Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call me Cynical

• 20-07-2009 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt for a second begrudge Shamrock Rovers their friendly game against Real Madrid. It's a fantastic coup for the club and it's core supporters.

However, I have a question.

Where were these 11,000 supporters when the club were relegated to the first division. I'm not a shamrock rovers supporter but know that the clubs die-hard support base are as dedicated as any in the country and played a big part in keeping the club afloat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you're cynical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Ireland is a nation of event junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

orourkeda wrote: »
    I wouldnt for a second begrudge Shamrock Rovers their friendly game against Real Madrid. It's a fantastic coup for the club and it's core supporters.

Where were these 11,000 supporters when the club were relegated to the first division. I'm not a shamrock rovers supporter but know that the clubs die-hard support base are as dedicated as any in the country and played a big part in keeping the club afloat.

I doubt all 11,000 will be Rovers fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

you're cynical

+1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I seriously doubt the whole 11,000 are there to watch and support the Rovers ;)
    So yes your cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I know they're not all Shamrock Rovers fans. That's my point.

They're there to see Ronaldo and will stay at home next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this on the telly?

You're so cynical, you probably think this post is about you.

mike65 wrote: »
    Is this on the telly?

Yeah. Skysports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

So.....
    You seem a tad surprised by this:confused:

• Advertisement

So.....
    You seem a tad surprised by this:confused:

I'm not. Doesnt surprise me in the slightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well ask everyone this week what the "big game in Ireland" is and I guarantee the majority will say Rovers v Galacticos and not Bohs v Cans of Red Bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You're so cynical, you probably think this post is about you.

Vain?

It's not a case of Rovers fans picking and choosing when they are fans. It's more a case of anyone who is a fan of football wanting to turn up to see the calibre of players Real have. It's not about Rovers at all really.

Trilla wrote: »
    Well ask everyone this week what the "big game in Ireland" is and I guarantee the majority will say Rovers v Galacticos and not Bohs v Cans of Red Bull

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

there's hardly going to be the same demand for a LOI first division match as there is for a match against the biggest club team in the world, is there?

Ask them which one is a friendly and which game is between 2 national league champions in the champions league

Vain?

It's not a case of Rovers fans picking and choosing when they are fans. It's more a case of anyone who is a fan of football wanting to turn up to see the calibre of players Real have. It's not about Rovers at all really.

calling Mr Raider...

there's hardly going to be the same demand for a LOI first division match as there is for a match against the biggest club team in the world, is there?

If they all admit to being there to see ronaldo fair enough. Dont pretend to be a lifelong rovers fan

Vain?

Why isnt it about Shamrock Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

was their a priority scheme for season ticket holders? I hope there was. Also if they sorted out that allocation of rovers fans they should then extend that surplus to season ticket holders of other eircom league clubs.

The thought of 7,000-8,000 people who have never been to and eircom league match in their lives jumping on the bandwagon makes me sick really.

And before ya say im being over the top, this is exactly that type of fan who wont shut up how bad our league is if Real hammer rovers 6 or 7 nil.

• Advertisement

If they all admit to being there to see ronaldo fair enough. Dont pretend to be a lifelong rovers fan

Are Rovers not getting a nice slice of the action because of this game?

More arses on seats = better for Rovers I'd imagine?

Jayob10 wrote: »
    was their a priority scheme for season ticket holders? I hope there was. Also if they sorted out that allocation of rovers fans they should then extend that surplus to season ticket holders of other eircom league clubs.

The thought of 7,000-8,000 people who have never been to and eircom league match in their lives jumping on the bandwagon makes me sick really.

And before ya say im being over the top, this is exactly that type of fan who wont shut up how bad our league is if Real hammer rovers 6 or 7 nil.

How are our clubs meant to improve if they cant rely on fans turning up. This is my point exactly. They'll turn up for Real Madrid and then complain that our clubs cant compete at champions league level when they wont turn up to show their support on a regular basis

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Are Rovers not getting a nice slice of the action because of this game?

More arses on seats = better for Rovers I'd imagine?

Is it not better to have more arses on seats regularly

I'm a Man Utd fan. Few years back I went to see Cork City play Celtic in Turners Cross. Just for the laugh and to see some big names. (and to give Lennon a good cheer when he came on, twas just after all the hassle he got)

What's wrong with that? I'm sorry I don't see your point at all.

Is it not better to have more arses on seats regularly

Of course it is but it's not a case of all 11,000 are lazy Shamrock Rovers fans, a lot of them won't be Rovers fans at all. So why should they be there every week? They are just going to see some of the best players ion the world, a once off.

How regularly do you go to see manchester United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ask them which one is a friendly and which game is between 2 national league champions in the champions league
    Exactly man. Mon the Bohs! Who give a flyin fluck about Real coming to Dublin...least it will generate some income for our lovely southside neighbours :)

deisedevil wrote: »
    Of course it is but it's not a case of all 11,000 are lazy Shamrock Rovers fans, a lot of them won't be Rovers fans at all. So why should they be there every week? They are just going to see some of the best players ion the world, a once off.

This is what's wrong with football. The world begins and ends at the champions league semi finals and nothing else exists beyond this for most so called fans. People only feel the need to go and see " names " as they are called

Exactly man. Mon the Bohs! Who give a flyin fluck about Real coming to Dublin...least it will generate some income for our lovely southside neighbours :)

Real football

• Advertisement

Why isnt it about Shamrock Rovers

Because it's a great opportunity to see some a best players in the world.
    You're awfully naive. How old are you? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There's nothing groundbreaking here tbh... If Barcelona decide next week that they're gonna come to Ireland to play a friendly against Kildare County, then I'd be interested in attending that too. Why are you getting worked up about this match? You never watch a team play that you don't support?

I'm 32. I've already seen some if the best players in the world. I go to matches regularly.

This is what's wrong with football. The world begins and ends at the champions league semi finals and nothing else exists beyond this for most so called fans. People only feel the need to go and see " names " as they are called

Good shout,

It seems the casual fan outweighs the die hard fan nowadays.

Dave! wrote: »
    There's nothing groundbreaking here tbh... If Barcelona decide next week that they're gonna come to Ireland to play a friendly against Kildare County, then I'd be interested in attending that too. Why are you getting worked up about this match? You never watch a team play that you don't support?

Ok so Real Madrid have a gigantic support in Ireland that Travel regularly to the Bernabeu?

I'm 32. I've already seen some if the best players in the world. I go to matches regularly.

Well good for you.
    Lots of others haven't. And don't get the oppotunity without having to spend a fortune to travel to another country to do so.
    They are football fans who want to see great players and now have that chance. As I tried putting across to you, it's not a case of lazy Rovers fans deciding to turn up. It's football fans in general turning up. I don't see why you have a problem with that.
    You seem to be missing the point entirely so I won't try after this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Real football

pun intended or irony?

Either way it gave me a good chuckle. Almost as funny as General Stuart being ambushed in surprise valley

Ok so Real Madrid have a gigantic support in Ireland that Travel regularly to the Bernabeu?
    What are you talking about?

c0rk3r wrote: »
    pun intended or irony?

Either way it gave me a good chuckle. Almost as funny as General Stuart being ambushed in surprise valley

The Old J.E.B Stuart

Well good for you.
    Lots of others haven't. And don't get the oppotunity without having to spend a fortune to travel to another country to do so.
    They are football fans who want to see great players and now have that chance. As I tried putting across to you, it's not a case of lazy Rovers fans deciding to turn up. It's football fans in general turning up. I don't see why you have a problem with that.
    You seem to be missing the point entirely so I won't try after this post.

You are correct in your point about it not being 11,000 lazy rovers fans showing up. Its "football fans" showing up.
    My point is that a large slice of these "football fans" shouldn't have first option on a ticket.
    I'd rather see 11,000 fans (preferably season ticket holders) of eircom league clubs around the country have been given first option to purchase tickets for this.

Dave! wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

I dont go to games where i dont support one of the teams. Thats what i'm talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

OP, you're not making any sense here. Clearly the majority of the 11,000 fans are there to see an exhibition by the best footballing squad in the world right now. Their opponents are irrelevant, it would get the same response in any part of the country, or any other country for that matter. Can't make it any clearer than that for you.

I dont go to games where i dont support one of the teams. Thats what i'm talking about?
    Fair enough... Lots of other people do. Nothing wrong with it.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    You are correct in your point about it not being 11,000 lazy rovers fans showing up. Its "football fans" showing up.
    My point is that a large slice of these "football fans" shouldn't have first option on a ticket.
    I'd rather see 11,000 fans (preferably season ticket holders) of eircom league clubs around the country have been given first option to purchase tickets for this.

Can you ever see that happening in fairness. One of my points is that these same football fans wont go to LOI games regularly.

Is the term fan used somewhat loosely here

Your not much of a football fan in general then. Just blindly following the one team with no real interest in football, just like the feeling of belonging to something. That's obviously why you can't understand people wanting to see some of the best footballers on the planet then.

eddiehead wrote: »
    OP, you're not making any sense here. Clearly the majority of the 11,000 fans are there to see an exhibition by the best footballing squad in the world right now. Their opponents are irrelevant, it would get the same response in any part of the country, or any other country for that matter. Can't make it any clearer than that for you.

You say that their opponents are irrelevant. The reason i started this thread was to suggest that the opponents are not irrelevant. They just happen to be Irelands most successful football club.

Can you ever see that happening in fairness. One of my points is that these same football fans wont go to LOI games regularly.

Football fan does not mean you must support an LOI team. You can be a fanatic of football in general without having to be a fanatic of one team only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

We did this before... :D:D:D

teenies.jpg

deisedevil wrote: »
    Your not much of a football fan in general then. Just blindly following the one team with no real interest in football, just like the feeling of belonging to something. That's obviously why you can't understand people wanting to see some of the best footballers on the planet then.

Kindly Explain.

Considering I block book for Ireland games. Go to most Bohemians home games and am a season ticket holder at an english premier league club. But you wouldnt consider me a football fan would you.

Of course some of the best players on the planet dont play international football do they or dont play in the EPL or in european competiton

i'm pretty much agreeing with you mate, the term "football fan" is used very loosely here.
    This is the irish "football fan", probably mainly Man Utd fanatics in the pub on a saturday/sunday who won't visit Tallaght for a game ever again.

Thats the type of fan I want to see kept as far away from a novelty exhibition like this. A great spectacle to see such great players yes. But such a privilege should be extended to fans who genuinely support irish football year in year out.
    Maybe when this casual fan cannot get tickets for a glamour game like this it will make him wonder why. It might even encourage a bit of future loyalty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement