Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with a scratched 50mm lens

• 20-07-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought some old photography gear recently. This includes a 50mm 1.8 Nikon lens, that contains alot of scratches on both the front and rear glass. It still works, but when I compare it to my 50mm AF 1.4 lens, its not nearly as sharp and hasn't as much contrast.

Yet I can't see myself using it and I'd hate to put it in the bin - would there be any point in putting it on Adverts/Ebay for lets say €15?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How bad are we talking? can you psot some pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You could put it on Adverts, or you could always play around with scratching the lens more and having a soft focus lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

You can get away with scratches - depending on their size etc.. Put it up for sale on adverts. Be clear that it has scratches. Post an image of it with scratches visible if possible, and post a separate image taken with the scratched lens showing the actual output so that people can pixel peep if they want.

I'd say let it go for sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The scratches on the front element are not as much of an issue as those on the rear one. There will be some image degradation, but maybe not as much as you would imagine as they are not on the focus.

Stolen Borrowed from another forum, scratches are a bit more serious than dust but the point is the same.

In any event it's highly unlikely that dust on a lens element would be visible in the final picture. There's an old anecdote about an astronomer asking an optical scientist to make him a new telescope. Seeing little bubbles in the glass, the stargazer was concerned that it would affect the quality of his view. Optical bloke said not to worry... On using his new telescope, the astronomer was amazed at the quality and finally agreed that the bubbles in the glass had no effect. "Oh", says the optical bloke, "so you didn't notice the dozen postage stamps I stuck on the lens then?"...

It will be a good spare for someone at €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Thanks for the informative reply's - I gotta say I was surprised by the lens. When I looked at it first I thought the scratches were very bad, but having taken a few shots and compared to my other 50mm lens I was surprised the end results weren't that bad.

Anyway Ill upload it to adverts.ie this evening and see if anyone wants it. Btw I forgot to mention that its a manual focus lens, Series E type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

trican wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought some old photography gear recently. This includes a 50mm 1.8 Nikon lens, that contains alot of scratches on both the front and rear glass. It still works, but when I compare it to my 50mm AF 1.4 lens, its not nearly as sharp and hasn't as much contrast.

That could also be because it's a series E. The series E nikons were their low budget consumer lenses of the day. Build quality wasn't as good, and QA allegedly wasn't as stringent as the Nikkors. Also, some of the 50mm E lenses weren't multi-coated which might account for it a bit again.

Took a couple of pictures with the lens:

firstly this is the scratching:

front:
    4690F65E7BE74C54A956A5FB4C1B2BB0-800.jpg

back:
    46E1C65DD6984B29993B03D008B881A2-800.jpg

back close up:
    9EFD1A9399624557BFD152F221A0A895.jpg

Picture with new 50mm 1.4 AF lens

97997C0F07B246A9AD022392CAE9CDBF-800.jpg

Same picture with the scratched lens
    638841414EC34F41B7C15F62AF540993-800.jpg

Both sample photos were taken at f/5.6 using a shutter speed of 1/6sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personally i would consider myself to have a lens to experiment with, and i'd abuse the **** out of it in various ways to see what affect any of them would have...if any.

I've been thinking it mightn't be a bad lens for nights out - hell it can't get anymore scratched!

Taking up a point Daire made - I'm not sure the difference between the two pictures can be explained just from the scratches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

trican wrote: »
    I've been thinking it mightn't be a bad lens for nights out - hell it can't get anymore scratched!

Taking up a point Daire made - I'm not sure the difference between the two pictures can be explained just from the scratches?

haha, I dunno, I wouldn't have said so before I saw the sheer scratchedness of it :D Thats one messed up rear element !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

haha, I dunno, I wouldn't have said so before I saw the sheer scratchedness of it :D Thats one messed up rear element !

Looks like someone took a brillo pad to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SaturnV

Why not try a reversing ring, and mount it backwards on a longer lens. I once mounted an old olympus 50 onto a nikon 300, and got the most ridiculous close focusing macro lens! Too excessive to be actually useful (it was like a microscope!), but easy and fun nonetheless. It works quite well with a more sensible focal length, like an 85mm or so. I don't know how the scratches would effect this.

You can make a reversing ring by gluing two cokin adaptor rings back to back. Costs a couple of quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd be more worried about all the short dated film you're sitting on. ;):D

SaturnV wrote: »
    Why not try a reversing ring, and mount it backwards on a longer lens.

Thats a pretty cool idea! I already have one cokin A adaptor ring.

I'd be more worried about all the short dated film you're sitting on.
    lol - not to worry, its the freebie Unicare film. Have sacrificed a couple of these rolls already practicing how to load a development tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

look what this lens took

PlanarwithbugDresden.jpg

The said lens - a cracked zeiss planer

Planarwithbug.jpg

The link http://www.certo6.com/gallery/planar.html

Op try over expose with the dud 50. It looks underexposed to me. Could work nice if you over expose by maybe 2 stops

Or look at this one

2681005094_32f43f3b2c.jpg

and a photo

2786995771_1d87105cb5.jpg

and the link http://forum.mflenses.com/for-scratch-free-lens-lovers-t10359.html

that results there could be to do with the sharpness of the minolta mc rokkors. They were superb lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Does look kind of bad, taking both shots at the same shutter speed would make the f1.8 shot look darker

The shot does lack contrast but does look sharp and balanced

Advertisement