Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Questions for Interview

Options
  • 20-07-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi All,

With alot of IT people being let go currently I thought this post might help...:D

Is there anywhere online with good questions that may be asked in a technical aptitute exam or a screening exam for IT

I understand these vary accoring to position but maybe a site that has various exams for various jobs?

Id be particularly interested in exams for 2nd Level/ Sys admin jobs?

Thanks folks
    Noel

PS I understand some may have to be paid for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I have never come across a technical interview with an off the shelf type of exam , generally you are asked on the spot or given a written exam done up by the current IT guy.

Ive had three interviews in the last while and they where completely different. The first one was a written one which included things like writing out a access control list for a router or naming the different schemas in AD.
    The second interview had me being asked very simple troubleshooting questions and in my last interview I had to do a presentation on the technical architecture of terminal services.

So as you can see , its pretty hard to prepare for. All I will say is if you have the expierience and have some relevant qualifications you should be fine, however a paper MCSE/CCNA wont last 2 minutes in the interview. If you say you know your stuff, make sure you do.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I've actually gone to an interview where a braindump was produced. I was given 30 minutes to complete it. I wrote on it what I thought of his approach and left.

Anyone who thinks they can get a good idea of your technical ability in a one hour interview with no hardware is doing nothing more than running the job and the experience required down.

On the other hand... heres some examples -

Networking --

Differences between OSPF and RIP?
    /27 in dotted decimal notation?
    What are the steps to configure a serial link using PPP on a new cisco router?
    What commands would you NOT run on a PRODUCTION network?

Baisc Sys Admin ----

Describe RAID?
    RAID 5?
    RAID 0?
    If one disk fails in a RAID5 array, what do you do?
    If two disks fail ina RAID5 array, how do you recover?
    Describe the user logon process using both local and roaming profiles?
    How do I configure DFS?

You will find that certain WELL KNOWN MONOPOLYS will ask questions like:

Please tell me where "button x" is to configure "useless stuff" on our enterprise class operating system.

Questions like this do not bring anything to an interview.

Advertisement