Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it bother you if your fella cries?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I wouldn't care? I don't understand why anyone would care o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tinyfox

I have yet to speak to a girl who really cares unless of couse their bf is a total whingebag but generally most woman i know think it sweet and i personally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

anyguy that atches the notebook with their oh always gets some after! it's like a rule.

I don't think I've cried apart from the time I was in the room with my grandfather when he died of cancer, but movies never make me cry, I always wonder why people cry at movies since it's all scripted

just pulls at the heartstrings i guess, went to see "love story"last century with the then boyfriend, i cried for Ireland. Any sad/happy movies always gets me ballin.have to say i love it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

My girlfriend saw me cry before we were together, so she musn't have massive issue with it.

We had just gotten back from the Sunrise festival last year. We had spent a day traveling to arrive at a flooded campsite and were not allowed in. After much searching and the real danger of being stranded in the middle of Somerset we found a nice old couple who let us put our tent up on their land, the next day we got into the site only to be hit by the biggest storm in the area's history. The festival was cancled and we were ousted, it took a solid day a half of traveling to get home, 2 taxis, 3 buses, 4 trains and a Ferry in total.

I got home and i was so ****ing tired, my body was aching and sore, i hit the couch and stuck on Jungle Book and i won't deny i was so tired that i shed a tear when i thought that bear was dead. Just one of those weird "I'm so ****ing tired right now" things.

So there you go Raze, that's why people cry at movies....maybe?

Crying itself is a weird one....i didn't cry when a friend was shot...i didn't cry when a friend was stabbed....yet i cried once over a memory from my childhood.

Emotions....complex things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I dont think Ive ever cried when watching a movie (in my adult life) but The Neverending Story got to me as a young fella.

I generally find romance movies to be so cliched that I sit there thinking "that would never happen in real life" so any emotion in the movie goes over my head.

One movie that always brings a lump to my throat is Once Were Warriors.Despite multiple viewings (20+) there is one part that always makes me sad.Anyone thats seen it will know what I mean,if you havnt seen it,check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

nedtheshed wrote: »
    One movie that always brings a lump to my throat is Once Were Warriors.Despite multiple viewings (20+) there is one part that always makes me sad.Anyone thats seen it will know what I mean,if you havnt seen it,check it out.

Have you read the book?

______

I don't think I have ever cried at a movie.

Music has gotten me once or twice.
    Nina Simone - Loves you Porgy, got me one night. Could have been my state of mind too.

The second verse of Free The People sung by Luke Kelly, hammers me.
    I can't sing it.

Is`nt the world really fkucked up !!!! i mean , such a huge emphasis on men crying. What are we expecting men to be ???? robots ??. Have we not evolved enough yet so a man can show enough emotional feelings to cry his heart out if the need is there ???? when we cry we are reacting to a situation, i have cried through sadness and when happy, i have laughed till i have cried . Are we going to continue to think less of our men if they want to share in what i would call a wonderful gift , the freedom to cry ??? I for one will never think less of a man who cries ....ever !!:)

With respect. If I cried as much as my missus does, I would deserve a kick in the arsewicz.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    With respect. If I cried as much as my missus does, I would deserve a kick in the arsewicz.

Why ???

valery wrote: »
    Why ???

Because she cries at Greys Anatomy.
    Thats why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Thats why.

Thank you! Thats the kind of stuff Im talking about, snivelling over sentimental claptrap!!!

Recreational crying!

There is enough unneccessary crying in the world without men joining in too!!!

Thats why.

Oh Im givin up on this feckin campaign !!!!!!! :mad:,
    Greys Anatomy ???? LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

It was my Dad's 50th recently and I made a room of sixty people (including the men) cry (speech), sure they were all hammered.

I saw my boyfriend crying recently too over something personal, but I'm glad he trusts me enough to release like that in front of me, even though it absolutely broke my heart to see him so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Thats why.

Hey hey now . . . sometimes TV shows hit a little close to home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd use the book or film "Marley & Me" as a good gauge of whether I'd get along with someone (male or female) or not.

If they don't cry at the end (which reduced me to a blubbering idiot, both book & film) then there is no hope for us to see eye to eye. Ever.

I saw this 2 or 3 days ago and I SOBBED! Can I be your friend now? :) My OH was a bit teary but I was a goner. If you've had to put an old pet down it makes it so much harder.

I've seen my bf and dad cry properly once each. I agree that it is so so so much harder than seeing your mum or another female friend or relative cry. I don't think threre is anything wrong with a man crying but I would be worried if my OH was crying regularly .
    I think it's a strange one when it comes to your dad.
    The family pet had to be put to sleep recently after 13 years. He was a huge part of the family for so long and everyone was upset. (anyone who has had this happen will understand, lots of people don't because they think it's only a pet, but they totally miss the point).
    I was probably the closest to the dog and was fairly upset but tried not thinking about it. I got home from work and my mam and sisters were in bits crying. Hugs all round and I was still fairly ok.
    My dad came in later that evening from work and the minute I saw him crying it was wham! Was twice as strange because it was the first time I'd seen him cry - oddly enough I didn't see him cry when his brother and father died. (though probably did, just not in front of his children)

Agree - the time I saw my dad die was when our cat had to be put down. He was almost 16 and had a great life but my Dad was the one that had to bring him down to the vet. He cried putting him in his cat basket because the cat trusted him completely and he said he felt like a murderer bringing him down to the vet, even though it was for the best. He was very ill and old. Seeing my dad cry about it just set me off. I thought I was cried out at that stage.

Welling up now thinking about it.

I worked with a girl at the time that kept saying how funny it was that I was so upset. She kept laughing and then apologising but saying how funny it was that it was just a cat but we were upset over losing him. I explained that if you had a pet that was there the whole time we were growing up you'd understand but she kept laughing about it and said it was hilarious. It was horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

watna wrote: »
    I worked with a girl at the time that kept saying how funny it was that I was so upset. She kept laughing and then apologising but saying how funny it was that it was just a cat but we were upset over losing him. I explained that if you had a pet that was there the whole time we were growing up you'd understand but she kept laughing about it and said it was hilarious. It was horrible :(

Just a cat?

I lost a German Shepard when I was sixteen. He was 13 and I didn't remember a time without him. It completely tore me up, and I still get teary thinking about him.

My mum (not an animal lover) thought I had some sort of personality defect because I was so attached ''to a mutt''. She'd make 'jokes' about him dying to 'toughen' me up.

Some people just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't see what's wrong with a guy crying.
    I've seen my brother cry when he's really hurt himself.
    Not seen my dad cry but seen him very upset and I hated that.

I've seen two boyfriends cry, one when he was breaking up with me (probably because I was sobbing, though I cheered him up by saying he shouldn't cry, that I was crying and snotting enough for both of us lol). The second was while we were going out, had a bit of a row type thing and were patching it up, both of us were upset and worried about losing the other. I found it quite sweet tbh, I liked that I could comfort him. If he was ever stressed or whatever I would like that he could come to me.
    I really wouldn't see any issue with a guy crying, happens all of us, we're just human.

The men in my family, have always been open about their emotions.
    I can't understand how there is honour in supressing your human response, when terrible things like deaths happen.
    This attitude would really turn me off someone.

The only scenario I can imagine whereby I would lose respect for a crier, is when someone uses their tears as a weapon to control you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My OH does cry, he hadnt cried for many years before i met him and the first time he cried was when he thought he was going to lose me. I dont mind him crying at all, i like that he shows emotion, he is a real person with real feelings and i love him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You left one out! I bawled my eyes out when my dog got hit by a car a little over a year ago... The vet wanted to put him down and he was lying on the path not knowing what was going on, (he's a big dog), and the vet reckoned he was fu*ked.

As it happened, he made a great recovery and is grand now, but for that evening, I was bawling non-stop, getting him up to the vets for surgery and then seeing him up there struggling to breath (he pierced a lung), did me the power of good but I remember people looking at me, I think they were getting upset because I was upset, seeing a grown man cry over his dog... I think it's allowed!

Totally acceptable!
    tman wrote: »
    I shed a couple of manly tears while watching Marley and me, think that was the first time I'd ever cried in front of someone for over a decade... It didn't seem to bother the GF, and tbh the thought never even crossed my mind that it would. Can't believe there are women out there that have a problem with something like that!

That film hurt my heart - "Remember how we were always saying what a pain you are and that you're the world's worst dog? Don't believe it, don't believe it even for a minute".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yep he's cried a few times since I've been with him but he's not much of a crier. Marley & Me got to him big time but the other two times were similar to She Devil, when he thought he was going to lose me. Otherwise he wouldn't cry much but I have no problem with a man that does. If he never cried I'd be a lot more concerned. Real men do cry, we all have emotions, it's only natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lexsis35

My OH has no problem crying, I walked into the sitting room one day(2 weeks ago) and he was carrying our baby and crying, i asked him why he was crying and he said he had never felt love like the love he feels for our son, I fell deeper in love with him - he works away a lot so when he comes home and has to leave a few days after, it really rips him up. I have no problem with a man crying, it takes a real man to be able to acknowledge the emotion to cry. it's a lovely trait in a man to be able to show that level of emotion.

lexsis35 wrote: »
    My OH has no problem crying, I walked into the sitting room one day(2 weeks ago) and he was carrying our baby and crying, i asked him why he was crying and he said he had never felt love like the love he feels for our son, I fell deeper in love with him - he works away a lot so when he comes home and has to leave a few days after, it really rips him up. I have no problem with a man crying, it takes a real man to be able to acknowledge the emotion to cry. it's a lovely trait in a man to be able to show that level of emotion.

Sounds like you have a beautiful guy there, good luck to the three of you :).
    PS, love to see a guy cradle his child. Makes me go all .....you know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i've only seen the fellas i've been with cry out of sickness, breakups or if i was upset. all of which are understandable, particularly the last one because it shows how much someone cares for you.

Advertisement