Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Frank McCourt

• 20-07-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Frank McCourt has died at the age of 78, RIP.

:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Is he being cremated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

orestes wrote: »
    Who?
    He wrote Angelas Ashes. Or was in it. Or it was about him. Or something. Maybe even all four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

orestes wrote: »
    Who?

Angelas Ashes fella.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Author of Angela's Ashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

orourkeda wrote: »
    Is he being cremated?

Ashes now, Tis true.

The "Angela's ashes" guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Yeah, he wrote Angela's Ashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ah right. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Which one is AA, the one where the guys a cripple or the guy who pukes up his communion on his nan's carpet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

orourkeda wrote: »
    Is he being cremated?
    That would be Franks Ashes then.

/RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

i always thought he was dead... 78 is a lot younger than i expected. for some reason i thought it was set in like, the 1900s :confused:

anyway, rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Aodan83 wrote: »
    He wrote Angelas Ashes. Or was in it. Or it was about him. Or something. Maybe even all four.
    He wrote it. It's about his childhood growing up in poverty in Limerick in the 30s and 40s. There's also a film adaptation which is very good too.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm not surprised tbh. According to his brother last week, he was on his last legs. He had melanoma for a while and then got meningitis which is apparently especially bad news when you've got cancer.

Glad though that he got to enjoy the last few decades of his life. Regardless of whether you think he embellished Angela's Ashes, I don't think many people would have wanted his childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Rest in Peace Frank. You were an inspiration for writers and irish people alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Who the **** is that assclown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Who the **** is that assclown?

When I listened to it I got the gist that he was writing books disputing Franks claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is the claim that his book was written by some prisoner correct?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm a massive fan of McCourt's, having read his two memoirs at least 5-6 times over the years. Very good reads. RIP Frank.

lol at the woman laughing hysterically, sitting behind your man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Is the claim that his book was written by some prisoner correct?

I'd love to hear more about all this also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

basquille wrote: »
    Author of Angela's Ashes.

Admires Alliteration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

just watched a few secs of that link, that is Gerry Hannon, who wrote counter books which were utter lies - i know this because he mentioned my own family in his book. What he wrote was completley out of context and in my opinion just a way making of money. fair play to frank to speakin the truth and even though limerick people didnt like it he (frank) told it how it was in
    in limerick at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If it wasn't wet enough this sumer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I wonder where all the Frank McCourt critics are now that the Ryan report came out. I know that he didn't suffer any institutional abuse but he did suffer in miserable Ireland. Not the idilyic land that the critics say it was. I loved the story and never doubted the truth of the story. It was such a good read and full of wit.

Glad he got some rewards later in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Great writer. I got to tell him so in person one day too, which I was delighted about.

Thanks a lot Frank. The best proof we have that it is better late than never.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

femur61 wrote: »
    I wonder where all the Frank McCourt critics are now

The people who criticized him never read the books. They got some notion off something somebody else said to them.

Read the goddamn books people! Then have your say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

RIP. Frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Nice suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

He was Ireland's entry into the turgid 'abused childhood' bookheap. 'My Godawful Life' by Sunny McCreary was much better.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

They're making a film out of Teacher Man too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teacher_Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811104/

Dunno who's gonna be in it as you need imdb pro.
    edit: Think Gerald Butler is going to play Frank.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0124930/

THIS. IS. MCKEE VOCATIONAL AND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That guy in the video is Gerry Hannon. He presents a show on pirate radio in Limerick and is a massive tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

rip Frank.

I didn't know you but you gave my irrational prejudice against Limerick a measure of justification and literary gravitas.

I hope you don't mind the lower-case rip, as I feel that - unlike Diana and Micheal - your level of celebrity didn't quite warrant an upper-case public display of sorrowful flagellation.

Yours,

Stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

All very well but what if McCourt's father had stayed in Broklyn and Frank had the same miserable upbringing - pretty much. Would Americans have lapped that up?

The end of the story - with Frank back in America, is the American Dream. His father had gone home, and that was heresy, so Americans wanted to hear how bad it was in the Old Country. Frank redeemed his father's mistake by going back.

Frank's second book, mildly critical of America in parts, was less successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I was on the set of Angela's Ashes when it was filmed in Limerick. I thought it was hilarious that they needed a rain machine.

It hasn't stopped pissing here since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Meller wrote: »
    i always thought he was dead... 78 is a lot younger than i expected. for some reason i thought it was set in like, the 1900s :confused:

anyway, rip.

Err, it was set in the 1900's. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

K4t wrote: »
    He wrote it. It's about his childhood growing up in poverty in Limerick in the 30s and 40s. There's also a film adaptation which is very good too.

RIP.

That's come under question...that he wrote it and it's about him growing up. Theres talk that it was basically an adaption of his play A couple of blaguards which was a work of fiction and written by several people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

R.I.P Frank, a great writer and not afraid to call and spade a spade and tell it as it is.

Advertisement