Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers V Real Madrid - Friendly Match Thread (nb: please read post #183)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

there's a Ronaldo shirt for everyone in the Audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

syngindub wrote: »
    quality quite good on this http://www.justin.tv/vip_tenisss/old

That was a great stream, cheers.

Great peformance by Rovers. Unlucky not to get a draw. They looked far sharper, which is understandable I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

podge018 wrote: »
    decent result for Rovers, when's the return leg?

Next season's Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Win the Champions League? They wouldn't win the League of Ireland urp urp urp...

^^

At least 50 old men on a barstool in pubs across the county have said that by now. At least. I have no basis for this claim.

Enjoyable enough. Feel sorry for Shamrock but they didn't let themselves down, at all.

Tallaght should host the FAI cup final, it looked immense.

And that purple Shamrock jersey is quite nice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Barry Murphy would have saved that.
    He came off at half time! Duggan was on goal.
    Ardent wrote: »
    They looked far sharper, which is understandable I guess.
    Why so? Rovers are semi pro. Real can not use that excuse!
    Real spent £80m on Ronaldo. Rovers spent £20k on Twigg.

Have to say, fair play to Rovers.
    Gutted they didn't take something from the game. :(

Either way, they did the league proud, and showed there's more quality to the LoI then we get credit for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thought Shamrock Rovers really gave it their all tonight. Baker had such a good chance late on with that bad mistake from Real.

Benzema looked a class act tonight. Drenthe seemed ok too.

I missed the first half so don't really know if Ronaldo played well or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

blue-army wrote: »
    Why so? Rovers are semi pro. Real can not use that excuse!

Rovers are midway through a season that's why. The whole point of this pre-season friendly is to help Madrid build up their match sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I think Man Utd have really missed out on Benzema lads!

Rovers are midway through a season that's why. The whole point of this pre-season friendly is to help Madrid build up their match sharpness.

The only player who looked sharp for me from a Real Madrid point of view was Benzema. But tbh I didn't see the first half so I'm not sure how well the other lads played.

whycliff wrote: »
    I think Man Utd have really missed out on Benzema lads!

Yep. The fact that he just signed for Real Madrid backs this statement up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Ah yeah, but using the fitness 'excuse' for the result is a bit harsh, considering Rovers are semi pro! Especially since it's their 2nd game in 3 days.
    In my opinion it was more of a case of Rovers playing well, than Madrid not being match sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Went to school with the rovers keeper who came on in 2nd half,had not seen him in years,no idea he was a professional keeper,he used to be such a litle fancy dan who couldn't take a tackle when he was younger!

Fair play to him!

currythis wrote: »
    Went to school with the rovers keeper who came on in 2nd half,had not seen him in years,no idea he was a professional keeper,he used to be such a litle fancy dan who couldn't take a tackle when he was younger!

Fair play to him!

His awareness and reflexes were top notch. Pity he conceded the goal but that wasn't his fault really. Made a great save against Benzema at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cant say I am an avid LOI follower, not even close but I have to say I was well impressed with Rovers tonight, their work ethic was outstanding and they played some nice stuff at times. Such a pity that one long punt over the top heaped defeat on them.

Fair play.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Cant say I am an avid LOI follower, not even close but I have to say I was well impressed with Rovers tonight, their work ethic was outstanding and they played some nice stuff at times. Such a pity that one long punt over the top heaped defeat on them.

Fair play.

Aye. Hopefully another good performance from Bohs on Wednesday will follow this effort from Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gutted!

Had Gary Twigg first goalscorer @ 12's! If he had started I woulda defo won that!

Good match anyways, fair play to Rovers

The introduction from Sky was fairly cringeworthy....

Dave! wrote: »
    Gutted!

Had Gary Twigg first goalscorer @ 12's! If he had started I woulda defo won that!

I've got my Delorian waiting out back if you wanna go and see how it would've turned out. :)

Glad I didn't see the intro. I heard it was bad from some of my mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Congrats to Shamrock Rovers, they played well in all departments and continued with 2 up front. A great display, no 'backs to the wall' defending and a credit to the league. The pitch looked good and the organisers looked as if they were in control. I wouldn't be surprised if this event attracted regular pre-season visitors from the top sides in Europe. Well done

oldyouth wrote: »
    Congrats to Shamrock Rovers, they played well in all departments and continued with 2 up front. A great display, no 'backs to the wall' defending and a credit to the league. The pitch looked good and the organisers looked as if they were in control. I wouldn't be surprised if this event attracted regular pre-season visitors from the top sides in Europe. Well done

Yeah but at a lower ticket price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah but at a lower ticket price.
    When the 2nd stand goes in, they will have more season ticket holders next year. Give a good price to those and take the barstoolers for what they are willing to pay, I say

• Advertisement

When the 2nd stand goes in, they will have more season ticket holders next year. Give a good price to those and take the barstoolers for what they are willing to pay, I say

Yes indeed. I would've gone tonight but the price of the ticket really deterred me from going. I wish I had to be honest. Shamrock Rovers really did themselves and the LOI proud tonight.

I'll think differently about the LOI next time before completely slating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought Rovers played very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Or play in the RDS/Croker as P1 planned originally?

Dont think rovers done as well as people make out, they played below their standard game just didnt create as much as usual. In fairness im sure a lot of rovers fan could see more fault in that performance and feel they could have won or drawn the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Well done, we gave them a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Get off the stage.

We boo our own team at Croke Park.

...and booed players who play/played for Rangers.:rolleyes:

Aidric wrote: »
    I've heard better atmospheres at a bowls game. This match needs a goal.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    no such thing as a friendly.

Pppppffffff it's a meaningless friendly and all the usual singing section seems to be scattered around the place, at least there was no Olé Olé Olé or Man Utd songs sang.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Yes indeed. I would've gone tonight but the price of the ticket really deterred me from going. I wish I had to be honest. Shamrock Rovers really did themselves and the LOI proud tonight.

I'll think differently about the LOI next time before completely slating it.

Any hopefully not only you will, but the rest of Ireland, even that goon from the Tallaght Man Utd Supporters Club who's been in all the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I really do hope this attracts more teams to play preseason friendlies here it would really help so many teams finances and highlight homegrown talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm sure any good will towards the LOI will be shortlived once the regulars here start back with their usual sh*te about 'real fans', etc.

I really do hope this attracts more teams to play preseason friendlies here it would really help so many teams finances and highlight homegrown talent.

Couldn't see many on this scale tbh, but the likes of Leeds do great wonders for Shels, the profit last year paid for 3 weeks wages last season and then the friendly this year will pay for 2 weeks. Only thing is none of the 2,000- 2,500 Leeds fans come back for LoI matches, and I can probably predict the same for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ya i know same story in Galway after sunderland played us. Still it's welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm sure any good will towards the LOI will be shortlived once the regulars here start back with their usual sh*te about 'real fans', etc.

Bohs (top of the table) play Rovers (2nd in the table) this sunday (2 points in it).

Bohs have a CL match in between, im sure the "real fans" ****e will wait till after then and we back to barely 2000 at a match and left wondering where did all those people go :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lets not turn this into another LOI vs the world argument, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

3740837382_55aa97caff.jpg

3740040953_5d6cc5b568.jpg

3740844264_9729a90a74.jpg

More Here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

89117094.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193334E6B5204AF254C4E7DEF5B3E4936AB284831B75F48EF45

:pac::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Gutted!

The news reports on Sky News earlier today were worse. Giving it the old "look at the silly paddies playing Real Madrid, aren't they great for doing that". It was the same thing when they were reporting on the Irish cricket team in the World cup a couple of years ago.

Nice result for Shams. I think everyone was expecting a walkover for Real but they did well.

Ronaldo was dissappointing given all the hype about him in the build up. But that usually happens with a lot of hype.

Or Enda Brady using the phrase Galacticos -v- Minnows, like give it a rest, as much as I had to say it they're the most successful team in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

That Enda Brady guy is a complete twat. Used to be on foot.ie but can't remember what his username was. Just used the Ireland section and seemed completely anti-LOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Fair play to Rovers.
    Held their own.

I'm not so sure Baker did them any favours though, odd coloured boots, the only player he dazzled was himself.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Had Gary Twigg first goalscorer @ 12's! If he had started I woulda defo won that!..

If he was on the end of the chances instead of Baker you most likely would have too.

I'm not so sure Baker did them any favours though, odd coloured boots, the only player he dazzled was himself.:pac:

Really wasnt the game for flashy boots. If you pull that sort of stuff you damn well better be the best player on the park. Missing good chances and falling over the ball doesnt really cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

That Enda Brady guy is a complete twat. Used to be on foot.ie but can't remember what his username was. Just used the Ireland section and seemed completely anti-LOI.

He got banned in the end :D Was weird seeing him on the telly and then him online where he was a very aggresive poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Well done to Rovers. Good display, and great to see the home team in one of these get the support for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Great night.

Apart from a few cornball suspects (sombrero guy anybody?), there was very little obvious Madrid support to my eyes, especially compared to the amount of "Geordies" at the Newcastle match. Place seemed nicely full with hoops (and brilliantly: a lot of kids) and it was great to see the ground with three sides and a bit full. We were able to generate some noise in the main stand despite being dispersed.

The one good thing I will say about P1 was the overall efficiency, but the less said about the P.A and the slavishly Real Madrid-centric programmes the better.

The Dessie miss sums him up. Too interested by what's going on in the crowd rather than what's in front of his feet, but that's by the by, I guess.

Socky dinking it past two defenders and nearly ginging one in at the far post was worth the 60 quid alone. :D

Good to see Madrid play in the flesh too. Some of the football was otherworldly, especially in the first half. It was like watching a film that was doctored so that one side were sped up.

JokerD wrote: »
    Anyway the boos have clamed now, I'd say it was just an initial reaction.

No such thing as a friendly. When the teams are out, you want to win. I booed the entire Madrid side when they were announced for just that reason. I'm sure they're used to far worse and even understand the ways of oppo fans.

That said, I - and many others around me - applauded individual acts of Madrid skill on more than one occasion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On the BBC;
    Ronaldo taunted on debut for Real
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Man Utd boss Ferguson says Ronaldo will be a "massive loss"

Real Madrid's record £80m signing Cristiano Ronaldo was constantly booed by some fans on his debut as the Spanish side beat Shamrock Rovers 1-0.

The winger left Manchester United to join Real this summer but had a bow to forget as he came off at half-time.

Ronaldo also suffered taunts of "who are ya?" when he sent a free-kick wide before Karim Benzema's late winner.

Meanwhile, Ronaldo's former boss at Old Trafford Alex Ferguson has not ruled out the player returning to the club.

The 24-year-old Portuguese international spent six seasons at United before switching to the Bernabeu.

"He may come back, you never know," said Ferguson. "Sometimes it happens that way.

606: DEBATE
    What did you make of Ronaldo's debut for Real?

"He loved United. If you look back at the six years he had with us, he never missed training.

"That's one of the things he has above all other players - he was never injured, he always played.

"And his best is yet to come. He is only 24."

Ronaldo has prospered under Ferguson's guardianship at United and was named Fifa World Player of the Year in 2008.

Brazilian forward Kaka, who has also been signed for £56m by Real Madrid, won that award in 2007, with Barcelona star Lionel Messi expected to win the 2009 gong.

There may be plenty of debate of which of the trio is the best player in the world but Ferguson has little doubt.

"Cristiano is a massive loss," conceded Ferguson, of a player who has scored 118 goals for United in 292 appearances.

"I have nothing but praise for the boy. He is easily the best player in the world.

"He is better than Kaka and better than Messi. He is streets ahead of them all.

"His contribution as a goal threat is unbelievable. His stats are incredible.

"Strikes at goal, attempts on goal, raids into the penalty box, headers. It is all there. Absolutely astounding."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8160636.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Or Enda Brady using the phrase Galacticos -v- Minnows, like give it a rest, as much as I had to say it they're the most successful team in Ireland.

pfft, theyre just lucky they didnt get Villareal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8158802.stm

;)

Sully wrote: »

Fergie talking ****e as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

dfx- wrote: »
    89117094.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193334E6B5204AF254C4E7DEF5B3E4936AB284831B75F48EF45

:pac::cool:

I got the same shot from a different angle, a split second before i think.
    The epitome of Ronaldo...

3741184298_7375627658_b.jpg

I'm not a fan of Roanldo but.......
    In both pictures the ball is standing in front of Ronaldo with the challlenging player sliding by......:pac:
    What player wouldn't go down.
    I think he was very professional last night.

And what was with all the boos.....?:confused:
    Do we not want teams of this calibre returning to bring in money and exciting games to our (****ty) football nation.:pac:

And what was with all the boos.....?:confused:

Disgraceful.

And what was the story with all those inebriated louts standing up and singing?

They may call it "support" and "passion" but it's just not on.

stovelid wrote: »
    Disgraceful.

And what was the story with all those inebriated louts standing up and singing?

They may call it "support" and "passion" but it's just not on.
    All the boos were most likely coming from Utd fans still sore over the move.:)
    I suppose your right, it was Tallaght afterall.

All the boos were most likely coming from Utd fans still sore over the move.:)

Nope.

The majority of the booing was from the main stand from what I could hear. Funnily enough, if it was a friendly against Rangers or England, people would be busting a gut to boo on equally specious grounds.

It's live football. People boo. Get over it. Those lads have a season ahead that involves El Clásico and European football. I doubt they even hear 3k people booing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement