Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDA chief who urged lower pay won't cut own wage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

while I think he probably (I don't know what he earns) should join the others in a voluntary pay-cut...

...Thread title "urged lower pay", article "workers should face 15% cut"...

...I think its clear his comments were about a firm on the point of closure and that staff may have to take a pay cut to avoid the company closing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

"..he said he had already taken a substantial cut to his gross salary of around €200,000, due to tax increases introduced by the Government."

So have most people in the country, lucky enough to still have a job. Pay cuts and job losses are being forced upon them, it's not a voluntary excercise.

"..he said he had already taken a substantial cut to his gross salary of around €200,000, due to tax increases introduced by the Government."

around €200,000?......I see no reason then that he could not take a 10% cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

"He suggested that workers in multi-national companies should face wage cuts of 15pc -- but now it has emerged that Barry O'Leary, the chief executive of IDA Ireland, is not taking one himself...."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ida-chief-who-urged--lower-pay-wont-cut-own-wage-1830416.html

Being a self serving, greedy, hypocrite must be a prerequisite to being the head of a State body.

+1
    More of the "do as I say not do as I do" crowd.
    IDA backed companies have been losing more jobs then they have been bringing in. So a pay cut for the boys at the top would be about right.

Its a shame no journalist had the balls to ask him the question over his own pay. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard him on the news.

Riskymove wrote: »
    around €200,000?......I see no reason then that he could not take a 10% cut

I assume your your kidding, Rahm Emanuel gets $150,000 a year for being the Presidents Chief of staff.
    The head of the IDA in ireland should not be paid more then that.
    Or maybe that is why we are un-competitive, the incompetent boys at the top are over paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

To be fair, the man does not work for a multi-national: his comments were directed at multi-national employees.

I do believe he should take a pay cut though.

Dob74 wrote: »
    I assume your your kidding, Rahm Emanuel gets $150,000 a year for being the Presidents Chief of staff.
    The head of the IDA in ireland should not be paid more then that.
    Or maybe that is why we are un-competitive, the incompetent boys at the top are over paid.

sorry...what are you on about?

sorry...what are you on about?

So you think its acceptable for the head of a government agency in a tiny country. Who is not performing well in his job to be paid more than top civil servants in the richest country in the world?

So you think its acceptable for the head of a government agency in a tiny country. Who is not performing well in his job to be paid more than top civil servants in the richest country in the world?

I still don't know what you are on about....in both my posts I indicated that he should take a pay cut

what exactly are you giving out about?

Who is not performing well in his job

on a seperate note...where's the evidence for that comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

...I think its clear his comments were about a firm on the point of closure and that staff may have to take a pay cut to avoid the company closing...

Sounds exactly like his employer, Ireland Inc., to me.....

the post I am refering to has been removed (by a Mod I expect)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Absolutely, he is a state employee and this state is on the verge of bankruptcy. His position is exactly the same as those he advised to take a cut.

loobylou wrote: »
    Absolutely, he is a state employee and this state is on the verge of bankruptcy. His position is exactly the same as those he advised to take a cut.

I was not talking about your post, someone else inserted a generla statement, which has been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

Yes that's the fact. In Ireland various civil servants and goverment people get paid more than in other countries. Irish TDs get about twice what UK MPs get. It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

"He suggested that workers in multi-national companies should face wage cuts of 15pc -- but now it has emerged that Barry O'Leary, the chief executive of IDA Ireland, is not taking one himself...."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ida-chief-who-urged--lower-pay-wont-cut-own-wage-1830416.html

Being a self serving, greedy, hypocrite must be a prerequisite to being the head of a State body.

The level of arrogance and sense of entitlement of those both in government and at the top in the various semi states, quangoes for p***ing straight, public sector boards for this that and the other is truly mind boggling.
    Remember Fás and Mr Molloy's flights.

As opposed to his own employer (Ireland Stinks Inc) that is having to borrow 20 odd billion a year to just stay afloat :rolleyes:

Another useless twat with his head up his own ass.

The sooner some outside influence, whoever it may be, arrives to kick a few people up the ass the better.
    Sadly as usual it will be the ones lower on the tree, both private and publicly employed, that will bear the brunt of the pain for the mistakes and arrogance of these well connected idiots. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

jmayo wrote: »
    As opposed to his own employer (Ireland Stinks Inc) that is having to borrow 20 odd billion a year to just stay afloat

Exactly. These people are living in another world, totally insulated from the **** that's unfolding around them.

ceret wrote: »
    Yes that's the fact. In Ireland various civil servants and goverment people get paid more than in other countries. Irish TDs get about twice what UK MPs get. It's a disgrace.

Ah dont they need it though, to deal with the high cost of living..

Advertisement