Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What period of dance music would you most like to have been involved in?

• 20-07-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I ask this Q as I'm in Ibiza for the summer...I love, love, love the place...but can't help feel that the rip off prices here (luckily I haven't paid in to a club here once) screams of the island selling its soul to the devil. Though I have never posted in the oldschool/asylum forum, the enthusiasm those guys have for dance music is, in my opinion, not on a par with the enthusiasm on show these days. There is no Dublin "scene", promoters are greedy f7cks, etc,etc...
    dance music is my obsession, but taking away fro what kind of music you're in to (I'm a minimal,techno,deep house man incidentally) what period of dance music would you most like to have been a part of.....? For me, the Hacienda days in Madvhester/England really seems like the time I would have....I'll break it up in to four categories

1) Hadienda days - circa mid-late 80's
    2) Ibiza uncovered/trance days - mid 90's - early 00's
    3) Electroclash period- early 00's -2003 - when felix and Dj Hell reigned supreme
    4) Present day - minimal techo and deep house are the sound of the day, yet Irish clubs close at 3am/Ibizan clubs close at 6

Would be nice to hear some (hopefully unbiased) opinions.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Whatever happened to electroclash ? I was only 10 or 11 back when it was big but these days its very rare.
    I love listening to electroclash i would of liked if it had came about a little later as i was to young at the time:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

What do you mean there is no Dublin "scene"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Would have loved to have been in London and involved in the scene just a few years ago, when nights like Insekt were on regularly. Around 2002-2006 I guess...

I'd say there was a fair bit of great dance music between the decline of the Hacienda and the rise of trance. The era you omit, the early 90s, is the one I remember best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why is there no early 90's choice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Modern Day Tech House & Techno etc gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I just missed the early acid house scene :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I kinda like where I am now. The electro scene is still going off, but has been around for long enough now that the hype and marketing around it has died away, leaving the artists to do their thing. Early 90's is coming back, bright clothes and poverty are order of the day. Nobody has enough money these days for marketing to affect their taste in music like it has been the last few years, I think we are entering a new era of dance music, one where we have music for music's sake. Either that or it will be **** because no one will make music as there'd be no money in it. Only time will tell.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Interesting point. Not sure how it will be affected but will be interesting to find out.

IMO people should be out there making music for the love of the music, not the money. If you can make a very decent living doing something you are massively passionate about and have an amazingly fun time doing it - while also giving pleasure to thousands of others, you should be incredibly thankful as you are luckier / more privileged than 99.999% of people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

What do you mean there is no Dublin "scene"?

What I mean by that is that the community spirit of dance music is no more. Have you t2 some of the Dublin promoters? I can get in free to clubs in Ibiza easier than I can at home - they're wa1nkers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Zascar wrote: »
    Modern Day Tech House & Techno etc gets my vote

Yeah but don't you feel that fcck all people are in to it? I mean in all fairness, even the asylum sounds like better craic than a half empty wax......I agree that the music is better now (and we're both admittedly biased there) but I'd say it was more fun back then tbh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Yeah but don't you feel that fcck all people are in to it? I mean in all fairness, even the asylum sounds like better craic than a half empty wax......I agree that the music is better now (and we're both admittedly biased there) but I'd say it was more fun back then tbh.....
    people just have more options nowadays.im sure there are regulars at most successful nights but back in the begining of dance music in ireland there was few choices so naturally people congrigated at the few places it could be heard.

id also say that once a form of music becomes popular the "scene" and community dies away because theres no need for people to band together when the music they want is so readily available.

im sure in the lesser like areas of dance music(dubstep,d&b etc)there is a more tighly knit scene than in the more popular genres.

but its also due to the internet and how we get information that the scene has dies off.todays scenes are pretty much all contained in website form.people used to have to band together to find out information about tracks,djs,clubnights.
    now all they gotta do is hop online and find out anything they need to know.
    i definitely believe the passion is still there.the passion you say the oldschoolers have is just them reminiscing.
    there era was before the internet and as such the only record of it was from shared stories.

its not catalogued like most stuff these days on the internet.

its all just a sign of the times unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Quite fancy spinning the old 78s on a gramaphone back in the Roaring Twenties to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Well i was very lucky to have lived the Rave dream almost from the start <snip> But i regret not being there from 1987 in Ibiza, Shoom/Spectrum in London, Hacienda in Manchester,etc,it was really 1988 that Acid House started to get massive and this was the biggest music and youth revolution since the 1960's (possibly ever) and changed the face of music forever, i was lucky i got heavily involved in 1990 the year of Madchester and Bleep,1990 for me remains the best year of all time musically and probably on a personal level everything that year was amazing,the 1990's for the most part where an amazing time or dance music and there is no other scene can ever compare to it!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I regret not seeing/experiencing it from an earlier stage - for me it started probably in 1992 or so in terms of the music but from a clubbing perspective not till 1994.

I would love to have been around for the early acid house period purely because that was the beginning but now that period of music certainly wouldn't be my preference... it was still quite raw and rough around the edges then and I think it matured nicely by the early 90s and has continued to evolve into so many amazing areas/genres of music over the years. I am as passionate now as ever about electronic music in its many forms, even though my feet don't so much as touch a dance-floor anymore...

In a nutshell, I'm happy with every period of electronic music that I've had the pleasure of experiencing over the years and I look forward to lots more! Even if I'm only listening at home, in the car, on planes, tubes, trains, buses etc etc etc :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I regret not seeing/experiencing it from an earlier stage - for me it started probably in 1992 or so in terms of the music but from a clubbing perspective not till 1994.

I would love to have been around for the early acid house period purely because that was the beginning but now that period of music certainly wouldn't be my preference... it was still quite raw and rough around the edges then and I think it matured nicely by the early 90s and has continued to evolve into so many amazing areas/genres of music over the years. I am as passionate now as ever about electronic music in its many forms, even though my feet don't so much as touch a dance-floor anymore...

In a nutshell, I'm happy with every period of electronic music that I've had the pleasure of experiencing over the years and I look forward to lots more! Even if I'm only listening at home, in the car, on planes, tubes, trains, buses etc etc etc :pac:
    I'm pretty similar to this - nearly exactly to be honest. I think the Asylum closed when I was about 15/16, so I just missed out on that phase. I went to the SFX, Tivoli, Ormonde, then moving on to the System later on. Mid to late 90s were the peak of my clubbing years, late teens early 20s.

Started collecting vinyl with the Prodigy and SoundCrowd - Energy Rush was one of my first I think, 1993. Bought my first set of decks when I was 16, and spent a fortune on music over the few years following that!

No regrets though, yea it might have been better to have been around Dublin a couple of years before I was, but I'm pretty happy with how the music has evolved and am as much into the music now as I ever was

jonny68 wrote: »
    Well i was very lucky to have lived the Rave dream almost from the start <snip> But i regret not being there from 1987 in Ibiza, Shoom/Spectrum in London, Hacienda in Manchester,etc,it was really 1988 that Acid House started to get massive and this was the biggest music and youth revolution since the 1960's (possibly ever) and changed the face of music forever

Bit younger than you. For me it didn't really start until 1992, when I was sent to Cork for an education and was old enough to get into clubs. So just about caught the tail end of it all. But would love to have been one of those people driving around services off motorways in Britain in 1989 or so, looking for the location of the next rave, or maybe in some club in the North of England at that time, seeing acts like LFO tear up the rulebook.

There must have been some incredible feeling in the whole scene then, evading the law, protesting against Thatcher, the energy, the optimism, like being a punk in '77, knowing nothing in music, in politics or indeed in life would ever be the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Ibiza uncovered/trance days - mid 90's - early 00'sWould be the ones I wish I was around for. I prefer the music coming out now to any of the rest of it, but from what I hear of the scene at the time it was incredible.Wish I'd gone to the temple and seen what the fuss was about too.

That's a very good point. Even though I think the music now is the best, I'm sure most people would agree that if you could time travel to go clubbing in any place in any year, the overall veel/fibe/atmosphere in the haydays of Ibiza etc or even the warehouse raves in the Uk, would defintely be an incredible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

hi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Ibiza uncovered/trance days - mid 90's - early 00'sWould be the ones I wish I was around for. I prefer the music coming out now to any of the rest of it, but from what I hear of the scene at the time it was incredible.Wish I'd gone to the temple and seen what the fuss was about too.
    god that made me feel old.is that really considered a time that people would want to revisit.it doesnt feel that long ago when ibiza uncovered was on the go.
    i was into trance back then and definitely have to put the temple theatre down as one of the best experiences clubbing.made the trip up a good few times and every single time it was fantastic

Sadly I'm only twenty... all clubbing experience is in the last 2-3 years. Poxy ID strictness.

Zascar wrote: »
    That's a very good point. Even though I think the music now is the best, I'm sure most people would agree that if you could time travel to go clubbing in any place in any year, the overall veel/fibe/atmosphere in the haydays of Ibiza etc or even the warehouse raves in the Uk, would defintely be an incredible experience.

That really is the answer to all this time of old versus new debates and heated discussions... some of which ended in tears (I cried numerous times after debating the issue with sean and jsuited :p :pac: ), bans etc...

The music is as good as ever and offers more today probably in terms of its diversity than it ever did - the difference it seems is when the clubs and general scene are compared, and that also includes the quality of the drugs from what I gather - I don't do 'e' anymore but from what I've heard they are not a patch on what they were way back - if ketamine, coke and being p*ssed is order of the day now, I certainly wouldn't be too keen spending much time in clubs.

That said, I would still love to hear more current music in a club environment, they just don't sound too attractive from what I've read in general on boards.

Yeah I've heard the same. And when theyve decreased in price so much the quality is going to go downhill too.As for modern music in a club, it's not as if it's awful. Just perhaps not as good as it was/could be

Modern scene is not crap by any standards, its fantastic!

But I can't help wondering if it might have been different in a good way when it was all fresh and new, acid/drug scene totally obvivious to most so it would have just been a huge eye opener - which would make it very special in a way. If you get my drift..

Well that I would think was a huge part, the fact that it was new - even when I started in 1994 dance music was relatively new and for me it was quite a shift in social scene... from knacker drinking and a few spliffs in a field, park, lane, house if we were lucky (bit of an exaggeration, we did go to places with a bar and dance floor too, such as the Zoo Bar - I don't have good memories of there though) :pac: and listening to whatever was 'in' at the time, most likely the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and all the other late 80's/early 90's Manchester type music to getting into the whole E scene and literally being blown away by this completely new experience.... from a drugs, music, club, party perspective.

I had been listening also to electronic/dance music prior to my first clubbing experience, but it all made sense the first time I dropped an E and danced non stop for about 3 or 4 hours, with a big smile on my face the whole time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

this was the biggest music and youth revolution since the 1960's (possibly ever) and changed the face of music forever

A revolution? Really. What was the message? What was achieved?
    In the late 1970s there were all night clubs all over northern England where people went to dance take drugs and stay up all night. The more progressive clubs played philly soul, early disco and even funk. Northern soul was preceded by the mods and rave evolved from that. As soon as it popped it's head above ground it was subsumed by commercial club culture within 10 years and is now used to sell soft drinks, 4x4s and aftershave.
    Music has been constantly evolving for thousands of years and all styles still exist and are being explored.
    What did "dance culture" change that didn't exist already and wasn't lost in the come down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The one that's going on right now.

I vividly remember walking up the steps of the RedBox for the first time when i had just turned 18. I had only got into dance music a while before but had to heard much proper club music / techno - and walking into a packed cranking RedBox with that turbosound system vibrating your soul - was an incredible experience I'll cherish forever. I barely even drank in those days, few red bulls and I'd drive everyone around etc - but I danced more than anyone and was always up for going out (those were the days).

• Advertisement

cL0h wrote: »
    What did "dance culture" change that didn't exist already and wasn't lost in the come down?

I'm not sure that dance music changed much, maybe it heralded the introduction of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in the UK which was copied here. It also gave an outlet/market for the drug 'E'. Many attribute the use of 'E' to some social changes, such as the reduction of football hooliganism in the late 80s - people claim that crowds did actually get more loved up and friendly.

I guess, more than being the catalyst for what happened in politics or society, it provided the soundtrack for that time. For example I can think of many events, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the first Gulf War, the conflict in Bosnia etc. etc. and associate them with the arrival of dance music. And that's not just me, or other fans of dance, if you watch any history programme now on the late 80s and early 90s, such as Andrew Marsden's examination of the Thatcher Era, the background music is dance. If you were to see a picture of the shootings at Kent State during the War in Vietnam you associate it with songs like 'San Francisco' and bands like Jefferson Airplane, if you see a clip of the Queen's silver jubilee the band that is playing is the Sex Pistols. Dance music is the soundtrack for my generation.

cL0h wrote: »
    A revolution? Really. What was the message? What was achieved?
    In the late 1970s there were all night clubs all over northern England where people went to dance take drugs and stay up all night. The more progressive clubs played philly soul, early disco and even funk. Northern soul was preceded by the mods and rave evolved from that. As soon as it popped it's head above ground it was subsumed by commercial club culture within 10 years and is now used to sell soft drinks, 4x4s and aftershave.
    Music has been constantly evolving for thousands of years and all styles still exist and are being explored.

Acid House and Ecstasy brought people together like never before, you simply cannot compare Northern Soul club nights to Acid House it was completly and uttrly different (i like Northern Soul for the record)

In seminal clubs like The Hacienda, Shoom, Spectrum and Clink St you had people from completely different walks of life, solicitors, builders, doctors, stuents you name it, you had rival football hooligans who would normally be looking to kill each other embracing each other on the dance floor loved up dancing to the euphoric sounds of Acid House,Ecstasy the love drug brought these people together and the classic sounds of Acid House was the soundtrack.

Acid House changed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people for the better,prior to Acid House it would have been impossible to ever get such a diverse amount of people coming together in some warehouse or field or club and feeling the absolute best time of their lives like no other, there has never been anything like it and probably never will be again,i could go into a 10 page post about this but i think people get the message,id suggest reading Simon Reynolds amazing book Energy Flash for a comphrensive insight Acid House and Rave Culture.

http://www.fantazia.org.uk/Scene/themusic.htm

a few years old but a good piece on the Fantazia website.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Acid House and Ecstasy brought people together like never before

That was mostly the ecstasy though surely, i mean if you fed rival hooligans a handful of yokes and played them rock music in a warehouse then they'd have an unreal time aswell.

That was mostly the ecstasy though surely, i mean if you fed rival hooligans a handful of yokes and played them rock music in a warehouse then they'd have an unreal time aswell.

eh i shouldnt imagine so mate, Rock music and Ecstasy are like chalk and cheese, Acid House and Ecstasy go hand in hand ;)

eh i shouldnt imagine so mate, Rock music and Ecstasy are like chalk and cheese, Acid House and Ecstasy go hand in hand ;)

You konw what i mean though, the only reason people say they go together is because acid house was popular when places like the asylum and sides were getting popular.

If minimal was popular back then and acid house was popular now then you'd be saying that Acid house is shíte and minimal isn't. IMO it wasn't really the music that people enjoyed most, it was the drugs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Bollocks, when i started taking pills me and my mates were all listening to metal. The music that you are into brings you up. Ever listen to some classic orchestral pieces on a pill, just for the odd shock and change of pace?

Don't get me wrong, i still maintain that it's only through having done drugs that i actually even GET "dance" music in the first place....the first time i heard DnB on pills i actually understood the point of it, which i had missed before.

But basically what i am saying is, if you get a thrill off a song straight, you'll get the same thrill amplified on a pill, regardless of the musical genre.

You konw what i mean though, the only reason people say they go together is because acid house was popular when places like the asylum and sides were getting popular.

If minimal was popular back then and acid house was popular now then you'd be saying that Acid house is shíte and minimal isn't. IMO it wasn't really the music that people enjoyed most, it was the drugs :pac:

that has to be the most bizzare comment ive ever read on here :eek:

Dragan wrote: »
    Bollocks, when i started taking pills me and my mates were all listening to metal. The music that you are into brings you up. Ever listen to some classic orchestral pieces on a pill, just for the odd shock and change of pace?

Don't get me wrong, i still maintain that it's only through having done drugs that i actually even GET "dance" music in the first place....the first time i heard DnB on pills i actually understood the point of it, which i had missed before.

But basically what i am saying is, if you get a thrill off a song straight, you'll get the same thrill amplified on a pill, regardless of the musical genre.

ive taken thousands of E's mate andd listened to many different types of music whilst under the influence and mostly had a bad buzz if it wasn't dance orientated music, heavy metal on Ecstasy sounds truly awful, fcuk that ****:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hard Shaw

Dragan is on the ball. You start throwing pills out at a neo nazi gig and they will be loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hard Shaw

that has to be the most bizzare comment ive ever read on here :eek:
    That statement is the most bizarre I have read so far in my 20 minutes on boards. His made plenty of sense.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    The one that's going on right now.

Damn right.I can't wait to see what possibilites future software/ analog gear will bring.

Hard Shaw wrote: »
    Dragan is on the ball. You start throwing pills out at a neo nazi gig and they will be loving it.

eh ok right :eek:

heavy metal on Ecstasy sounds truly awful, fcuk that

Surely it can't sound any worse than normal????

I'm sure rock music and E is not exclusive. In the same way that dance fans could, if they wanted, also do mullets, denim and lots of shouting and miming the playing of keyboards. But on the other hand, not sure it would work either...

Dance music goes hand in hand with Ecstasy - just like rockers and heavy metal with long hair and body odor!
    :p

I'm sure rock music and E is not exclusive. In the same way that dance fans could, if they wanted, also do mullets, denim and lots of shouting and miming the playing of keyboards. But on the other hand, not sure it would work either...
    Hahahah can you imagine everyone in a club doing "air drums"

Yeah, or everyone trying to slamdance and punch and kick and mosh, and ending up hugging each other!

Advertisement