Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More games in Dublin Ranking Battles?

• 20-07-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Is anyone interested in extending the xgc meet-ups to incorporate more games? Personally I'd like to see third strike included, maybe just as a side-tourny to the main one (SF4). No prize money, just for extra fun! I know there are a few third strike players around and we have at least two copies of the anniversary edition on xbox (I have one and retrogamer has one).

Would it be too messy to organise more than one at a time? Maybe azza and leprekaun might have some idea since they organised the last SF4 tourny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'd like ST but it's not gonna happen,I think there's only around 3 of us that play ST.But you might get people to play 3s,there seems to be interest in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I'd like ST too but fear there wouldn't be much interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

blag wrote: »
    I'd like ST but it's not gonna happen,I think there's only around 3 of us that play ST.But you might get people to play 3s,there seems to be interest in that.

Yeah I knew you'd want that! Well, it is on the anniversary edition so if you had enough players you could do it. I'm just using this thread to guage interest

Maybe people could specify if they would like to play super turbo or third strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HD Remix, 3rd Strike and/or BlazBlue.
    And maybe Tekken 6 soon...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    HD Remix, 3rd Strike and/or BlazBlue.
    And maybe Tekken 6 soon...

Yeah, i think we should look at having a minimum number of entrants. If we don't have enough players then there's no point. But where to set a minimum?! 10 player min?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

At least the name is catching on. I'd say slowly and steadily does it. Remember that it's very easy to say "let's add x, x and x" but puts a lot more work and organisation on those running it. Also increases the chances that something goes wrong and possibly reduces the enjoyment.

Could also dilute the experience unless ye are going to venture into booking a conference room (so that tournaments can be spaced out) as people will be less likely to watch matches (which can add to the matches), people may want to enter multiple tournaments (not possible unless spaced out) and add to the length of time the tournament takes. Also, if there is less interest in certain elements, the pricing structure for each bit is different.

Tournament 1 (community organised) has just taken place - good to have objectives for the future but keep it manageable...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

I'd play Third Strike, I have a copy for Xbox too. Maybe if people see it being played more they might get into it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think given the time restraints for the current events with people travelling from around the country, it would be hard to run both games on the same day. Perhaps you should run a SF4 day and then "an other" day were you incorporate a few other fighting games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

It's a complete no brainer to have at least HD Remix as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think it would be a mistake to do more than one game before we're entirely comfortable with the logistics of the whole thing. No need to rush. Get SF4 running poifict before adding more workload for the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

KOFXII/'98 no? Just bought the latter on Xbox arcade and really like the play style...

If we can't get interest for even ST/HDR, I doubt there's any chance of KOF. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Well I mean anyone can put their hand up and nominate themselves to host a casual or tournament for another game. I think it would be unfair to Lep and Azza though to lump another tournament to manage in with SFIV.

I mean if someone is willing to manage it, maybe on another weekend to SFIV, I don't see why not. Numbers would probably dictate whether it will work for a tournament and not just a casual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always bring the xbox anniversary edition and at every casual a group ends up playing third strike or super turbo. I think it's best to keep it to the casuals after the organisational nightmare of the last tournament until we can put one on comfortably. I'd personally like to see some SNK love at the casuals with some Samurai Showdown 2 and Garou but it's a pain getting them on to the 360's if it's even possible at all.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just to point out the Lep and his brother will not be around for a while. There heading back to Egypt for a few months , so unless we are moving the events to Cairo or the Great Pyramids Lep won't be organising them.

The casuals don't take up too much time to organise but I'll be looking for a volunteer to help at the next competition we do.

So if there is any volunteers let us know.

Instead of lumping extra workload and headaches on Azza and co, maybe it would be a better idea to have "other" game casuals/tournaments on alternate weekends. But as people have said, there's no rush. There has only been one community organised tournament and I'm sure there are still issues to be ironed out (which would then help with organising other events).

How about setting up a poll to see how many people would meet up to play alternative games?

@mods: Is it too late to start a poll in this thread?

Azza wrote: »
    Just to point out the Lep and his brother will not be around for a while. There heading back to Egypt for a few months , so unless we are moving the events to Cairo or the Great Pyramids Lep won't be organising them.

The casuals don't take up too much time to organise but I'll be looking for a volunteer to help at the next competition we do.

It prob makes logical sense for me to help out, forum wise, I'm not sure how much of a help I'd be at the events though (noob that I am to competative ass kickery).

Azza wrote: »

Happy to give you a hand if you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I'd be up for hosting other fighting game tournaments on the same day but there would have to be a few adjustments.

The main adjustment would have to be time. If two tournaments are to be run on the same day, they'd have to be run at different times. This would allow us as management to manage things better rather than having to keep up with two tournaments at the same time and as players, give us a chance to play in both games rather than having to be limited to one tournament.

An alternate method if they were to be run at the same time is to have more people for management.

As Azza mentioned in his post, I personally won't be here for the next couple months but really, its not difficult to manage. The only real reason why there were delays was due to some bad pre-tourney organisation on my part. The majority of the organisation is the stuff leading up to it but its fairly straightforward on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I suppose there no reason why anyone can't do this.
    All you need is to get a few people to go and rent consoles.

I Play 3rd strike and HD remix and would love to get some games of 3s offline.
    See how my parrying holds up.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Could you please continue discussion of this topic here.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement