Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with the helicopter??

Options
  • 20-07-2009 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hovering above moylaragh I think it was just now for the last 10 mins??

Was one a few weeks ago too around westbrook with the searchlight on, really loud! Anybody else hear it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The cops or the coastguard I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dotts1977

Thought I was dreaming! The noise was so loud it woke us up on Hamlet Lane! Haven't heard of anything happening on the news but if it was serious, no doubt it'll be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

[FONT=&quot]Yup, i heard it too...

Just before i heard the helicopter, the sound of tyres screeching woke me. I was almost like someone was doing loads of handbrake turns.[/FONT]

I heard lots of screeching of tyres but thought that was about 11pm....what time was the helicopter around? Was that not about 3am?

dotts1977 wrote: »
    I heard lots of screeching of tyres but thought that was about 11pm....what time was the helicopter around? Was that not about 3am?

I'm sure both the screeching and the helicopter was around the same time for me! I'm almost sure it was around 2:30am :rolleyes: Could be wrong...i was half asleep mind! :p

• Advertisement

I could be too! There's that many screeching tyres at all hours it's hard to tell! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 williamsjos

Screehing tyres started was about 11.30.Didn't hear the helicopter and I went asleep at about 12 but my other half thought she heard it about 2.30 or 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 williamsjos

Just remembering the coastguard was also over the house at about 6.30 last night also. As my daughter ran out to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

i heard the helicopter about 3am and it was hovering for a while,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I saw it last night right before 3am, just like you guys said, really really loud!! It didnt have a searchlight on, but I could see a really large dim red light coming from under the nose.. infra-red?

Be sure to write here if any of yas hear more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

I heard screeching tyres too but can't remember what time, didn't really put the two together but you never know!

Infra-red? Surely not

Infra-red? Surely not

What else could it be? It was 3am, without the infra-red/heat vision, whatever ya wanna call it, how could they see anything from way up there?

Yeah I suppose, I just wanna know what's goin on. It's ridiculously loud!

Very true, when I saw it it looked to be over Rush main street, is it turning up in other places?

Yeah I didn't mention, i'm in Balbriggan by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Yeah heard it too at around 3am. Was really loud and annoying. No search light just a bright red light.

What needs to have happened to justify keeping half of Balbriggan awake like that - and it was a bit creepy too listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I was kept awake from 1.30am with the tyres screeching from a greenish colour car, then 2 garda cars joined in then 30mins later a garda car-van joined in.

Along comes garda helicopter around an hour later and stayed for at least another hour. During this time the car that the guards were chasing crashed into the railings that separates Castle Mill with an estate/duplex houses.

Tow truck arrives and one squad car stays for less than a min, gets a call on their radio and screeches off, meanwhile the 2 other garda cars are going around the newhaven estate and the other estates while the helicopter is doing circles overhead...

Was driven demented with the screeching and copter noise... Eventually calmed down for around 3.30am

I was kept awake from 1.30am with the tyres screeching from a greenish colour car, then 2 garda cars joined in then 30mins later a garda car-van joined in....Eventually calmed down for around 3.30am

It's ridiculous, to think the gardai where chasing these idiots around for over an hour if what northdubgal said is accurate. Going round and round the estates like that ?!?
    Was there much damage done at all?

Sooo, if all this was happening in Balbriggan.. what was the chopper doing over Rush?

LaFleur wrote: »
    It's ridiculous, to think the gardai where chasing these idiots around for over an hour if what northdubgal said is accurate. Going round and round the estates like that ?!?
    Was there much damage done at all?

No, I drove past the crash area this morning but I couldn't see a thing, no glass or anything, the lads just crashed the car and legged it from the guards.

But to have the helicopter out for an hour must mean it was something/someone serious.

The guards chasing cars around here happens at least once a fortnight, but having 3 garda cars in total and a helicopter is a new thing, I'm curious now as to what was going on but earlier this morning I was cursing the lot of them!

God I feel like one of those old women, the curtain twitchers :eek: :o ok next I will get getting cats :P

• Advertisement

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Sooo, if all this was happening in Balbriggan.. what was the chopper doing over Rush?

What time was it over Rush at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sounded like it was right over my place for a while, (live just opposite Castlemill), nosey ba$tards.

Looked out the window but couldn't see a thing:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

I was going to bed at 12.30 and the guards were driving up and down barons hall grove really slowly looking in at all the houses? Presume it was something to do with this crash?

And I shot outta the bed at 3.15am when heard the helicopter over the house. Thats twice since moved to Balbriggan I've got fright of my life in middle of night! Remember the "air raid" siren coming from Wavin about a year ago!

Dont think the guards would waste the helicopper though unless there was something serious going down... Anyone in neighbourhood watch can contact guards about it and they often let you know what has happened...can't do this myself tho cos none of my neighbours acknowledge me when I mention setting it up for us :confused:

Maybe it was Apache Helicopter...

suzieb wrote: »
    I was going to bed at 12.30 and the guards were driving up and down barons hall grove really slowly looking in at all the houses? Presume it was something to do with this crash?

And I shot outta the bed at 3.15am when heard the helicopter over the house. Thats twice since moved to Balbriggan I've got fright of my life in middle of night! Remember the "air raid" siren coming from Wavin about a year ago!

Dont think the guards would waste the helicopper though unless there was something serious going down... Anyone in neighbourhood watch can contact guards about it and they often let you know what has happened...can't do this myself tho cos none of my neighbours acknowledge me when I mention setting it up for us :confused:

Which estate is baron's hall again?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Chopper was in Rush just after 3:30am. Sounds like it came straight across from Balbriggan.
    It hovered over the national school while shining the search light on the church car park. It flicked the light off to the opposite side of the main street a few times but mainly concentrated on the car park. Went off briefly and came back again. Search light on again, same thing.
    Stayed for about 20 minutes in total.

Very loud, had to get out of bed to look as there's no way you'd sleep with that thing in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Which estate is baron's hall again?!

Come on its not like there's lotsa new houses being built in the area :D
    Its on opposite side of big green to moylaragh iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They dont waste fuel in the helicopter. They were most likley after getting reports of that car speeding. July and August are the months most people get killed on Irish roads so that may have something to do with it. That helicopter is so noisy its unreal

There are quite a few checkpoints around lately. Got stopped twice last week coming home from games and on Sunday in Rush they were too busy to pull me over as they had quite a few cars lined up and were busy writing tickets at 12.55p.m. The street was busy with people coming from mass

Usually you hear complaints about them stopping on Main St but I heard nothing but praise from locals who are sick of speeding cars and the noise some of them create.

What time was it over Rush at?

I know someone about said 3.30ish, and I dont disagree with that, but the one time I bothered to look out and see the chopper it said 2.57 on my computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ADzER

QOTSA90 i disagree , when i looked out my window it was more in the 2:59 region ??

Advertisement