Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any DIY products to remove scrathes made on my car windows

• 20-07-2009 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

my neighbours 5yrs old child decided to practice her alphabet on my 4 car windows...using a STONE! she scratched the letters into all 4 windows we only caught her when the damage was done!

We spoke to the childs parents but were told to "live with it" and if we called the gardai it would be more than our car windows we would have to be worried about (nice!)

I cant afford to replace the windows or get them fix professionally at the moment, 2 of the windows are particularly bad. I've seen some DIY products online to remove scrathes does any one know if these products can work?
    or recommend any solutions (some of the scratches are not very deep)
    Hogg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sorry, but fúck your neighbours. The actions of their child are their responsibility, and not yours. Their kid scratches all four of your windows? It's their job to fix it, end of story. If I were you I'd go back and tell them that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

+1, i'd call the Gardai immediately. If you don't, these neighbours will take it as open season to bully you whenever it suits them from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

+ 2. No one has any right to touch/damage your property. Also it is next to near impossible to remove scratches from car glass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't take that sort of your crap from your neighbours, get them to sort it or you'll get the Gardai involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What type of car do your neighbours have, an eye for an eye . :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Unbelievable OP, hard to believe there are people like that out there. Be careful about how you proceed, the Garda won't be able to help you unless you have evidence, and with your word against his and with him denying everything you could get into a whole heap of trouble down the line. Hard to know what to do here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They would not let you get away with anything similar, why let them get away with it?

They are trying to bully you, ring the Gardai and make a statement.
    Get a quote for replacing glass and tell them you'll be expecting that amount from them.
    If they break a window on your car you can show that they threatened to do it beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a very delecate situation where you obviously live next to some very ignorant irrational people. You have to thread carefully with how you deal with this type of thing.

The thing about letting people like this off the hook with this type of thing is that next time it might be a stone through the window or more serious damage. Give an inch, take a mile comes to mind.

Might be worth investing in some CCTV equipement, the likes of Aldi or Lidl do them every so often so a basic system is not that expensive to set up. While the Gardai might not be able to do anything about it presently as it is your word against theirs, I'd still report the incident with them so that they have it on record. I would also take photos of any damage and document it so that you can build yourself a strong case if this behaviour continues.

To answer the original question try your insurance company, if you have windscreen cover on your policy then it also includes the side windows free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is a very delecate situation where you obviously live next to some very ignorant irrational people. You have to thread carefully with how you deal with this type of thing.

The thing about letting people like this off the hook with this type of thing is that next time it might be a stone through the window or more serious damage. Give an inch, take a mile comes to mind.

Might be worth investing in some CCTV equipement, the likes of Aldi or Lidl do them every so often so a basic system is not that expensive to set up. While the Gardai might not be able to do anything about it presently as it is your word against theirs, I'd still report the incident with them so that they have it on record. I would also take photos of any damage and document it so that you can build yourself a strong case if this behaviour continues.

To answer the original question try your insurance company, if you have windscreen cover on your policy then it also includes the side windows free of charge.
    A work mate had a similar issue and got the CCTV installed. This did not do any good for the Gauards because it is digital and cannot be used as evdience in a court of law. Something to do with the fact that it can be altered by the owner.
    Anyway, the Guards were involved and called so much that the dispute eventually ended but there was a whole lot of agro and fighting between the two neighbours. This is no reason NOT to call the cops though. As said, you have to make a stand or elce it will esculate.
    My advice is to speak to the local Gardai and see what they suggest. That way the incident is recorded if this ever happens again.
    Also, try and get to a windscreen repair shop and see what they think. They can repair cracks by injecting "something" into the crack before it splits or gets worse, you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hogg

thanks for the advice but we are dealing with serious scumbags here! we live on a lovely quite street but past 4 months things have changed we have had 5 suspect devices (hoax bombs) put under cars on our street in the last 2 weeks, her boyfriend wears bullet proof vest as his life is under threat & thats just the tip of the iceberg so a threat from her is a little more serious than a normal.

To say they are known to Gardai would be understatement they are known to the Special branch!

anyhow its not likely we will get anywhere asking her to pay for the damage :D even though we saw it happen and her daughter admitted it

So just wondering if those DIY products work as I hate having to explain the damage to family and friends.
    thanks
    H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i had previously had a car with windscreen wiper marks and did a bit of research. couldn't find anything to fix it. And it sounds like the scratches on your car are a lot worse than mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let the guards know about the threat anyway, particularly when these are serious criminals.
    I ****ing hate scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

"Live with it".

I like that...that's a neighbourly way of saying "f*ck off or next time we'll burn the car".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it happened to me I would park my car right next to theirs and torch it, 2 birds 1 match, sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

from past experience these things never end well,Garda can do very little,they'll tell u its a civil matter which means sueing your neighbours:mad:
    if your insurance covers u,just get new windows,its a **** buzz but prob less hassle in the long run

Advertisement