Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enzo Maccarinelli finished in boxing

Options
  • 20-07-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

Enzo Maccarinelli seems to be finished in boxing after 3 losses in 4 but its well known that he trains a lot of BJJ and i think he might give MMA a lash, his boxing would be of high standard in MMA-And with an understanding of the ground game i think he could be a big success in MMA and he's only 28.

If he decides to call it a day in boxing i think he's young enough to be a genuine threat in MMA, especially on this side of the pond..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Very talented fighter, heavy hands but always felt he was mentally weak, when things weren't going well he tended to crumble.

But if his bjj is anyway good, he would give serious problems to opponents no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I always liked Enzo but he has a VERY suspect chin!

If he was to fight in MMA he'd obviously want to keep it standing, and a heavy handed HW or LH would smash him if they caught him.

But there is one HUGE reason i would not like to see him become a MMA fighter.... his manager is Frank Warren. The last thing we need is people like him getting involved in the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

MrStuffins wrote: »

If he was to fight in MMA he'd obviously want to keep it standing, and a heavy handed HW or LH would smash him if they caught him.

But there is one HUGE reason i would not like to see him become a MMA fighter.... his manager is Frank Warren. The last thing we need is people like him getting involved in the sport!

Waren has suggested he quit boxing so its none of his business in that case, he is talking about coaching but i remember seeing him going on about BJJ on the bunceys boxing hour and he must of been dropping hints by doing that..he'd probably be able to fight at light heavy in mma aswell and would be hard to land a good punch on..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

cowzerp wrote: »
    Waren has suggested he quit boxing so its none of his business in that case, he is talking about coaching but i remember seeing him going on about BJJ on the bunceys boxing hour and he must of been dropping hints by doing that..he'd probably be able to fight at light heavy in mma aswell and would be hard to land a good punch on..

A talented boxer and a legit world champ at one stage, he's still so so young and he could really give it a go.

I mean look at the likes of Florian who only really started coming into his own between 28-32, Anderson Silva was still wreckin it in Cagr Rage when he was 31, MMA Fighters aren't considered "old" at the same time as boxers.

Ian Darke was calling Andreius Kotelnik a "Wiley Old Pro" on Sat night and that guy is 31!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

MrStuffins wrote: »

How did you come to that conclusion ??

If Enzo is anyway decent on the ground he could be a huge treat in MMA. Also once he retires his contract with Warren is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

cowzerp wrote: »

Yeah I read that at the time - maybe its the change that he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Enzo's being training Jiujitsu with the Pedro Bessa Wales team for a while now. had a one or 2 Jiujitsu comps as well. Funny enough ,, I had this discussion & the thought was there wasnt enough cash in mma for him to make the move.

Looks like ..things have changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I do remember hearing him talk about it before whether it was on Steve Bunces show I cant remember. It would be very interesting if he gave it a go. He would give a lot fighters something to think about as his boxing would be better the most and if adds BJJ (which he has already been doing) he would be very competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

It would be really interesting to see a top class boxer with good footwork getting involved in the sport

It would be good if they could get him some small warm up fights first but it might be hard to find an opponent to fight him

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Would love to see Enzo make the crossover half out of interest to see how another ex-proboxer would fare at MMA. Marcus Davis apparently was never a great boxer in his day so it would be good to see more boxers making the crossover who are coming from a greater degree of success in boxing. If they can keep the fight standing always a great chance of a KO. Anyone see that Ray Mercer v Tim Sylvia bout:) I suppose until the money is better it will only be those unsuccessful boxers willing to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Would love to see Enzo make the crossover half out of interest to see how another ex-proboxer would fare at MMA. Marcus Davis apparently was never a great boxer in his day so it would be good to see more boxers making the crossover who are coming from a greater degree of success in boxing. If they can keep the fight standing always a great chance of a KO. Anyone see that Ray Mercer v Tim Sylvia bout:) I suppose until the money is better it will only be those unsuccessful boxers willing to give it a go.

From what I've read in the past Davis was actually a pretty good boxer. It's coming from the man himself, but he said he had a world title fight lined up if he won his last fight but his manager through him in with a guy a stone heavier and he got beaten. I know boxing records aren't a gread indicator of ability, but he was 17-1 in his career.

It'd be very interesting to see Macarinelli though, some of the best fighters in the game only got into it in their 30s. Give him a year of intensive training and see what happens.

Advertisement