Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prank call issue

• 20-07-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

hey folks.
    im sorry if this is in the wrong place i couldnt find anywhere else suitable to post this subject.

i have been getting calls from the same person the last few days.
    the first day it seemed a little strange there voice like a man putting on a womans voice and a noisy irish tv channel in the background.

the first day i got a call i said it was wrong number and hung up. then i got a text asking do i want to get freaky lol. to which i replied no. goodbye then.

then the phone calls followed over and over for about 30 mins. and its been like that every morning since.

id like to know is there any way i can find out where this person lives?
    since they text me i have there meteor nuber but most likely its pay as you go. :(

i dont want to go through all the hassle of the gardai or meteor just to block them.id like to go a bit further and help this poor soul.

any constructive advice would be much appreciated. feel free to pm me

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Google the number first, people sometimes forget old classified ads they have placed and are published online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

just tried that a min ago hehe. i also found a similar thread im readign now.
    i think it isnt possible to help this person under the eyes of the law.

but getting them blocked could result in them just using another number again.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Torakx wrote: »

I had a similar issue - got the number blocked and the calls stoppted. I know that they could have got a new number but the block seemed to deter them!

just tried that a min ago hehe. i also found a similar thread im readign now.
    i think it isnt possible to help this person under the eyes of the law.

Same number!?

if you mean the other thread i found was same number i dont know maybe this person does do this for a hobby lol

but its very rare indeed a prank caller texts you.

i guess i will start by getting his number blocked from calling mine.
    this doesnt stop texts but even the sickest mind has to get tired when you dont get a rise out of them.

i always stay silent after the first time i realised this wasnt just a wrong number or not anymore. ussually put the phone on silent and go back to sleep or answer and leave it on and go to sleep.

its hard to imagine someone typing a random number then pranking them. or a wrong number and just getting attached.
    i do realise its possible it was gotten off someone i recently exchanged numbers with.only one way to find out that which im trying now.

im going to tell one of those 2 recent people i informed the gards i was getting threats and they will get the phone company to trace the calls on my phone to the caller. if the calls stop most likely was that person and i will black list them or worse. if they carry on for another while i will try same thing with the 2nd person.and see if i get any results. after that if no result i will block the number via meteor

for anyone with this same issue i called meteor and was told the gardai can request and get the persons details should they be registered.and if you want to block a number you need to go into a meteor shop and sign a form which they fax to head office and process.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I thought you Googled the number and it lead to another similar thread.

no such luck. but i do appreciate everyones input :)

have had prank calls in the house before as a kid.used to dealing with that.
    just first time i got one where i am old and big enough to physically fix the situation if i knew where they lived haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

ye when i phoned meteor i asked if it was a police matter would the gards recieve the persons info to deal with this issue through the gardai.
    guy on the phone said yes they would. so if it carries on after blocking i may say there was threats to my life.dont know if that would be enough to get the gards to actually go to this persons house...IF there number is even registered with meteor.

best idea ive heard yet is,
    get a friend preferably a girl and phone the number pretending to be a phone survey from meteor with a bonus of 10 euro phone credit fro answering a questionaire.give her a list of questions written down make it sound official and ask there name address DOB etc
    the guy that posted that idea said he found out who it was sent them a warning and that was all she wrote :)

although a proper hardcore sickofant prank caller will have a seperate unregistered mobile just for calling people to harrass.or at least i would if i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Don't go saying there has been threats on your life if there hasn't. That could land you in a spot of bother.

I think the survey idea is a good one, also depending on the phone you have you can get applications to block call and texts from specific numbers even private ones.

Also what you could do is top yourself up by €20 euro to get free calls and annoy the sh*t out of them at say 4 or 5 in the morning!!! :D:D

• Advertisement

ye ur right about the threat thing.bit risky for me to mess with cops.
    i thought about giving him a taste of his own medicine but then thought maybe thats exactly what they want.

i mean i could put there number in every toilet cubicle i can find and paste it all over the internet but then again if i do that so can he!
    do i want to start and all out war that is the question and since i have no upper hand its not worth losing all my contacts. recently broke my phone lost my numbers so if i change number i will lose the chance of old friends and contacts ever being able to contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Have you considered something like this?

nice idea. will certainly keep that in mind if the situation gets alot worse thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

best idea ive heard yet is,
    get a friend preferably a girl and phone the number pretending to be a phone survey from meteor with a bonus of 10 euro phone credit fro answering a questionaire.give her a list of questions written down make it sound official and ask there name address DOB etc

So youve gone from
    i dont want to go through all the hassle of the gardai or meteor just to block them.id like to go a bit further and help this poor soul.

to
    i thought about giving him a taste of his own medicine but then thought maybe thats exactly what they want.
    i mean i could put there number in every toilet cubicle i can find and paste it all over the internet

That's quite a change in opinion in just a couple of hours.

I realise you're annoyed by this person, but keep your activities honest and legal. Saying you're getting threats when you aren't is fundamentally wrong, and that pretend survey thing you're thinking of doing is a fantastic way to end up in court, as obtaining personal details by deception is as much a prosecutable offence as harassment is.

Have the number blocked. Report it if it continues.

yep i totally agree with you on most of that.
    except for the legal part if i get caught lol. but that also depends wether this person is malicious or actually mental disturbed and really does need help.

i admit i was hasty at first those were thoughts and ideas bouncing around so i can gather the best ones to solve this problem.i wont actually do all of them.but i am always open to new ideas on any subjects.

also i have very very little faith in a system that has been known to protect criminals.i would rather live outside it but that is impossible and a totally different subject.

but point taken i will not ofc go and say i was threathened.
    my recent posts are more likely to be with my current thinking. thanks for the advice though it is the sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Add a 5, and ring their voicemail

Eg: if their number is 0871234567, dial 08751234567

interesting.
    i just tried that. im getting " .....(background noise same as phonecalls like irish tv)...cant take this call right now please leave a message."

makes me think this guy is a fulltime psychopath rofl! his voicemail sounds like his phonecalls

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Think the survey thing is a very good idea!

keep us updated on this :D

hehe id like to try that but i wont bother. went to garda station he told me if i sign a form in there they can tap my mobile and locate him when he calls between certain hours.

i think the threat and blocking may be enough to fix this situation.
    dont like the idea of gards listenign on my phone even after its sorted how do i know they take it off!

Advertisement