Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica's Future Gameplan

• 20-07-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So I was wondering this the other day, about Metallica's gameplan once Dec comes, because (as we all know) the band have families now and they don't like to be on the road too long. Once Christmas comes the dates have ended, and yet Death Magnetic was well recieved, so should we expect the band to continue touring on the back of this album - much like they did with the Black album - or simply go away for a couple of years. I've outlined some theories below, let me know what you think....

A: Touring finishes in Dec, the band semi retire, and in 2011 they embark on another Escape from the Studio tour (perhaps this time performing The Black Album from start to finish) and then launch their album about a year later.

B: The band finishes touring, but releases another part of Death Magnetic (along the lines of Reload and Load) and then resumes touring in Summer 2010 before stopping altogether for about 3/5 years in 2011

C: The band continues to tour past Dec and repeats its schedule with another UK tour in the Spring, Asia and Japan, Australia and Oceania and then Africa before returning to the US for a miniture version of the tour they are on at the moment. Meanwhile a 2nd part to Death Magnetic is released and depending on reception the band eventually finish touring in early 2011 (and we get no Black album anniversary performances)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Their record deal expires now so i wreckon the record company will release a greatest hits or a live album and they'll tour for another year or so, my question is what would be the perfect playlist on the greatest hits!!! so many to choose from!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

hyn-zie wrote: »
    Their record deal expires now so i wreckon the record company will release a greatest hits or a live album and they'll tour for another year or so, my question is what would be the perfect playlist on the greatest hits!!! so many to choose from!!!

I suppose one way to do a best of album would be to pick the songs going by the amount of times they have played them live. The link in the other Metallica thread with the amount of times each song was played gave me that idea. Mind you there would be no "Escape" then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

hyn-zie wrote: »

Enter Sandman
    Harvestor Of Sorrow
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    The Day That Never Comes
    Fade To Black
    One
    Until It Sleeps
    Frantic
    Sad But True
    Battery
    Master Of Puppets
    Nothing Else Matters
    Seek & Destroy
    My Apocolypse

I'd reckon something along these lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Enter Sandman
    Harvestor Of Sorrow
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    The Day That Never Comes
    Fade To Black
    One
    Until It Sleeps
    Frantic
    Sad But True
    Battery
    Master Of Puppets
    Nothing Else Matters
    Seek & Destroy
    My Apocolypse

I'd reckon something along these lines

Not sure about Frantic to be honest.

I'd have a lot of stuff you said but maybe throw in the likes of:

Creeping Death,
    Whiplash,
    Metal Militia (don't know if I spelled that right)

In fact.... Just play the full Kill 'Em All album and I'd be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They've stated already that they'll be touring into 2010,most likely japan/korea/australia in the new year. I can see them going through until summer 2010,maybe some european festivals in early summer or standalone stadium shows and maybe a 'summer sanitarium' style stadium show in the states in the summer,winding up around late august/early september.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

lord lucan wrote: »
    They've stated already that they'll be touring into 2010,most likely japan/korea/australia in the new year. I can see them going through until summer 2010,maybe some european festivals in early summer or standalone stadium shows and maybe a 'summer sanitarium' style stadium show in the states in the summer,winding up around late august/early september.

That would be the most likely option, given that its come from the horses mouth.

I doubt anybody could have believe the time differental between St Anger and Death Magnetic's release was only 3 months shorter then the wait from Reload to St Anger. As such, I wouldnt like to predict any potential release dates for future albums. It could be 2012/2013 before we hear anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

lord lucan wrote: »

Thats how I'd assume they'd go about it, as has been plenty of touring Europe/North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

like Lucan said they've said they'll be touring into next year, but they say a lot of stuff ;-)
    weren't they supposed to include an indoor gig here ?????

anyway, here's my read on it, they'll do another year of touring and then take a break, I think they are a completely reenergised band now, and really seem to be enjoying things - so I don't see them jumping into retirement just yet, they've had families for a good while now, they just rearrange their touring schedule to suit them better and give more breaks during tours.....

the next album will be self released in my opinion - they've hinted at this a number of times over the last year, and as the money is in touring I don't see them stopping for too long.....up near the top of the Billboard tour lists again so they are doing something right........

I think anyone that hasn't seen them live for a couple of years will be pleasntly surprised in Marlay in a couple of weeks........although I've seen them indoors twice since August I just think they've upped their game again....

NIBBS wrote: »
    like Lucan said they've said they'll be touring into next year, but they say a lot of stuff ;-)
    weren't they supposed to include an indoor gig here ?????

anyway, here's my read on it, they'll do another year of touring and then take a break, I think they are a completely reenergised band now, and really seem to be enjoying things - so I don't see them jumping into retirement just yet, they've had families for a good while now, they just rearrange their touring schedule to suit them better and give more breaks during tours.....

the next album will be self released in my opinion - they've hinted at this a number of times over the last year, and as the money is in touring I don't see them stopping for too long.....up near the top of the Billboard tour lists again so they are doing something right........

I think anyone that hasn't seen them live for a couple of years will be pleasntly surprised in Marlay in a couple of weeks........although I've seen them indoors twice since August I just think they've upped their game again....

They have upped their game amazingly ! They get better ever single time. marlay will blow my effin mine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The tour is heading far east next year and then on to South America.

Cant see them coming anywhere near Europe next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

They are has-beens. I hope they get off their arses and do something with their original 4 albums, i.e. remaster extra tracks or at least revised artwork. Paying almost full price for an album that's over 20 years old grates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They should go out on a high, and James should throw a curveball and do a dark country solo album...

Morf wrote: »
    They are has-beens. I hope they get off their arses and do something with their original 4 albums, i.e. remaster extra tracks or at least revised artwork. Paying almost full price for an album that's over 20 years old grates.

Metallica did reissue their earlier albums over the last two years. Kill em/Ride/Master/Justice were all reissued on cd in 2007 with remastered sound and the heavyweight vinyl editions came out last year because I got Ride The Lightening and Master Of Puppets in that format and the sound quality was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

seachto7 wrote: »
    They should go out on a high, and James should throw a curveball and do a dark country solo album...

Yeah they should definitely do something like that, controversial etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Kess73 wrote: »
    Metallica did reissue their earlier albums over the last two years. Kill em/Ride/Master/Justice were all reissued on cd in 2007 with remastered sound and the heavyweight vinyl editions came out last year because I got Ride The Lightening and Master Of Puppets in that format and the sound quality was unreal.

AJFA remastered?? with bass??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

whats the need. Sounds better without bass :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Metallica's future gameplan is to take over all the remaining threads on Boards.ie Rock and Metal forum. What next? Metallica's favourite breakfast?!
    Jeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

We know they like to chop breakfast on a mirror :pac:
    besides that not a bad thread idea :cool:

No, the bass was not enhanced.

We know they like to chop breakfast on a mirror :pac:
    besides that not a bad thread idea :cool:

And Cornflakes for all!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

they are signed with sonisphere for the next 5 years... so we'll be seeing them come summer time again i imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its impossible to say what they will do next. I cant see them retiring yet.

Ive been a fan club member for years and never won meet and greet passes. I just want to win them even once before they do retire!!

faceman wrote: »
    Its impossible to say what they will do next. I cant see them retiring yet.

Ive been a fan club member for years and never won meet and greet passes. I just want to win them even once before they do retire!!

Same here. Been a metclub member for years and never won a pass. Still, I did play onstage with them last november.. So thats as good as, if not better!

Also I dont think they're tied up with Sonisphere for the next 5 years. Metallica do part own a share in the event. But they wont be on the bill for the next five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Still, I did play onstage with them last november

Go on....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

they are signed with sonisphere for the next 5 years... so we'll be seeing them come summer time again i imagine.

The mail in England printed that as far as I know and it was confirmed to be wrong.

That said it's a shame, I saw them in Barcelona, the sonisphere thing worked very well; clean, well organised and they played until half two in the morning.

Only downside was the sonisphere dollars and the crowd :mad:

Rockee wrote: »
    Go on....;)

Moline, IL, last november. I did 6 shows on the world magnetic tour with 2 really good mates, brought my tri-colour with me, was on the barrier every show, was brought up onstage. My pic is on the metontour site. Nov. 8th, 2008.

As for the sonisphere thing, I think the Knebworth shows have really made a mess of the whole thing, with machine head pulling out. And Metallica wont be headlining this every year thank ****. I'm sick of seeing them at outdoor festivals. Indoor shows are the only way to go.

And Metallica wont be headlining this every year thank ****. I'm sick of seeing them at outdoor festivals. Indoor shows are the only way to go.

A mega +1 for that!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

+2
    next show here really should be indoors, its been a long bloody time.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Yeah they should definitely do something like that, controversial etc.

Yeah, i mean it's not as if Metallica have done anything controversial in their careers........

• Advertisement

NIBBS wrote: »
    +2
    next show here really should be indoors, its been a long bloody time.......

+3 Indoors blows one away. Its a shame Metallica never did the 02, and then come back to Marlay in August

Advertisement