Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iqon recovery disk problem

• 20-07-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to reinstall a mates OS on his Iqon desktop. It didn't come with the recovery disks and these were made using the software included with the machine. He had two copies made, one on 2 cds and 1 on 1 dvd, just in case something happened to one of them. ANyway, his OS(XP MCE) has gone belly up and it needs to be reinstalled. The problem is that the DVD and CD restore disks are not bootbale. Only discovered this when I went to reinstall the OS. It's not that his DVD-RW drive is faulty, I have tried a few drives in the machine and also tried it in my own. The optical device is set as the primary boot device and it does come up 'bootin g from cd', but it quickly disappears and throws up the windows loading screen before the BSOD kicks in. I can't access safe mode either. I tried the F10 method aswell but pressing F10 does nothing on this machine. It must not have a recovery partition or it is inaccessable. Basically, what I am asking is if anyone has any other ideas for me how I can ghet the OS back on this machine?

I do have one idea though, if someone out there has a working recovery disk for an IQON with XP MCE I could use it and enter his own key then activate it. He should not have to buy a new XP disk just because the IQON s/w is a bag of 5h1te. He did the right thing, he made his recovery disks immediately when he got it and it's not his fault. I hope someone can help.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

To access the recovery partition (assuming it's still intact) try F11 on it's own or CTRL+F11 together during boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭foggers

kaizersoze wrote: »
    To access the recovery partition (assuming it's still intact) try F11 on it's own or CTRL+F11 together during boot.

Cheers..........Will try that later when I'm home. The literature with it says to press R and when I googled it, it says F10..............neither work so F11 it is so! Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check what files are on the disks on the offchance that the images were copied to them rather than the disks were burned from the images

check what files are on the disks on the offchance that the images were copied to them rather than the disks were burned from the images

Just a folder called SMIMG and a few files called askcd1, cd0, multicd(hidden) and smimg.log

The foklder comtains what looks like images of arond 900MB in total and the file in the root dir called askcd1 would appear to be the one where it asks for the next cd............It would appear to be ok?????? If not, how can I access the image? The extension is .inp but when I check this out on fileinfo.com it says that an inp file Contains input for an ABAQUS model; used for engineering simulations and analyses?????????????????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH..............

Haven't tried the F11 yet..........Mate is bringing around later.........

F11 did not work...............rightly stuck now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That normally works on the Iqons but it doesn't surprise me, they were woeful.

Get any copy of XP (any version) and boot from it to recovery console. Then run chkdsk /r at the command prompt. Might get it back up and running at least.

tried all that...........thanks anyway.

Advertisement