Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC DNS errors/randomly disconnecting?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm only going with DNS errors because that's what the PS3 tells me.

It's been disconnecting now for the last few days usually a certain time of the day - either morning or afternoon! It stays off for a few hours, and no matter what I do, the cable box still has ONLINE and TEL1 not lit up. The US light flashes too at times.

Anyone else having UPC troubles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Having similar issues in D18 I think.
    PS3 randomly disconnecting, browsing not working, but my blueface voip working fine.
    Even missed out on ticketmaster tickets last week cos of it ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i had similar problems for a while when i first moved to upc. now i use level3 dns on my router for all my pc's and laptops browsing etc. and opendns manually set on my ps3 in it's network settings.

i find level3 to be the best/fastest dns provider in general, but for some reason the ps3 does not work well with them occasionally, so i have manually set the ps3 to use opendns instead, and (touch wood) i haven't had a single problem for months and online gaming is working perfectly too.

level3 dns: 4.2.2.1 all the way to 4.2.2.6 (pick any two or three, depending on your router), i use .1 .3 & .6 on my router, just to spread it out, for no real reason. :)
    opendns: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

fingers crossed it should sort you guys out as well. :)

let me know if you need any help setting it up.

Never set DNS up on my router, just on my laptops/desktop and PS3. Will look into this tonight, cheers

from right back when i was on dialup i always found that if i left everything to get dns servers via dhcp (inc. pc's and modem/router) that sooner or later either the router or pc's would 'forget' the supplied dns server info and stop resolving addresses, so i've always set them manually for as long as i can remember now and had a lot less dns related problems since.

finding level3 and opendns have improved that even more too.

I dont use dhcp, but set up static ip addreses and manually add dns to all machines (the UPC ip addresses), but I haven't configured my router.
    So maybe my router uses dhcp to get the dns servers ip addresses?

• Advertisement

if you've manually set DNS on your clients then that will override anything dished out by DHCP, or manually set on a router which is handy for me because it allows me to set it to what I want via my router and then override it on the ps3 so it uses something else which works better on that specific device.

i'm not sure why level3 doesn't work well on the ps3, it's not always bad, sometimes it's fine, but it's not consistent so I don't feel that I can rely on it, which is where opendns comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Howdy lads,

Turns out the signal from the cable modem was extremely weak in my area and it wasn't any fault in the settings. They should be fixing it soon :)

cool, good to know they're sorting it anyways.

Advertisement