Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH car parking

• 20-07-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Flips sake 4 euro a pop! Okay you get first 15 free if you are literally popping in but litterally popping in is no longer very easy thanks to my second complaint. The parking for us - you know the sick and the lame is now way over towards the old road while the healthy staff get the plum seats across the way from the main entrance.

Shirley some mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

mike65 wrote: »
    Flips sake 4 euro a pop! Okay you get first 15 free if you are literally popping in but litterally popping in is no longer very easy thanks to my second complaint. The parking for us - you know the sick and the lame is now way over towards the old road while the healthy staff get the plum seats across the way from the main entrance.

Shirley some mistake?

if you are fit and able bodied, park in the uluru cark park or lidl , and have a nice little walk with some fresh air thrown in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The car parks there are a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

afaik if you need to be there quite often there are discounted weekly/monthly tickets. but other than that yes i think 4 yoyo is no joke, even tho this is for the full day, its not fair if you are going in for an appointment that wont take the full day (mind you knowing wrh, that could easially happen!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

4euro a pop, thats not too bad for parking.

I am ok with that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

This all came about because of the 'selfless' people who left their cars in the €3-a-day hospital car-park and got the bus into town to do their day's work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

gscully wrote: »
    This all came about because of the 'selfless' people who left their cars in the €3-a-day hospital car-park and got the bus into town to do their day's work!
    That's a bit demented, i mean when you take the prices of bus's into account your talkng €5 a dayish.

Why not just park in the woodlands for free and do the same thing.

Anyway, i don't really mind the €4 thing but it should be bit longer then 15min free because tbf anything you have to do in there will be much longer then say half an hour.

Staff getting the better car parking spaces really grinds my gears tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Should be a gradual increase in the amount. Like one euro per hour to a maximum of four. I was visiting someone on Saturday and they asked me to pick up something for them at home. 8 fecking euros. No day pass over the weekend. They i saw a foreign person park in an ambulance parking space and the security guard asked her to move. Would she?? You must be joking!!

Who are the idiots?? Me included!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Park outside Snowcream for free. It's what do all the time when visiting people in the hospital.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

mike65 wrote: »

Shirley some mistake?
    have a look next time you are out there the old consultants car park is now a car park for the sick and the lame and is right beside the front entrance!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh right, thats very small though. Poor old consultants having to walk a bit extra, ah well they'll cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

too right they should have to walk a little bit further for 240 thou euro basic salary . only prob now they have taken the on call staff car park so when we finish work in the middle of the night we have to walk further when they are tucked up in bed with their big cars in their drives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

deise48 wrote: »
    too right they should have to walk a little bit further for 240 thou euro basic salary . only prob now they have taken the on call staff car park so when we finish work in the middle of the night we have to walk further when they are tucked up in bed with their big cars in their drives

jesus, talk about having a chip on your shoulder...
    I say fair play to the consultant who starting wage is €240K.... and drives a nice big new motor.... I would love that myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

robtri wrote: »
    jesus, talk about having a chip on your shoulder...
    I say fair play to the consultant who starting wage is €240K.... and drives a nice big new motor.... I would love that myself...

Agreed. Any consultant who dedicates themselves to saving lives is well worth that kind of salary!

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's proper order that the consultants get to park close to the hospital? These are the staff who are needed in the hospital and not out looking for a parking space. Christ, we do enough giving out about how long we spend in the waiting room. At least if the consultant has somewhere to park, those waiting times might be a little less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

first 20 mins free although it could take anything up to 10 mins to get a spot and walk to the enterance, a joke imo......

weekly passes 12
    monthly 40 iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

Hey Daftdave, watch yourself parking in Lidl. My uncle got clamped in there a little while back. 60 euro to get it off. he was over in the bookies across the road when it happened !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Lots of people parking in Frisby's car park beside Tesco and going to the hospital, They leave the cars down by the side of Homebase.

Not a good idea as everybody knows they are gone for a few hours. Love to say it's a safe car park but it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brucemalone

i used the car parks today and whilst you do have to walk a bit, there is a car park outside the front door for the elderly & disabled which is the closet parking that i could see. €4 is steep but i was there for 3 hours gettign tests done so not bad value. my gran is there at the mo and da mother has bought a 5 day pass which we are all using when visiting so not so bad really. the clampers seem to be living there but then again it seems very tidy and free of abandoned cars so i guess thats the intention. free parking is a dream anywhere so i guess if there are options available to us then we should stop moaning as the service from the hospital was great today a big improvment on my previous dealings. my friend parked in lidl = clamped, another in viewmount = garda traffic violation and i dont trust tesco's at the mo with the weather. so my advice park elsewhere for shorter stays or pay for longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

€4 is steep

Sure what harm. Those people who have problems walking can park at Lidl too yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think you missed his main point there Mossy.
    but i was there for 3 hours gettign tests done so not bad value. my gran is there at the mo and da mother has bought a 5 day pass which we are all using when visiting so not so bad really.
    my friend parked in lidl = clamped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

gscully wrote: »

Agreed. Any consultant who dedicates themselves to saving lives is well worth that kind of salary!

But that same consultant charges me € 140 for a private visit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Why dont you go to see Him/her as a public patient. If everyone went as a public patient and saw what the rest of the poor people of Ireland have to put up with , you can be sure the public pressure would force the system to improve.

Instead we have a system where private patients can jump the queue because they can afford to.

BTW the basic consultant salary is not 240k. It is about 160.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Why dont you go to see Him/her as a public patient. If everyone went as a public patient and saw what the rest of the poor people of Ireland have to put up with , you can be sure the public pressure would force the system to improve.

Instead we have a system where private patients can jump the queue because they can afford to.

BTW the basic consultant salary is not 240k. It is about 160.

only?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brucemalone

the new public work only consultant contract is €254000 p.a, there was a fine gael doctor from galway mouthing off about this on the news all week saying that he felt immoral taking the new contract salary in a time like this. pure PR from fine gael if you ask me, i didnt hear im say he would give back any just moaning that the govt. negotiated these new contracts when the economy was going down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

If he signed the new contract it would give him a pay rise up to 226K public only ,he could have stayed on the old contract paying about 180k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

People would moan about anything...come on €4 for a whole day ? :mad:Its not like your in the hospital THAT often, and if you are - get a cheaper pass. You think thats dear? Leave your car in city square for a few hours!!

...Complaining because the staff carparks are closer?! Dont be so goddamn lazy!:rolleyes:

Those consultants are worth every penny they make, they have studied and worked hard for years...why shouldnt they get paid well for helping people and saving lives? They park right next to the hospital FOR A REASON, to get into the hospital ASAP when they are on call! I was in labour last year, waiting for the on call anaesthetist, in serious pain (as the other two anaesthetists were at emergencies) I wouldnt have enjoyed waiting around any longer while she was driving around searching for a parking space, would I ?

complain about something worth complaining about lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

michellie wrote: »
    People would moan about anything...come on €4 for a whole day ? :mad:Its not like your in the hospital THAT often, and if you are - get a cheaper pass.

...Complaining because the staff carparks are closer?! Dont be so goddamn lazy!:rolleyes:

Well if you end up having to park up a few times a day over the weekend (as I did when a family member became seriously ill very suddenly) it can cost you 12-16 euro to park up between having to follow the ambulance in to see if he's still alive, go out again to collect their panic-stricken wife to go into them, and go out again to collect stuff like pyjamas etc. No passes can be got over the weekend. An hourly rate as suggested above (1 euro for the first hr, rising to 4 for 4 hrs +) would have been easier to swallow TBH.

Also - I'd definitely like to see patient carparks being a bit closer to the entrance. I had to have a few operations, and as I needed my husband to come in to collect me afterwards and be there when the doctors called round to tell me what had transpired over the course of the op (as it very much concerned him too given the nature of what I was in for), help me pack up my belongings and help me walk to the car, he couldn't abandon the car in the set-down zone as he'd be in there so long (no bloody spaces ever to be had there anyway) and it's a very long and painful walk over to the carpark by the morgue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

echosound wrote: »
    Also - I'd definitely like to see patient carparks being a bit closer to the entrance.

theres a patient carpark right outside the main entrance. Its the closest one to the whole hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I could be wrong maybe that was just full, but last time I was out there you had to park to the left by the morgue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

michellie wrote: »
    theres a patient carpark right outside the main entrance. Its the closest one to the whole hospital

I know, it's also pretty small so most often it's completely full and you end up having to trek all the way over towards the main morgue one anyway. Dunno why they didn't reverse the carparks - patient ones closer, staff ones further away. I agree there should be *some* parking near the hospital for emergency staff on call, but for run of the mill admin staff/nurses/etc who would only be coming in for their usual shift, rather than rushing in to perform some lifesaving op, I don't see how parking further away would be an issue for them.

The walk to the carpark is nothing when you're fit and able-bodied, a total breeze, but a very very long walk when you're ill, old or infirm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement