Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited phonecalls elderly by Breast Cancer Awareness

Options
  • 20-07-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is genuine or a hoax?

Visiting my home town in Mayo this w'end, got a phonecall on Saturday asking for "Mrs Surname". They launched into a speil about how they need money etc asked me to accept raffle (or something) tickets to sell locally.

I explained that Mrs Surname, my mother, had died a few years ago and if my father had answered this call, it might have upset him, so I asked that they remove the name and number from their database and that I wished them the best with their endeavours.

(personally I will not support charities that contact me unbidden on the phone or at my home, except for local kids stuff)

The very next day another person, also with a northern accent, called with the same speil.

I understand that they have a month or so to comply with the data removal request, but what bothered me, besides their inability to make a note on their system, was that they are calling people in their late seventies with a request that they might not even understand, never mind comply with.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience, if anyone knows if it is genuine, or if I'm the only one who finds their targeting inappropriate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Get a phone that only rings when it knows the number. It won't ring if number is not shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

Thanks, good suggestion.

The whole issue of representatives of an excellent and very worthy organisation hassling old people remains though....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

get on to the data protection comminionser and complain.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/

i got on them about another problem and they were very good, got an email reply the next day then wrote off to the company that was bothering me. got a nice leter back saying they wont bothering me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a phone that only rings when it knows the number. It won't ring if number is not shown.
    I had to google this, didn't think such a yoke existed.

But, http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Computer-Unwanted-Completed-Control/dp/B0007PLOJE

Advertisement