Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Town Bus Services Culled

• 20-07-2009 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

What a load of balls...

If that service was losing money, id say "fair enough" but it just isnt. Monksland especially.

Anyone think Flagline or some others may take a play for this market now that its open?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

What a load of balls...

If that service was losing money, id say "fair enough" but it just isnt. Monksland especially.

Anyone think Flagline or some others may take a play for this market now that its open?

I thought Flagline already ran a town/local service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

They do the Willow/Garycastle Service. Nothing for Monskland although they used to do that also. I dont think there was a market to compete with BE on that route though as alot of people that end of town have cars.

But now that BE are gone.. If i had a bank that would lend me the price of a bus, id nearly set up the service myself. Money to be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They do the Willow/Garycastle Service. Nothing for Monskland although they used to do that also. I dont think there was a market to compete with BE on that route though as alot of people that end of town have cars.

Yeah those Monksland people are so fortunate to have cars. And the poor schmucks on the east-side with only a bus/feet to get around. What will they do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Actually I was out Kiltoom direction today and there was a Flagline bus coming in along the Roscommon Road. Had a sign for Athlone in the window so dunno if it was a town-to-town service

Yeah those Monksland people are so fortunate to have cars. And the poor schmucks on the east-side with only a bus/feet to get around. What will they do now?

Anything constructive to say?

FWIW Monksland is further from town than Garycastle/Willow, so logically more people tend to have cars as the walk to town is that bit less of an option for them. The same way most people in Borris in Ossory have them as its a long way to the next bit of civilisation (Limerick)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

Anything constructive to say?

FWIW Monksland is further from town than Garycastle/Willow, so logically more people tend to have cars as the walk to town is that bit less of an option for them. The same way most people in Borris in Ossory have them as its a long way to the next bit of civilisation (Limerick)

Now thats hardly constructive is it, according to AAroadwatch.ie/routes, Monksland is 2.6 miles from Athlone town centre, Borris-In-Ossory is 51.7 miles from Limerick. There's a slight difference. </healthy dose of sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I agree with very angry man it was wrong to cancel this service. BE must have got it wrong. I used this service on occasion in offpeak and never found it to be a under utilised. The only thing that I felt could make it better was if it served the main bus station as well. It only seemed to serve it in the morning and evening. Athlone is a busy town and needs a light bus service. Hopefully a private contractor will take on the service and run it cheaper than BE

I too agree that the bus services shouldn't be stopped. I wonder was it an option to reduce amount of times the bus ran out there? Or how many times did it go to Monksland in a day?
    FWIW Monksland is further from town than Garycastle/Willow, so logically more people tend to have cars as the walk to town is that bit less of an option for them.

I think to say that the people of monksland are better placed to have a car than those on the east side of town is just madness though. Especially when using it as a potential reason as to why a private company didn't go into competition with BE on the route. Hence my retort to the angry man.
    The same way most people in Borris in Ossory have them as its a long way to the next bit of civilisation (Limerick)

Finally, Borris In Ossory is served by buses travelling the Limerick-Dublin route all day long. Its also blessed with the "Town Link" service that goes to many towns around the area, and also has a shuttle bus service from the village to Ballybrophy train station (3 miles out the road).

And finally, calling Limerick civilised? You sir, are mad. :D

I too agree that the bus services shouldn't be stopped. I wonder was it an option to reduce amount of times the bus ran out there? Or how many times did it go to Monksland in a day?

Hourly to Monksland. Sporadically to Willow/Garycastle. I guess the drivers are on a salary so cutting frequency wouldnt really affect them. What COULD work though would be one overall bus route similar to the Limerick service from Caherdavin to UL via City with say, 2 buses on it to cover morning and evening rush in both directions.
    I think to say that the people of monksland are better placed to have a car than those on the east side of town is just madness though. Especially when using it as a potential reason as to why a private company didn't go into competition with BE on the route. Hence my retort to the angry man.

Not better placed - just is more of a necessity. Even the existing service from Monksland is insufficent as you can be waiting an hour to get in
    Finally, Borris In Ossory is served by buses travelling the Limerick-Dublin route all day long. Its also blessed with the "Town Link" service that goes to many towns around the area, and also has a shuttle bus service from the village to Ballybrophy train station (3 miles out the road).

And finally, calling Limerick civilised? You sir, are mad. :D

Look at all those femminists. Are you thinking what im thinking :pac:

Look at all those femminists. Are you thinking what im thinking pacman.gif

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

Maybe BE should cut down the service to Garrycastle and Willow Park from Golden Island to once every hour instead of what seems like every 10 mins...most of the time the bus leaves empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

I have often used the Flagline service between Athlone and Tullamore. They are a grand little company and would surely be able to do a better job than BÉ but BÉ are not the easiest company to deal with so getting a contract to do it might be difficult.

Advertisement