Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question reg Landlord/Gas Boiler

Options
  • 20-07-2009 1:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Can someone point me in the direction if finding specific irish laws with regards to how often gas Boilers should be safety checked by owners/landlords?

I have just moved into a new house and the boiler in here is 16 years old, making an absolute racket and I can see no safety check information for anytime other than the install date.

I know in the Uk landlords must have these checks done on a yearly basis and provide tenants with the certificates.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm open to correction on this but as far as i'm aware there is no law that requires boilers to be serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I'd recomend a quick call to threshhold. Freephone number on theri homepage. The recpmmendation is that a boiler is serviced anually. It is not inexpensive but would fall under the landlords maintenance remit. The only legal obligation I am aware of is that a gas boiler has to be serviced within one year if a house is to be sold but I know that doesn't help much. I wouls also suggest that if the lanlord is unwilling to do anything about getting it serviced suggest that you sort it and then deduct from next months rent and provide him with the receipt to claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If it is making a racket then there is a breach of you entitlement to quiet enjoyment. Complain to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ddad wrote: »
    I'd recomend a quick call to threshhold. Freephone number on theri homepage. The recpmmendation is that a boiler is serviced anually. .

recommendation and law are two different things. The OP asked about specific laws.
    It is not inexpensive but would fall under the landlords maintenance remit. .

I would consider it inexpensive.

I wouls also suggest that if the lanlord is unwilling to do anything about getting it serviced suggest that you sort it and then deduct from next months rent and provide him with the receipt to claim.

Why would you suggest this ? Do you not realise this is the most stupid thing you can do. All you do is weaken your position in the case of a tennancy dispute.

Pay your bills, find out the legal position regarding the servicing of said boiler and act accordingly. If its not a legal obligation and the landlord wont compramise see out your lease and move.

D3PO wrote: »
    recommendation and law are two different things. The OP asked about specific laws.

Trying to be helpful, you should try it sometime.

I would consider it inexpensive.

€120 notes is expensive, to service something that costs circa €1k

Why would you suggest this ? Do you not realise this is the most stupid thing you can do. All you do is weaken your position in the case of a tennancy dispute.

Read my post "suggest to the landlord" not tell "suggest"

Pay your bills, find out the legal position regarding the servicing of said boiler and act accordingly. If its not a legal obligation and the landlord wont compramise see out your lease and move.

So, should the op service it himself, wait on the landlord.....what? A dodgy boiler can cost a fortune, be dangerous and in the ops case noisy.

You might want to think about contributing to a thread rather than ripping other posts.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the op shuld wait on the landlord. Unfortunatly there is no legal obligation.

of course dialogue with the landlord should hopefully help resolve the situation, but witholding rent certainly isnt going to help the OP

D3PO wrote: »
    the op shuld wait on the landlord. Unfortunatly there is no legal obligation.

of course dialogue with the landlord should hopefully help resolve the situation, but witholding rent certainly isnt going to help the OP

Like I said in the previous post I wasn't suggesting he withold rent; I suggested he sort it and then deduct the ammount from next months rent with the landlords consent, hence I said "suggest" rather than "tell". Apologies for not being explicit enough.

Deep sigh...bang head against wall.......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to Bord Gáis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

DA365 wrote: »
    I have just moved into a new house and the boiler in here is 16 years old, making an absolute racket and I can see no safety check information for anytime other than the install date.

Be very careful in scheduling a service yourself. I just had a new boiler installed and the plumber was telling me about the new laws that have come into force in Ireland. Anyone who services a boiler has to be a "RGI" - Registered Gas Installer - and new laws have recently come into force.

If they service a boiler they cannot overlook any faults - they have to issue a "hazard Notification" to you so it isn't a huge leap of logic to see that they will condemn a boiler if it is really bad. You could end up with no heating at all.

He said an example given to them during the course was a plumber at a BBQ (a social event, not business) and he notices, for example, your gas stove is faulty and he says in passing " I'll come back in a few days and look at that" and then forgets and there is an accident with the stove he becomes legally liable.

Just get onto the landlord repeatedly, use texts or emails NOT phone calls as you can't prove what was spoken about in a phone conversation.Save every one, better still text or cc it to yourself. If the landlord keeps repeatedly ignoring you go to the PRTB( a boiler could be considered dangerous if unserviced so say a month or 2 before you complain. Also you can argue that you will need it for the cold months - Sept onwards).

Regardless of any advice you get on here DO NOT under any circumstance hold back rent as a way of forcing the landord to get work done - it immediately weakens your case with the PRTB. I've never talked to someone who got repairs on a house and then presented the bills to the landlord without first agreeing with the landlord that the repairs were to be carried out but I'd imagine that if you did and withheld rent as payment without a prior agreement the PRTB wouldn't like that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Buy a carbonmonoxide detecter and if it shows positive you have a cast iron case to condem the boiler, thats if the CO doesn't get you first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

http://www.prtb.ie/Landlord_Tenant/English%20Landlord.pdf

What standards must your accommodation meet?

By law, rented property must be of a minimum standard. If the property does not comply with these standards, then you, as landlord, could
    be prosecuted. Local authorities are responsible for enforcing these
    standards and carry out regular inspections of rented accommodation.
    Some examples of minimum standards:
    • The building must be free from damp and in good structural repair.
    • Hot and cold water available to the tenant.
    • Adequate heating and ventilation of the building.
    • All appliances provided in good working order.
    • Electrical wiring, gas and water pipes all should be in good repair.

Further details of what standards you need to comply with when
    renting accommodation, are available on the PRTB website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogdozer

Hi,
    Thanks for that. I'm not from the media or trying to promote my business, but I know I have a lot of useful information for some of your enquiries.
    Bogdozer

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogdozer

There is no specific requirement in law to have the boiler in a rented property serviced annually. However, it is the landlord's obligation to keep all electrical and gas fittings in good serviceable order. Bord Gais specifically recommends an annual service for a gas appliance, so there you have it. It is difficult to argue against the major player in the business. Check the Bord Gais site and quote verbatim to your landlord.

Advertisement