Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambient Black Metal

• 20-07-2009 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I've been a Burzum fan for a few years but never got round to exploring any other bands in this black metal sub-genre. Anybody have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Treebeard wrote: »
    I've been a Burzum fan for a few years but never got round to exploring any other bands in this black metal sub-genre. Anybody have any recommendations?
    I think the only band I've got some music by that might fit is Jarboe. It's very dark and disturbing stuff at times!

You could also try plugging Burzum in here to see what comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I suppose Negura Bunget could fit the bill:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I suppose Negura Bunget could fit the bill:
    Apparently Negură Bunget means "black foggy forest" in archaic Romanian. Given their music I think it's quite appropriate :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Only band that really comes to mind for me is Summoning. I only have 'Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame' but I love it, must get more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Velvet Cacoon are an American ambient black metal band, their album Genevieve kind of captures that bleak Burzum sound.

Wolves in the Throne Room's Black Cascade is kind of like black metal via My Bloody Valentine, a lot of guitar textures.

No one really measures up to Burzum though (and apparently he's got a new album in the works now that he's looking at being a free man).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice

Would be my recommendation, mostly (about 70%) very ambient, and some excellent riffs when the pace picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

Thanks for the recommendations, have been meaning to check out Deathspell Omega and Wolves in the Throne Room for awhile.
    I'd never heard of Velvet Cacoon although they seem good but Jarboe seems especially interesting, I'll have to hear more of that.
    I already have some Negura Bunget and Summoning although I'd forgotten about them, NB are great but Summoning never held my interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Blut Aus Nord. Deathspell Omega. Burzum. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

John wrote: »
    Velvet Cacoon are an American ambient black metal band, their album Genevieve kind of captures that bleak Burzum sound.

Velvet Cacoon? The bunch of indie musicians pretending to play BM? Haven't they come out and said it was all a piss take and they were releasing other peoples material etc. and they egg is on your face if your bought the rubbish they put out? Isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

One Word, Agolloch. There not strictly ambient black metal as they have hints at folk and stuff in them but they deffinatly deserve a mention, as soon as i heard them i realised i must own every single album they made....EVER.

Also great thread, I was always looking for more bands in this genre myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Crowcifer

Dunno exactly what you are looking for, OP, but if you are already into Burzum...well here goes...

In The Woods - HEart of the Ages/Omnio

Both are fantastic. HEart has a bit more rawness, so if Vikernes screaming gets you off, then try it. Omnio is a lot less harsh by comparison but in my opinion is the superior of the two. I couldn't live without either album though!

Maybe some old Ulver? Bergtatt or Nattens Madrigal would get my vote, though the latter is pretty much outright harshness.

Monumentum - In Absentia Christi. It's not metal in any way shape of form - mostly keys in fact, but it has a similar atmosphere to the early 2nd wave famous black metal releases.

On another tack - VON (Vickernes was/is a big fan, btw) are basic, simplistic to the point of retarded and have (for my ears) an undeniably ambient vibe due to the repetive nature of their 'songs'.

Thats all for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What about Steven O Malley's band Khanate?
    And -Sunn o))) -Black one is a great tortured album too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Darkspace
    Walknut
    Paysage d'Hiver
    Manes
    Wrath of the Weak
    Lustre
    Woe
    Gris
    Vinterriket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Walknut

Read in WIRE magazine that this band has some fascist roots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I'll have to second Summoning.

I have all their albums and love it. Check out "The Rotting horse on the deadly ground" on youtube. Great song.

Hauk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

buck65 wrote: »
    Read in WIRE magazine that this band has some fascist roots!

It doesn't put me off listening to them anyway. Their music is the only thing i'm interested in. The same goes for Burzum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

you will be looking for Drudkh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I've since listened to some Nachtmysterium and they seem interesting, was also liking the sound of Drudkh so I'll be checking more of that out

Advertisement