Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse Collection rural vs urban prices

Options
  • 20-07-2009 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

We live in the countryside and we went into our Refuse collection is up for renewal at the end of the month.
    Currently It is €180 for the year and a bin tab there after is €7.50 and recycle bin tag is free, but if you want an extra recycle tag its €6.50.
    My father who lives up the road from us went into the same provider and to renew his they said that the prices came down and now was €150 a year and ©6.00 a bin tag.

We went into the provider on Saturday and they said the costs were the same as last year and when we mentioned it to them we heard the price went down they said “ in Urban areas it has, Rural areas stay the same”
    Can they do that? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lucylu wrote: »
    Can they do that? :confused:
    I would think they can.

It would cost far more to service houses more spread out, far too much is already subsidised like electricity & telephone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Stating who "they" is might help a tad.

If it's a private company, they can do what they want, and you can do what you want too and not buy from them. If it's the council it's trickier and you should be able to challenge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rubadub wrote: »
    I would think they can.

It would cost far more to service houses more spread out, far too much is already subsidised like electricity & telephone.

Electricity is not subsidised, the ESB charge rural areas more for electricity then urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

"they" are a private company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They can charge what they want. Count yourself lucky, it's getting close to 400 euro a year with Mr Binman in Limerick City.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Electricity is not subsidised, the ESB charge rural areas more for electricity then urban areas.
    They charge more for connection afaik, but supply? I don't think so.

dahamsta wrote: »
    They charge more for connection afaik, but supply? I don't think so.

https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pricing.jsp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not take active steps to manage the waste properly yourself,
    It costs me about 50e a year to waste companys to get rid of my waste, the rest I sort and bring to recycle place myself every 8 weeks.

Glass, drink cans and food cans I seperate out and bring to the bottle banks.
    In addition to this I get rid of my food waste by either feeding to birds or putting it into my greencone.

Granded the greencone cost me over 160e but it breaks even after 1 year :)

More reading at http://www.cabaal.org/log/labels/going%20green.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It seems the monthly standing charge is higher on rural plans then urban so yes they do in fact charge more for rural customers

The rates are the same. The standing charge is different, is that what you're talking about?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies.

Looks like my father got a deal when he renewed his.
    We have a black bin put out once a month (includes perenial weeds, diseased vegatable leaves & stalks ,recycling bin (no glass) goes out twice a month, we have our own compost bin and also visit the bottle bank once a month.

The rates are the same. The standing charge is different, is that what you're talking about?
    Correct, so it costs more for a rural esb supply than an urban one.

Correct, so it costs more for a rural esb supply than an urban one.
    Pedantic on my part, but that's not what you said.

Pedantic on my part, but that's not what you said.

I said it costs more for a rural supply than an urban one, which is 100% true.:)

I said it costs more for a rural supply than an urban one, which is 100% true.:)

You also said it is not subsidised, I am not sure if it is still the case but in college I was told it was subsidised, even if they are charged more they might be subsidised. e.g. if it costs €100 to supply an urban house it might cost €300 to supply a very remote house, yet they would not charge enough to cover this so could be running at a loss, so in effect subsidising that remote house. I would be shocked if some houses were not subsidised in this way.

I was also told at least one electricity station in the west was running at a loss, more energy spent delivering fuel to the plant than energy coming out of it. It was kept going to keep jobs. These public or national type companies are often obliged to give people services and so spread the cost evenly across the board, while some should really be paying a fortune if paying their way.

It is unfair to expect to get the exact same services etc at the same prices in urban areas if you live in a remote area, expecting people to chip in to cover you.

I said it costs more for a rural supply than an urban one
    No you didn't.

lads this thread is about refuse why is it being dragged off into electricity discussions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It is unfair to expect to get the exact same services etc at the same prices in urban areas if you live in a remote area, expecting people to chip in to cover you.

Can i get a discount on my top rate of tax for all the services I don't receive because I live in a rural area? ;)

Cabaal wrote: »
    lads this thread is about refuse why is it being dragged off into electricity discussions?
    It is a similar issue and might make the OP realise why they would be charged more for the bins. It costs a lot more to supply a service to remote areas, yet they seem surprised to be charged more. A given 100m of electrical wire in dublin will serve a lot more houses, so will a given gallon of petrol in a refuse truck.

I have seen many people moving out to the outskirts of dublin to get houses thinking they would be saving money, then it dawns on them that locations with cheap property have disadvantages they did not fully financially realise. 5 people I know are in the process of moving back to dublin at the moment.

It is a similar issue and might make the OP realise why they would be charged more for the bins. It costs a lot more to supply a service to remote areas, yet they seem surprised to be charged more. A given 100m of electrical wire in dublin will serve a lot more houses, so will a given gallon of petrol in a refuse truck.

I have seen many people moving out to the outskirts of dublin to get houses thinking they would be saving money, then it dawns on them that locations with cheap property have disadvantages they did not fully financially realise. 5 people I know are in the process of moving back to dublin at the moment.

ehh not all rural areas are remote
    I have been talking to friends who live in in smaller towns who are also charged at Rural rates and it seems the main town in are area is considered urban.

Refuse Trucks are run on Diesel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's the council it's trickier...

No it's no, as most Town Councils or UDCs cover urban while County Councils cover rural. Anyway there are very few councils of any kind still involved in bin collections

lucylu wrote: »
    ehh not all rural areas are remote

Refuse Trucks are run on Diesel
    rjo0604l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

We use a composter and seperate out waste that can be recycled, also make regular trips to the bottlebank. Also shopped around and got a cheaper provider. We have cut our usage of waste services way down, I'd say it less than half of what it cost two years ago. If waste services down the country are more expensive then its much more of an incentive to keep the amount of actual rubbish to a minimum.
    I think I would like to put some cooked waste food out for birds but am afraid of attracting rats. Any advice on that one?

Advertisement