Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Injury and Advice

Options
  • 20-07-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am 26 yrs old and I have had 2 back surgeries for herniated discs. I have played football and GAA for years but have had to stop as a result. However, I go to the gym regularly and I am still very fit. I am looking for a program that will do a few things.

1) Bulk up my arms
    2) Tone abs as I want a strong core for my back (but also cos it looks good!)
    3) Be generally toned.

I like to swim also. I have been improving my stroke and breathing also so lengths could be factored into any suggested programs?

All ideas are welcome. The only machine which I currently have experienced problems with is the rower which I avoid. I am unsure of how free weights may affect me.

Also, a big point is i like to be in and out of the gym in and around an hour.

Advice for me anyone?

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

G00L wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am 26 yrs old and I have had 2 back surgeries for herniated discs. I have played football and GAA for years but have had to stop as a result. However, I go to the gym regularly and I am still very fit. I am looking for a program that will do a few things.

1) Bulk up my arms
    2) Tone abs as I want a strong core for my back (but also cos it looks good!)
    3) Be generally toned.

I like to swim also. I have been improving my stroke and breathing also so lengths could be factored into any suggested programs?

All ideas are welcome. The only machine which I currently have experienced problems with is the rower which I avoid. I am unsure of how free weights may affect me.

Also, a big point is i like to be in and out of the gym in and around an hour.

Advice for me anyone?

David

I reckon a sports injury type or a good osteopath might be worth talking to. You need to establish what it is safe for you to do with your back.
    You wont find that out here.

Maybe look into Interval training for swimming. Even try to get some coaching. I think people underrate the effectiveness of swimming for cardio.

You could do say 4 balls out lengths then a slow breast stroke for 2. A swimming coach introduced that kind of thing to me, a few years back. It was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

G00L wrote: »
    I am 26 yrs old and I have had 2 back surgeries for herniated discs.
    Please consult with a medical professional before embarking on any new exercise regime. You'd also be better advised doing this exercise under the direct supervision of a qualified trainer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement