Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is having a second account a site-bannable offence?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Usually both accounts get punished, the duplicate account will be permabanned and the original will have a form of punishment applied also, be it permanent or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Healing Dream

seamus wrote: »
    99 times out of 100, when some idiot gets banned and re-regs, they go back and do exactly what got them banned in the first place.

We (mods nor admins) don't scan the userbase for possible matches. Someone comes to our attention as a bit of a spa, or otherwise raises alarm bells as being all-too-similar to a previous 'tard, so we check them.

Idiots and spa's

A few thoughts. Have you thought about not creating Trolls? Have you considered that not everyone is as net smartie as you? Not everyone reads the stickies? Not everyone reads the charters? (You could use pop ups to make sure they do btw)

Are you creating trolls?

I run four forum based sites and after being besieged by trolls we found civil behaviour and dignity, by moderators, was highly productive. We treated people like people and most importantly we introduced 3 Day site bans. Time enough for people to reflect on why they were banned and short enough for them to sit it out.

We worked off car clamping :)

We also have the Troll Catcher or 100 steps to Hell program installed, still in beta :)

Follows an IP for the first 100 clicks and you can take it from there.

It is a bit like hiring a hacker to up your security :)

Be nicer. Be more informative, Help your users.

:)

I run four forum based sites and after being besieged by trolls we found civil behaviour and dignity, by moderators, was highly productive. We treated people like people and most importantly we introduced 3 Day site bans. Time enough for people to reflect on why they were banned and short enough for them to sit it out.
    That approach works really well for small to middle sized forums. :)

Gordon wrote: »
    That approach works really well for small to middle sized forums. :)

You think this is big?

I thing your ego got you there Gordo :)

I could not have asked for a better approval

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's the procedure for reporting a suspected re-reg?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

My hat is doffed to you :)

Gordon wrote: »
    My hat is doffed to you :)

Hand on heart I believe what I said.

Treat people nicer.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What's the procedure for reporting a suspected re-reg?

You know what it is. twat for asking IMO

Can I call him a TWAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can I call him a TWAT?

If you're talking about the report post button then read what it says when you press it. Post reported.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Can I call him a TWAT?
    Ah, trolling all along, well done again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So, say for example my wife want's to open an account, or my kids in the future, is this allowed? I'm not a computer whiz, but i imagine the accounts would show up as the same IP address. of course my wife's posting would be very different to my own late night drunken ( and harmless i hope ) banter.
    Btw, neither wife or kids are looking to open an account, just something i always wondered about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

galwayrush wrote: »
    So, say for example my wife want's to open an account, or my kids in the future, is this allowed? I'm not a computer whiz, but i imagine the accounts would show up as the same IP address. of course my wife's posting would be very different to my own late night drunken ( and harmless i hope ) banter.
    Btw, neither wife or kids are looking to open an account, just something i always wondered about.

99% of the time it's really obvious that the accounts are not the same person.

If none of the accounts sharing the IP cause any trouble, then none of them will come to the attention of any moderators so there'll be no problem.

If one account causes trouble then the other accounts might be called into question, but it's very often obvious that the accounts are belonging to two different people based on the pattern of posting, the content, the language used and so on.

Unless you have the exact same interests as your wife and/or children and "sound" the same and one of ye causes trouble you have nothing to worry about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Cheers Conor.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

However, I think it's safe to say we don't "approve" of second accounts. Why do you need one? You can subscribe and change your name. You could retire the first account completely and set up a new account wtih a new email address and start from scratch with it.

But having two active accounts on the go at once - we'd rather you didn't.

Which of course isn't an option for us mods who might want, for personal or professional reasons, to be more anonymous on a particular forum. A second account is reasonable in such a case imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

nesf wrote: »
    Which of course isn't an option for us mods who might want, for personal or professional reasons, to be more anonymous on a particular forum. A second account is reasonable in such a case imho.

...and this is one of the reasons why it's not a hard and fast, instant siteban for duplicate accounts.

If your account(s) don't come to the attention of the mods of a forum then you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Conor wrote: »
    ...and this is one of the reasons why it's not a hard and fast, instant siteban for duplicate accounts.

If your account(s) don't come to the attention of the mods of a forum then you have nothing to worry about.

Well honestly, I'd ask the mods of the forum I was going to do it in so it'd be open and honest from the start. If you're not intending on using the account to cause trouble then there's no reason to hide the second account's existence from the mods where it'll be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Personally I don't see the problem, I've used duplicate accounts many times.
    Lets face it's only an issue if people are acting the mickey I just don't see the big deal.
    After all lets not get ahead of ourselves here, its just an internet forum :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

DeVore wrote: »
    If you dont have a good reason for the second account most likely one of them will get zapped.

DeV.

That's a curtailment of free speech right there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

nesf wrote: »

It's either anyone can open a second account or no-one can. I'd rather the former, but to be honest, and no disrespect to mods, I don't see why there should be one rule for one group, and a different one for the rest.

Advertisement