Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Egan in News of the World

Options
  • 20-07-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Article about him in yesterday's paper.

One of the worst articles I've read, and I would imagine he has been miquoted.

" I am determined to be crowned champion by this time next year "

It also states he will win 1 million euro, and that his career high earnings are 300 euro so far.

Absolute rubbish.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

any link?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow, i haven't read it but i'll see if i can get a copy.

It hasn't been reproduced online that you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

No idea lads, just was given to me when I came into work, one of the lads had kept it for me.

Has to be seen to be believed. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Yeah saw it yesterday, you don't do this kind of thing especially with the UFC. First it was calling out Dan Hardy on his Setanta blog now this:eek::eek:
    Was abit foolosh IMO. Maybe he's going on TUF 11????????
    Don't think UFC will give him another shot maybe Loughran at the next show in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Odats wrote: »
    Yeah saw it yesterday, you don't do this kind of thing especially with the UFC. First it was calling out Dan Hardy on his Setanta blog now this:eek::eek:
    Was abit foolosh IMO. Maybe he's going on TUF 11????????
    Don't think UFC will give him another shot maybe Loughran at the next show in March.

I thought he had been released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

Another one in the irish examiner....just an FYI.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/sngbmhsney/rss2/

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Dragan wrote: »
    I thought he had been released?

I know that. My point is it impairs a possible future return to the UFC if he gets a run in smaller promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

whitey21 wrote: »
    Another one in the irish examiner....just an FYI.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/sngbmhsney/rss2/

I think that was an article about the person who wrote it and Tom just happened to be in it.

Is this supposed to be journalism now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

I read the News of the World piece, don't see what was wrong with it. Just talked about his loss, and how he hopes to get back into the UFC when they come back to Ireland. I stopped reading the examiner article when I saw the word sport was put in inverted commas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dragan wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be journalism now?

I guess it is. Someone didnt read their press pack :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

_oveless wrote: »
    I read the News of the World piece, don't see what was wrong with it. Just talked about his loss, and how he hopes to get back into the UFC when they come back to Ireland. I stopped reading the examiner article when I saw the word sport was put in inverted commas.

Ok, did you read where he said he'd be champion this time next year? Do you think that after the " St Patty's Day " fight card, that they'll give him GSP next?

Or the part where he'll win 1 million if he becomes Champion?

Or the part that said he's training like Rocky?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Ok, did you read where he said he'd be champion this time next year? Do you think that after the " St Patty's Day " fight card, that they'll give him GSP next?

He never said any of that stuff, ridiculous "journalism", end of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

This quote sums things up nicely:
    "You know on the path we've been traveling up until now... Saying a thing like that would just get you laughed at. Although... I slaughtered anyone and everyone who had the nerve to laugh at me...!! But from here on out... we're gonna be sailing the sea where anyone without the nerve to say something like that is as good as dead...!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Jesus the chap got beat in his ufc debut, big deal, plenty of good fighters lost their debuts, in first tko's also.. I wudnt even read that crap in the papers either tbh..The calling out of Dan hardy etc was a bit silly, you have to earn the right to do that which requires at least a few wins imo

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I don't think the OP's problem was with Tom, but with the journo. I saw it myself and thought it was a bit cringy, not because of what Tom said, but because of the way the journo spun it, the typical way you'd expect someone who doesn't know what they're writing about to spin a story on MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

Tones69 wrote: »
    Jesus the chap got beat in his ufc debut, big deal, plenty of good fighters lost their debuts, in first tko's also..

he didnt just get beat tho, he got absolutely wupped on, did he even land 1 punch or kick? cant ever see him getting into the ufc again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

BeeSee wrote: »
    he didnt just get beat tho, he got absolutely wupped on, did he even land 1 punch or kick? cant ever see him getting into the ufc again

:rolleyes: The UFC scouts who I guess know a little bit more then yourself saw his potential & he was given chance! He fought another up & comer whos happens to be undefeated in 9 fights before he fought tom and has won since then (11-0 now) & you write him off? Fighters improve with age & experience so I wouldn't be writing him off just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

BeeSee wrote: »
    2 Former UFC champions got beat in less than a minute combined in their last fights, your ruling someone out who got beat by a better wrestler??

People have good days and bad days. Most of us understand that, you apparently don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Like every Irish sportsman who hasn't done the business, Tom should dissappear so we can all sing Olé Olé again to someone else don't you know.

That being said, he's in the public eye and opinions are like arseholes as they say so no one should get too offended.

Advertisement