have held the Miller contract and at least a hundred Irish Jobs would have been saved.

RE Fosters, I'm not sure. I think B&C were due to lose that this year anyway I think. Does anyone remember the pint bottles of Fosters that they brought out about 6 or 7 years ago. I grew fairly fond of them myself, but they weren't around for long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I had a few cans of Fosters (a 8 pack I got in Tescos) and it still says on the tins "Brewed by Beamish & Crawford :eek: ", Really hope they don't get rid of Fosters as its prob my favorite canned beer, cant stand Carling, Miller, bud etc, Amstel is nice aswell :) though , also noticed the 6 pack of Fosters is now back but it costs €9 :rolleyes: , Used to drink Fosters regularly and it was always 6 for €8, I know all the other went up by a euro or more Bavaria, Tuborg etc so its not really that big a deal, but still :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Oh well. It was a nice thought while it lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I think the closure of the brewery might have had a more direct effect, but I'm wondering if they've bothered trying to resuscitate the brand, or if they're leaving you to your Bavaria.

i was taking the piss as opposed to drinking the piss!

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i was taking the piss as opposed to drinking the piss!
    Well it was possible that the brand had been squeezed out of the market. It's not exactly high profile and I do wonder how many names for fizzy yellow piss Ireland needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Heineken are continuing to brew Fosters, Carling and of course Beamish. All other beers brewed in Beamish and Crawford are not made by them anymore, Miller, Kinsale Lager etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ontap

Miller Draught is not going to be brewed in Ireland any longer as it will be imported from now on.. It is currently managed by Richmond Marketing (the red bull crowd).

A lot of bars/pubs, especially small ones, will stop selling it as they wouldnt bother opening a new account/ direct debit etc with a company that they dont do much business. Imagine ordering one or two kegs every few weeks. More hassle than its worth.

Quality control is a concern also with transport, line cleaning etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement