Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call me Cynical

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

orourkeda wrote: »
    Because the Real Madird bandwagon is in town.

You should know all about bandwagons considering youre a manchester United fan

MOD NOTE: Please refrain from petty jibes, it offers nothing to an argument and makes you look a bit silly tbh.

Any more (from anyone) and there will be infractions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

When was the last time 7,000 people turned up fpr a shamrock rovers regular home game

Probably well over twenty years ago, but judging from their home attendances this year and the extra demand for tickets, it is a likely scenario. Tallaght people love living on a diet of association football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Probably well over twenty years ago, but judging from their home attendances this year and the extra demand for tickets, it is a likely scenario. Tallaght people love living on a diet of association football!

Its a possibility, but not for some time yet. If they love living on a diet of association football should they not be more proactive in their approach to attending games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/Shrugs.

About half of the crowd will be there solely to watch Madrid; the other half will all be Rovers fans of varying degrees with at least 3-4 thousand active supporters.

There are more LOI fans than you think who first got the bug at a celeb-friendly.

And as for the length of your support: nobody is better than anybody else. A fan who got mad into it this season and goes to as many games as they can is as good a fan as somebody who has been there since year dot, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Seriously what's wrong with people turning up to watch 2 of the greatest players of their generation (Kaka, Ronaldo) play football? Their abilities far surpass anything that most of these people have been able to see before in Ireland. Many might not be able to afford to travel regularly over for PL games, does this make them less of a fan?

Like it or not, Ronaldo, Kaka et al are far greater entertainers than the Shamrock Rovers players. As a fan of football I would absolutely love the opportunity to see those with the greatest ability at the sport showcase their phenomenal talent. But this somehow makes me a 'false' fan? Ridiculous.

I would understand if you're having a jibe at a load of teeny-bopper girls showing up who are just there because they think Ronaldo is hot, but true fans of the game surely want to see the top players, those that have really excelled and can do things on the ball that you couldn't dream of seeing in the LoI. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Worst. Thread. Ever.

Seriously what's wrong with people turning up to watch 2 of the greatest players of their generation (Kaka, Ronaldo) play football? Their abilities far surpass anything that most of these people have been able to see before in Ireland. Many might not be able to afford to travel regularly over for PL games, does this make them less of a fan?

Like it or not, Ronaldo, Kaka et al are far greater entertainers than the Shamrock Rovers players. As a fan of football I would absolutely love the opportunity to see those with the greatest ability at the sport showcase their phenomenal talent. But this somehow makes me a 'false' fan? Ridiculous.

I would understand if you're having a jibe at a load of teeny-bopper girls showing up who are just there because they think Ronaldo is hot, but true fans of the game surely want to see the top players, those that have really excelled and can do things on the ball that you couldn't dream of seeing in the LoI. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Can you answer me this. What happens when Real Madrid leave. Do Irish football fans wait for the next generations best two players to turn before they go to see Shamrock Rovers again or do they make a regular and valuable contribution to their local teams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I have to wonder about anyone who honestly thinks this match is anything about Shamrock Rovers.

It is essentially a training session for Real Madrid. It is a privately organised match, and Shamrock Rovers are being paid for their time and the use of their stadium.

The general public are allowed in to watch if they are willing to pony up some cash. Shamrock Rovers got some priority as part of the deal for their own fans. My view of it is that Shamrock Rovers fans should feel priveleged that they are being given an opportunity to watch Real Madrid train against their team.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that other Eircom League teams fans should have got priority tickets either. This match is nothing to do with the Eircom League or Irish football in general. It is essentially a private function, organised for Real Madrid.

Given that it's Real Madrid's show, I would expect a serious amount of interest, and I would expect most people there to be there to see Real Madrid rather than Shamrock Rovers.

There is no 'bandwagon' to jump on here, it is a one time only deal. Granted we get Premier League teams coming over every summer for a few friendlies, but I can't for the life of me remember such an exotic and stellar team as Real Madrid coming over for training camp and exhibition/training match like this.

Fair play to whoever managed to get tickets, Rovers fans or not, I hope you enjoy what will probably be a once in a lifetime spectacle.
    (If you're not too busy moaning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

spockety wrote: »
    This match is nothing to do with the Eircom League

I should hope not, seeing as it doesn't exist.

Anyroo, I'm really looking forward to tonight, whatever the score or attendant annoyances I have to witness: not least to see the ground full on all four sides.

In hindsight, I just wish the game would be over in some ways. It's becoming a distraction from Sunday. The hype is becoming unbearable especially as you are going to see all sorts of I told you so/made a show of the league guff tomorrow if we get beaten by a team with 500+ times our turnover. Also the negative consequences of having jumped in the bed with P1/SDCC on this still seriously rankle.

Apparently Madrid like the set-up here, so P1 will probably make a regular gig of it in the Aviva when it's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ok not you, but it has been suggested -
    I'd rather see 11,000 fans (preferably season ticket holders) of eircom league clubs around the country have been given first option to purchase tickets for this.

Eh, I didn't say that at all. I've no idea how you managed to quote me saying it. :confused:

I was of the opinion the OP is talking rubbish and is completely missing the point people are making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Can you answer me this. What happens when Real Madrid leave. Do Irish football fans wait for the next generations best two players to turn before they go to see Shamrock Rovers again or do they make a regular and valuable contribution to their local teams.

They will go back to doing whatever they were doing before the match, seriously man, get over it!

• Advertisement

I have to wonder about anyone who honestly thinks this match is anything about Shamrock Rovers.

It is essentially a training session for Real Madrid. It is a privately organised match, and Shamrock Rovers are being paid for their time and the use of their stadium.

The general public are allowed in to watch if they are willing to pony up some cash. Shamrock Rovers got some priority as part of the deal for their own fans. My view of it is that Shamrock Rovers fans should feel priveleged that they are being given an opportunity to watch Real Madrid train against their team.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that other Eircom League teams fans should have got priority tickets either. This match is nothing to do with the Eircom League or Irish football in general. It is essentially a private function, organised for Real Madrid.

Given that it's Real Madrid's show, I would expect a serious amount of interest, and I would expect most people there to be there to see Real Madrid rather than Shamrock Rovers.

There is no 'bandwagon' to jump on here, it is a one time only deal. Granted we get Premier League teams coming over every summer for a few friendlies, but I can't for the life of me remember such an exotic and stellar team as Real Madrid coming over for training camp and exhibition/training match like this.

Fair play to whoever managed to get tickets, Rovers fans or not, I hope you enjoy what will probably be a once in a lifetime spectacle.

60 euro for a privileged training session and your saying theres no bandwagon being jumped on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Good article here by Gareth Maher.

Sums up the downside to this kind of wheeze.

Elsewhere it's been said that Bohs were declined sponsorship for their actual competitive CL game on Wednesday, because the dosh had gone to support Shamrock v Real. That might delight some, of course, but it is a good illustration of our footballing priorities.

eddiehead wrote: »
    They will go back to doing whatever they were doing before the match, seriously man, get over it!

Theres your problem

60 euro for a privileged training session and your saying theres no bandwagon being jumped on.

What are you talking about? Can you define what you mean by a bandwagon?

In fact can you point me to where anything I said was wrong? It's irrelevant whether or not the price is 60 Euro. It could be 10 Euro or 100 Euro and the principle of it is the same.

Shamrock Rovers fans there tonight will have paid 60 euro also, just like any non Shamrock Rovers fans.

There's a reason Rovers fans can't get in on their season ticket... it's nothing to do with their club, it's not their home match.. it's a private function essentially that just happens to be played in their home ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Of course it makes you a false fan. Absolutely. Your only attendance at a game in Ireland for this year (on the back of your last comment) will be Real V Rovers.
    I reckon thats a sign of someone who loves the game so much they attend one game a year.

Teeny bopper girls are what they are, they dont try and pass themselves off as "keen football fans".
    Like your good self whose €60 for the game tonight will be your only contribution to the game in this country.
    Its not the game of football you like, its the glamour of the big stars. You have no real affinity.

Someone brought up the Newcastle game and thats a perfect example.

The attitude seems to be "give me the best teams in my front garden. If its good and its hyped up then ill jump on the bandwagon and pass myself off as a fan".
    You see it with the rugby. How many of this new generation of rugby fans remember the crap days of the 80s and 90s. No lets just latch on when the times are good.

SectionF wrote: »
    Good article here by Gareth Maher.

Sums up the downside to this kind of wheeze.

I believe that this guy is making the same mistake as some people here.. assuming that this match is about Shamrock Rovers and Irish football in general.

Shamrock Rovers, Ireland, and Irish football are incidental to the whole thing. It's a Real Madrid training session as part of their 10 day pre-season camp in Kildare.

Why should he expect journalists who generally cover League of Ireland football to be granted access to the match over and above the hundreds of international journalists who follow Real Madrid around? After all, it is Real Madrid's gig.

so you see nothing funny about the way most irish football fans will know the score of this game and not have any idea (or interest) of how Bohs will do against Salzburg??

What does that say about the average football fan in Ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I honestly don't see how this can be anything but good for Shamrock Rovers. Let's say there's 1 or 2 thousand kids there who will be seeing Rovers play, maybe for the first time. Let's say 100 of them want to go back and see them in the coming weeks and their parents bring them and end up buying the jersey. This increases revenue doesn't it? Maybe I'm a bit naive but I can't see how playing in front of 11 million people can be bad for a club's brand/status.

Well I don't have a local team but I would assume the answer for most fans would be yes.

They will continue to watch the game being played at its highest level, mainly on the box, maybe the odd weekend here and there flying over to England if they can afford it, and maybe (if another once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like this comes along) in their local stadium.

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    so you see nothing funny about the way most irish football fans will know the score of this game and not have any idea (or interest) of how Bohs will do against Salzburg??

why would most Irish football fans have an interest in just 1 team? Do you think Cork or Galway fans should give a crap about Bohs? Does that not make them as 'bad' as people who are going to see Rovers play just because it's against Madrid albeit on a smaller scale?

It says they are more interested watching players of exceptionally high quality than players of average quality.

What are you talking about? Can you define what you mean by a bandwagon?

In fact can you point me to where anything I said was wrong? It's irrelevant whether or not the price is 60 Euro. It could be 10 Euro or 100 Euro and the principle of it is the same.

Shamrock Rovers fans there tonight will have paid 60 euro also, just like any non Shamrock Rovers fans.

There's a reason Rovers fans can't get in on their season ticket... it's nothing to do with their club, it's not their home match.. it's a private function essentially that just happens to be played in their home ground!

Someone mentioned Leeds and Newcastle earlier. No Hype

Ipswich Town in Cork last night. Little Hype

LOI european games last week and this week. Little Hype.

Is it a coincidence that this is the most hyped that just happens to be against one of the biggest clubs in football. It's silly to suggest that there is no bandwagon here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I believe that this guy is making the same mistake as some people here.. assuming that this match is about Shamrock Rovers and Irish football in general.

Shamrock Rovers, Ireland, and Irish football are incidental to the whole thing. It's a Real Madrid training session as part of their 10 day pre-season camp in Kildare.

Why should he expect journalists who generally cover League of Ireland football to be granted access to the match over and above the hundreds of international journalists who follow Real Madrid around? After all, it is Real Madrid's gig.
    Precisely. This is a showbiz gig run in Real's interests. Shamrock wouldn't touch this circus with a barge pole in the middle of a title-contention season if they had a choice, and neither would any other self-respecting Irish club, but they have to succumb to the demand for celebrity.
    It's a sad commentary on the state of the game here, which is why I fully understand the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The ‘great Irish sporting public’ thing is a myth. Irish people aren’t sports fans, they’re event junkies. Irish people will turn up in their tens of thousands for an event but don’t bother themselves with trivialities like league games.

Witness the difference in Dublin GAA league and Championship crowds, Leinster Magners League and Heineken Cup crowds, even the difference between a winning Republic of Ireland international side and one struggling.

There’s none more fair weather than the Irish sporting fan. They don’t go to support, they go to witness.

Liam O wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how this can be anything but good for Shamrock Rovers. Let's say there's 1 or 2 thousand kids there who will be seeing Rovers play, maybe for the first time. Let's say 100 of them want to go back and see them in the coming weeks and their parents bring them and end up buying the jersey. This increases revenue doesn't it? Maybe I'm a bit naive but I can't see how playing in front of 11 million people can be bad for a club's brand/status.

I wouldn't dispute that its a good thing for Rovers. Of course it is.

I'm just questioning the quality of irish football fans.

• Advertisement

why would most Irish football fans have an interest in just 1 team? Do you think Cork or Galway fans should give a crap about Bohs? Does that not make them as 'bad' as people who are going to see Rovers play just because it's against Madrid albeit on a smaller scale?

Who's asking Cork or Galway fans to care about bohs.

I'm saying why should bohs fans or non real madrid fans give a crap about real madrid

I don't think people get it.

It's a one off event, that's why people won't be showing up next week.

The bandwagon argument falls flat on it's face once you realise that people are going tonight not to see Shamrock Rovers, but to see Real Madrid.

If they're going to see Real Madrid, why on earth would you be critical of the fact that they are not going to come back to see Shamrock Rovers week after week?
    :confused:

I don't think people get it.

It's a one off event, that's why people won't be showing up next week.

The bandwagon argument falls flat on it's face once you realise that people are going tonight not to see Shamrock Rovers, but to see Real Madrid.

If they're going to see Real Madrid, why on earth would you be critical of the fact that they are not going to come back to see Shamrock Rovers week after week?
    :confused:

Newcastle united was a one off event.

Did 11000 people turn up?

SectionF wrote: »
    Precisely. This is a showbiz gig run in Real's interests. Shamrock wouldn't touch this circus with a barge pole in the middle of a title-contention season if they had a choice, and neither would any other self-respecting Irish club, but they have to succumb to the demand for celebrity.
    It's a sad commentary on the state of the game here, which is why I fully understand the OP.

I think this bolded part is the big sticking point, and where the argument is hinging.

I havn't got tickets for the match but I would love to go. And not because Ronaldo and Kaka et al are really really famous, but because they are phenomenal footballers.

And I wouldn't be there supporting anyone or predenting to support anyone. I couldn't give a toss about Shamrock Rovers. I would go to see those players who have the highest quality and are at the very pinnacle of the sport I enjoy most.

Id have thought the prospect of champions league football might be more attractive. Then again you'd more than likely have such fans as yourself jumping on the bandwagon if Bohs made the group stages of the champions league.

And would these be the same Cork or Galway fans in your eyes should be drooling at the prospect of a meaningless friendly with Real? Rather than a real game like a champions league qualifier.

Yours is the stereotypical attitude of irish football fans.

So wrong on so many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I for one am sticking to my guns and tradition......It's on Sky Sports tonight :rolleyes:

If you don't understand what is different about a match where Newcastle United are playing, and a match where Real Madrid are playing, then I'm not sure there's much point in debating.

I think this bolded part is the big sticking point, and where the argument is hinging.

I havn't got tickets for the match but I would love to go. And not because Ronaldo and Kaka et al are really really famous, but because they are phenomenal footballers.

And I wouldn't be there supporting anyone or predenting to support anyone. I couldn't give a toss about Shamrock Rovers. I would go to see those players who have the highest quality and are at the very pinnacle of the sport I enjoy most.

DEMAND FOR CELEBRITY

There you go now we're getting somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You really just don't get it do you?

People are going to see REAL MADRID, not Shamrock Rovers. Even the Rovers fans there (although cheering on Rovers) will be there to see Real Madrid.

Newcastle are not enticing enough to warrant 11,000 fans. Real Madrid are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

6,000 people turned up for the sold out Newcastle and Shamrock Rovers games.

Id have thought the prospect of champions league football might be more attractive. Then again you'd more than likely have such fans as yourself jumping on the bandwagon if Bohs made the group stages of the champions league.

And would these be the same Cork or Galway fans in your eyes should be drooling at the prospect of a meaningless friendly with Real? Rather than a real game like a champions league qualifier.

But do you not understand that people like me don't follow Bohs and Rovers and whoever at all? Why should I care what happens to Bohs in their CL qualifier, I don't support them. I would have little more interest in this CL match than I would in any of the other qualifiers.

But I would have plenty of interest in watching Real play as they are the top players in the world. It's pretty straightforward, and I don't see what's 'wrong' about it.

The ‘great Irish sporting public’ thing is a myth. Irish people aren’t sports fans, they’re event junkies. Irish people will turn up in their tens of thousands for an event but don’t bother themselves with trivialities like league games.

Witness the difference in Dublin GAA league and Championship crowds, Leinster Magners League and Heineken Cup crowds, even the difference between a winning Republic of Ireland international side and one struggling.

There’s none more fair weather than the Irish sporting fan. They don’t go to support, they go to witness.[/quote]

This is the one post in here that cannot be disputed. Its worded to perfection and captures exactly where the average Irish football/Sports fan is at.

6,000 people turned up for the sold out Newcastle and Shamrock Rovers games.

Was there the same level of hype

There’s none more fair weather than the Irish sporting fan. They don’t go to support, they go to witness.[/quote]

This is the one post in here that cannot be disputed. Its worded to perfection and captures exactly where the average Irish football/Sports fan is at.

I agree wholeheartedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I suppose if a team with the prestige of Real Madrid came to my back yard in West Cork i'd try and get to see them, still waiting. Although at €60 a pop maybe not.

• Advertisement

DEMAND FOR CELEBRITY

Yes exactly this seems to be what your problem is - the hype, the spectacle, the celebrity.

But can you not accept that people want to see these players play because they are phenomenally good at what they do? This is a footballing reason for wanting to see them, nothing to do with a 'demand for celebrity'

You really just don't get it do you?

People are going to see REAL MADRID, not Shamrock Rovers. Even the Rovers fans there (although cheering on Rovers) will be there to see Real Madrid.

Newcastle are not enticing enough to warrant 11,000 fans. Real Madrid are.

This is the comment that made me laugh the most. This guy has such high standards that Newcastle didnt "entice him".

My god Irish "football fans" are a joke. You have such a love for the game that you need to be "enticed" to games once a year?

Who will top Madrid for ya?

Now you have seen the best in ireland will you cease to watch football in ireland? Im just curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

DEMAND FOR CELEBRITY

No we're not, we're getting absolutely nowhere, thats what we've been saying from the start, remember? back when you said I insulted Rovers.

Yes exactly this seems to be what your problem is - the hype, the spectacle, the celebrity.

But can you not accept that people want to see these players play because they are phenomenally good at what they do? This is a footballing reason for wanting to see them, nothing to do with a 'demand for celebrity'

I accept that. I'm well aware of the fact. I'm suggesting that theres more at play than people just turning up because there are talented players at show.

Why should I give a crap about Bohs. I'm a Shels fan with family ties to Rovers. I can't go to games because I work until 10 most nights. If Bohs make the group stages I'll eat my hat but if they do I will wish them well because it will increase the coefficient or whatever it is for more Irish teams to play in Europe.

And as for your bandwagon jibe. What do you know about me? Nice generalisation :rolleyes: what is my attitude? Go on tell me.

EDIT:should probably add that I'm also a United fan and do go to games every year, as far as my budget will allow. I don't think I mentioned it in this thread so I'm not sure where you came to those assumptions about me...

also I would question your attitude. If you are going to scare fans away from the LOI by branding them bandwagon jumpers everytime they go to a game then I'm not sure what you plan on achieving.

Why should I give a crap about Bohs. I'm a Shels fan with family ties to Rovers. I can't go to games because I work until 10 most nights. If Bohs make the group stages I'll eat my hat but if they do I will wish them well because it will increase the coefficient or whatever it is for more Irish teams to play in Europe.

And as for your bandwagon jibe. What do you know about me? Nice generalisation :rolleyes: what is my attitude? Go on tell me.

Who's asking you to give a crap about bohs?

If thats your attitude Who's asking you to give a crap about Real Madrid?

Chances are BOhs wont make the group stages but wasnt it shels that almost went under trying to get to the CL group stages

No we're not, we're getting absolutely nowhere, thats what we've been saying from the start, remember? back when you said I insulted Rovers.

Listen there is nowt wrong with going to see the top players on the planet. Nothing at all.
    I am just questioning the type of casual fan that such a game attracts. Someone who claims to love football so much that they only go to one game a year in ireland (also it needs to be one that includes the most expensive players on the planet) isn't a true football fan.

There is most certainly a degree of hype and to say otherwise is wrong. Irish people are seduced by such hype.

OK. So let me get this straight. Youve been saying from the start that people are going because of the attraction of celebrity, but theres no bandwagon

this is the comment in which he said that basically 'most' Irish football fans should have an interest in Bohs for the record, you may have missed it.

• Advertisement

EDIT:should probably add that I'm also a United fan and do go to games every year, as far as my budget will allow. I don't think I mentioned it in this thread so I'm not sure where you came to those assumptions about me...

also I would question your attitude. If you are going to scare fans away from the LOI by branding them bandwagon jumpers everytime they go to a game then I'm not sure what you plan on achieving.

The game just happens to be Real Madrid. I'm sure thats just a minor coincidence. Seeing as there are no bandwagons in sight

Advertisement