Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone phone robbed told it wasn't used then a €1200 bill a month later.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The vodafone website can take 2-3 days to show calls

Please don't say that this is true... o2 have the call details available online very swiftly, and I never stop giving out about their crap web services.... in the belief that surely every body else was providing a better service... come back 02 all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

eth0_ wrote: »
    A> They told her no calls had been made between the time the phone was stolen, and her reporting it the next day.

B> How could anyone run up 1200 euro in <24 hours?

From Vodafone's website, it's €3.99/minute to Kenya.

So €1200 would take 300 minutes.

So unless they made the call the moment they robbed the phone and stayed on it for 5 hours (must have had a charger handy!), it's difficult to see how they ran up a bill of €1200 on calls to Kenya overnight.

[edit] Corrected post, it's 3.99 not 2.50 per minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MOH wrote: »
    From Vodafone's website, it's €3.99/minute to Kenya.

So €1200 would take 300 minutes.

So unless they made the call the moment they robbed the phone and stayed on it for 5 hours (must have had a charger handy!), it's difficult to see how they ran up a bill of €1200 on calls to Kenya overnight.

[edit] Corrected post, it's 3.99 not 2.50 per minute
    As someone mentioned alread there are premium rate numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

Brothers missus had a phone robbed in Galway last month, She only discovered the following morning and went to Vodafone immediately.

She thought nothing of it and asked at the shop if the phone had been used that night, they checked it up on computer in front of her and said that it wasn't used,

Anyway she got a new replacement bill phone with a years contract.

A month later she gets a bill for €1200 added up the night it was robbed, calls of up to 2 hours made to Kenya . (Her normal bills rarely exceeded €50 for the previous 2 years)

She disputed this on the grounds that they said that the phone was not used when she first reported. She claimed she could have contacted the Gardai over the bill if they told her at the time.

She is also believes that they didn't tell her of the €1200 in case it put her off renewing the contract with the new phone.

To cut a long story short after a long dispute and the Vodafone rep was not very helpful and rude, they want her to pay 50/50. She is still disputing this and claims she owes them nothing, Anyone have similar experiences with Vodafone? Has she a case?

she has a case only if it is clearly logged that she reported it stolen, and generally the shop clerk cannot see what calls were made the night before... some cases it only allows to see what calls were made a few days before, so may not have shown up till the next day (if u know what i mean)..... its all down to what notes have been left in her account (feck all if just a shop assistant she was dealing with as opposed to a cust service rep)..... also if has insurance may help to fill out a claim form.
    Keep bitching and aks was it noted that she reported it missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i know there are premium rate numbers but the person who took the phone would have to been really losuy to ring up these numbers that much. WHich i suppose is possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do a Data Protection claim for the CCTV of the shop you reported it to, they have to have footage of you reporting it, might get them to think twice.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Do a Data Protection claim for the CCTV of the shop you reported it to, they have to have footage of you reporting it, might get them to think twice.

MC

Might be hard to get the images now considering they only have to hold them for 28 days IIRC and the requesting party has to pay €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Do they have sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

MC
    What is a Data Protection claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

Please don't say that this is true... o2 have the call details available online very swiftly, and I never stop giving out about their crap web services.... in the belief that surely every body else was providing a better service... come back 02 all is forgiven.

Sorry, but I beg to differ on that - I use my phone in the UK a lot, and for calling the uk a lot. On ending my account it took o2 a total of 3 adjusted final bills over 3 months to bill all of the last months of my usage :) that was only a year ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

As someone mentioned alread there are premium rate numbers.

Yes, but the OP clearly states that the bill was run up due to calls to Kenya, nothing about premium rate numbers.

Besides which, I doubt there's premium rate number that cost more than €3.99/minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MOH wrote: »
    Yes, but the OP clearly states that the bill was run up due to calls to Kenya, nothing about premium rate numbers.

Besides which, I doubt there's premium rate number that cost more than €3.99/minute
    Premium rate can be in Kenya, Vodafone have yet to give the breakdown of the calls made that night. you are dealing with scammers.

Advertisement