Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cronos wrote: »
    How much of a bargin is this PC?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_9846.htm

They provide 4gig of RAM but the 32bit version of Vista? It has an older Phenom 1 and a weak video card if you intend gaming. There's a decent size hard disk and a 802.11n Wifi card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Well I want a gaming PC so I doubt this will be the best option then. I have a 1080p HD 32 inch tv I want to play PC games on. I guess I will be building myself. Any great deals going on at the moment within a 700 to 800 euro budget?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Well I want a gaming PC so I doubt this will be the best option then. I have a 1080p HD 32 inch tv I want to play PC games on. I guess I will be building myself. Any great deals going on at the moment within a 700 to 800 euro budget?

Not for you I'm afraid even much better cards than the GPU in that Alid PC card will absolutely cake on a 32" HDTV. Bit too late now but I will give some positive suggestions in the morning if no-one else has got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Great value pc for the average sims player tho. This with a graphics upgrage is a nice little gaming pc

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

The GPU in that computer would probably crap itself if you connected it to that TV.

You would be way better off building it yourself. Or do the easy thing, take a build list off solitaire. Pick all the parts off hardwareversand and pay them the €20 to build it for you ;)

You would get a better computer more orientated towards gaming if you built it yourself. Plus it wouldn't be in a cheapo looking case :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just noticed that that is a first gen Phenom processor not a Phenom II as well.

Soltaire made a nice sub 500 Euro build that can that is essentially an entry level Gaming rig for HD resolutions a few days back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61205923&postcount=230

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Problem is, the Superflower is crap so you have to add €40 to the build so you can get a Corsair VX550 or EarthWatts EA650 :( I wouldn't try sticking a 95W CPU and a 120-130W GPU on a wee Corsair CX400 :o
    Plus it wouldn't be in a cheapo looking case :rolleyes:

I actually like Medion's recent case styles :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bit of exaggerating going on; the 4550 is an excellent budget performer.

Runs Call of Duty 4 at 1440x900 max settings pretty well - now I'm aware COD4 is not an overly graphically intensive game but it's a popular and relatively modern FPS title.

Agreed it would be dire at 1920x1080 but all in all it's not a bad card.

Bit of exaggerating going on; the 4550 is an excellent budget performer.

Runs Call of Duty 4 at 1440x900 max settings pretty well - now I'm aware COD4 is not an overly graphically intensive game but it's a popular and relatively modern FPS title.

Agreed it would be dire at 1920x1080 but all in all it's not a bad card.

Guilty as charged, I didn't used to be a HD snob :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For EUR500- its rather pricey. I can't see how you could justify buying it tbh

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    For EUR500- its rather pricey. I can't see how you could justify buying it tbh

How so? I think you'd be fairly hard pressed to knock up a similar system when you consider extras such as Draft-N, keyboard/mouse, card reader, and the free upgrade to Win7. Not to mention you wouldn't find a similar system in retail for 499. Using Komplett a machine spec'd to the same level (which an arguably inferior case and excluding the extras of KB/Mouse/Upgrade to Win7/Card reader) comes to 506 exc. delivery.

How so? I think you'd be fairly hard pressed to knock up a similar system when you consider extras such as Draft-N, keyboard/mouse, card reader, and the free upgrade to Win7. Not to mention you wouldn't find a similar system in retail for 499. Using Komplett a machine spec'd to the same level (which an arguably inferior case and excluding the extras of KB/Mouse/Upgrade to Win7/Card reader) comes to 506 exc. delivery.

I picked up an Acer Revo with:

500Gb HDD
    Wireless N & Gigabit LAN
    Geforce 9400M GT graphics
    N320 Processor
    HDMI
    4Gb Crucial CL4 PC6400 RAM
    'Apple Style' Wireless keyboard and mouse
    Games Controller
    Hitachi e-SATA external DVD burner

Vista HP with Windows 7 Upgrade
    Nero 9

Total EUR 412

I accept you're not going to play games on it- but its an example for you of what you can get if you're willing to do a little exploring and playing with components. The base Revo360 came incl. of shipping for EUR180 from Taiwan- with wireless N, the 500Gb HDD and gigabit LAN- the OEM Vista and memory are from Komplett, Bluray burner from adverts.ie in an eSATA enclosure from overclockers.co.uk, Nero 9 from Aria- etc)

(note: parts came from ebay, overclockers.co.uk, komplett, aria and adverts.ie (for the external bluray burner)).

If you're looking for an off-the-shelf system and don't want to play with upgrading it yourself- the Aldi Machine while not cutting edge, is more than sufficient, and has a 3 year warranty- which is very generous when compared to alternates.

S.

I picked up an Acer Revo with:

500Gb HDD
    Wireless N & Gigabit LAN
    Geforce 9400M GT graphics
    N320 Processor
    HDMI
    4Gb Crucial CL4 PC6400 RAM
    'Apple Style' Wireless keyboard and mouse
    Games Controller
    Hitachi e-SATA external DVD burner

Vista HP with Windows 7 Upgrade
    Nero 9

Total EUR 412

I accept you're not going to play games on it- but its an example for you of what you can get if you're willing to do a little exploring and playing with components. The base Revo360 came incl. of shipping for EUR180 from Taiwan- with wireless N, the 500Gb HDD and gigabit LAN- the OEM Vista and memory are from Komplett, Bluray burner from adverts.ie in an eSATA enclosure from overclockers.co.uk, Nero 9 from Aria- etc)

(note: parts came from ebay, overclockers.co.uk, komplett, aria and adverts.ie (for the external bluray burner)).

If you're looking for an off-the-shelf system and don't want to play with upgrading it yourself- the Aldi Machine while not cutting edge, is more than sufficient, and has a 3 year warranty- which is very generous when compared to alternates.

S.

No offence but that has to be one of the worst comparisons you could make.

N320 vs 9650: That's like comparing a stone and a gun.

9400GT vs 4550: 4550 is much, much faster (that's a 9400M to boot not 9400GT). If you wanted to specifically compare machines running say, Call of Duty 4, you'd be looking at the Aldi build being about 500% faster at a guess.

500GB vs 640GB: Speaks for itself.

One of your parts is also second hand.

I'm not saying you don't have a nice setup but to use it as a basis for arguing the Aldi machine isn't good value is....well, laughable seeing as its about 20% as powerful as it.

OK- meshcomputers.com- slightly more expensive, but has better components, bluray reader etc.

Micro ATX Chasis
    ASUS P5KPL-AM Mainboard
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium SP1, 64-bit + Windows 7 Upgrade
    Cyberlink BluRay Version (PowerDVD, Power2Go, PowerProducer)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor
    4GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    512MB ATI Radeon HD4550 (Direct X10.1, PCI Express 2.0)
    1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer
    Blu-Ray Combo Optical Drive (BluRay read, DVD and CD read and write)
    Multi-Format Memory Card Reader
    7.1 High Definition onboard sound card
    Logitech Deluxe Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    3 Years RTB Hardware Warranty - (1st year parts & labour, years 2 & 3 labour only)

Sterling £581 EUR660 incl. of VAT and delivery.

Its 160 more than the Aldi- but a totally different beastie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

^
    Not really, that Aldi machine is still probably better, looking at core hardware

OK- meshcomputers.com- slightly more expensive, but has better components, bluray reader etc.

Micro ATX Chasis
    ASUS P5KPL-AM Mainboard
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium SP1, 64-bit + Windows 7 Upgrade
    Cyberlink BluRay Version (PowerDVD, Power2Go, PowerProducer)
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor
    4GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    512MB ATI Radeon HD4550 (Direct X10.1, PCI Express 2.0)
    1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer
    Blu-Ray Combo Optical Drive (BluRay read, DVD and CD read and write)
    Multi-Format Memory Card Reader
    7.1 High Definition onboard sound card
    Logitech Deluxe Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    3 Years RTB Hardware Warranty - (1st year parts & labour, years 2 & 3 labour only)

Sterling £581 EUR660 incl. of VAT and delivery.

Its 160 more than the Aldi- but a totally different beastie?

It's also an entire 30% more expensive....which makes it another pointless comparison. You could throw a Blu-Ray player into the Aldi machine for about 90 euro, which would make it 590 complete with Blu-ray capability. For the extra 70 you could get a second 640GB drive giving you 1.28TB for the 660. Plus at the end of the day 1) The Aldi still has a better warranty and 2) its a retail store you can walk into re: returns and purchasing alike and 3) it still has the nice extra of Draft-N. Not sure why you're so intent on disproving the Aldi machine, its a bargain really, no way around it. :D

Advertisement