Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports and ESPN

• 20-07-2009 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

i don't currently have sky sports due to the fact they never showed Celtic games, so i preferred ****anta. now that the games will now be shown on this sky sports/espn deal, how much would i expect to pay to get both these channels on????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

poindexter wrote: »
    i don't currently have sky sports due to the fact they never showed Celtic games, so i preferred ****anta. now that the games will now be shown on this sky sports/espn deal, how much would i expect to pay to get both these channels on????

33 a month for both, i think. i think Sky Sports is 23 or there abouts, and ESPN will apparently be 10, if you have a Sky Sports sub, 14 if not (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

I think sky sports is about 32e plus probably another 18e for ESPN. ESPN games will be alright although the monday games were always pretty poor. no top four teams. apparently setanta are going to a new price of 16.00 a month and giving it free on an extra box if you have one. i have seen their line-up of games. not bad if you your'e a liverpool or manu fan. i am starting to think that sky + setanta will do for me or maybe even setanta plus the pub for teh big sky games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sky Sports package with UPC is €30 a month. I assumed ESPN is included in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mousey007 wrote: »
    I think sky sports is about 32e plus probably another 18e for ESPN. ESPN games will be alright although the monday games were always pretty poor. no top four teams. apparently setanta are going to a new price of 16.00 a month and giving it free on an extra box if you have one. i have seen their line-up of games. not bad if you your'e a liverpool or manu fan. i am starting to think that sky + setanta will do for me or maybe even setanta plus the pub for teh big sky games.

16 Euro? I was paying that before they lost the rights, I will seriously consider not getting it, they will have to better than that imo, are you sure about an extra 18 Euro for ESPN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just spoken to a girl from sky(beautiful Yorkshire accent :D) ESPN will be an extra 12 Euro per month if you aready have Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

More live tv football yaaaaaahh :rolleyes:

why bother..any live game anywhere is streamed on the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

dogpile wrote: »

Correct. Havent/never will pay for sly sports. I can watch espn/every game my team plays, online.

Not sure if espn will throttle their online coverage this coming season, if so there is always the scandinavian/oriental options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's no guarantee of a picture perfect stream though. I don't mind watching matches online but it can be a bit annoying if the stream is all jumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Because not everyone enjoys watching a 3 inch squared jittery blurred picture! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mousey007 wrote: »
    apparently setanta are going to a new price of 16.00 a month

When was this announced?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Because not everyone enjoys watching a 3 inch squared jittery blurred picture! :rolleyes:

Not everyone has any notion of where the best links are to be found either. Or when they do find them, how to optimise the viewing experience from the player/client they are using. If you dont use/havent downloaded a software client, then most of the links are rubbish, especially the ones where lads come online on a saturday and go "any links lads?" and they expect a HD experience. Not gonna happen. Get yourself a working sopcast browser before the new season. Ive been watching it for 3 years. With the laptop i can watch anywhere with wifi........watched two games at the airport last season before flights. And i watched 37 of my teams league games last season online (90 mins of each) on a stable client.

I generally watch on a 17' by 15' on sopcast. Thats good enough for me from 2/3 feet away. Alternatively, you can hook a laptop up to your tv if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

daithijjj wrote: »
    Not everyone has any notion of where the best links are to be found either. Or when they do find them, how to optimise the viewing experience from the player/client they are using. If you dont use/havent downloaded a software client, then most of the links are rubbish, especially the ones where lads come online on a saturday and go "any links lads?" and they expect a HD experience. Not gonna happen. Get yourself a working sopcast browser before the new season. Ive been watching it for 3 years. With the laptop i can watch anywhere with wifi........watched two games at the airport last season before flights. And i watched 37 of my teams league games last season online (90 mins of each) on a stable client.

I generally watch on a 17' by 15' on sopcast. Thats good enough for me from 2/3 feet away. Alternatively, you can hook a laptop up to your tv if you wish.
    i have used sopcast, and tvants, tvu, and usee, and a hole load of stuff, i have never found a stream of good enough quality to watch at that size. I have tried expanding them to that size but the quality is never even close to be good enough to really view in that size - it becomes all blocky the bigger it is made. Where are you finding such quality streams and what are the bit rates on them?

i have used sopcast, and tvants, tvu, and usee, and a hole load of stuff, i have never found a stream of good enough quality to watch at that size. I have tried expanding them to that size but the quality is never even close to be good enough to really view in that size - it becomes all blocky the bigger it is made. Where are you finding such quality streams and what are the bit rates on them?

If memory serves, the bit rates are generally anywhere between 260 and 800.

Have you tried using 'yes' channel on sopcast?......i think it is 6186 in the sop browser. Tvu doesnt do a full screen but i think i have to do an upgrade to the browser, i cancelled the option a few days ago. It does do an enlarged version. Im not entirely sure where i stand on going further on this topic as i was warned by a moderator in the broadband section that if i followed up my previous input any deeper i would receive a warning.

Anyway, i posted a few links on the soccer forum last season that were 'personal' links uploaded by an individual who i do not know. These links were direct links to sky sports/setanta with the visual aspect as close to tv standard as i have seen anywhere online. These links require access codes and i also posted these. The few times i watched these links i got curious so i went round to a friends house to determine the real time difference to tv........it was 5 second delay to real time on each occassion i checked and the picture was the best i have seen. Hopefully, the uploader will be doing the same job this season. I try several different links from the clients you have mentioned on any given day. You are correct that the visual experience is not a great standard but in all fairness if they were, then sky would close down id imagine.

Also, the 'jumpiness' of any given picture is determined by alot of different things from your own personal broadband speed, to the traffic on the server or the actual quality or reliabilty of that particular client. It can even be affected by your neighbours use of their broadband. I have checked this out with my own provider/owner of my isp. He is a friend and runs the isp, i have his mobile no and he is also an intense 'gamer'. He divulged me some info on how a neighbours use of their broadband can affect your experience. Not saying this is your personal case but really just for the masses out there who have a bad experience of watching online.

Advertisement