Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitor Calibration €10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

lol that's bad,the members ofTalkphotography.co.uk are letting people use them for free,However there is a big waiting list but it only costs the p&p for you to post it to the next person :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was only thinking of this yesterday, surely there are some stores that offer this service? It would be rediculous not to imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Ricky91t wrote: »
    lol that's bad,the members ofTalkphotography.co.uk are letting people use them for free,However there is a big waiting list bu it only costs the p&p for you to post it to the next person :)

So it's NOT bad then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If you've waited this long you can surely wait abit longer,€10 a night is crazy,If you work post arives during the day,you get in,in the evening forget to do it,Then you've added another €10 to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i am not certian but i would think that its breaking the software license agreement

also if you had someone come to do it for you, its about 20 mins to 30 mins work for someone, so you would pay more than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sorry but why would you pay someone to calibrate your monitor? It's pretty easy to do yourself!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

steve06 wrote: »
    sorry but why would you pay someone to calibrate your monitor? It's pretty easy to do yourself!

if you have a spyder... yes it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Meetings for the MPC are finished until September

i agree, i know some people who would pay for it, i keep getting asked for it

actually more though is i keep getting asked for printer calibration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Tallon wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm aloud post this as technically its offering a service.

just found this guy on Midlands Photo Club.

Don't know any details so you'll have to contact him yourself

http://midlandsphotography.aforumfree.com/club-stuff-f1/professional-monitor-calibration-for-hire-t44.htm

I might get him to calibrate a couple of mine, thanks for the HU.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Actually, on foot of the photobox thread running at the moment I just sent off to photobox.ie this morning for a print calibration card. Just email them with your name / address to info@photobox.ie requesting one and they'll send you a card (no cost). Obviously this is only useful if you are getting your prints done with them, but you might as well have one if you use them from time to time.

I haven't calibrated my screen *ever* (which might explain a lot) but stcstc's post got me wondering - does the screen calibration tools not prepare your hardware setup for printing or simply that you view the image properly as was taken on camera - in which case, then is it the case that printer callibration is going to be far more important overall.

The photobox one is simply a visual check so nothing overly scientific there but i'd imagine it would be close enough for day to day purposes. Also, I'm guessing that every mini lab or printer worth their salt should be able to give you something similar for their setup.

So has anyone any experiences with visual calibration of printer profiles? Do they get you there - close enough for personal purposes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

AnCatDubh wrote: »

So has anyone any experiences with visual calibration of printer profiles? Do they get you there - close enough for personal purposes?

after screen is calibrated, pick up a printer profile for printer/paper and your flying... dunno bout needed to calibrate as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have Spyder that likes some work. But I won't be able to charge anybody.

in theory you can use manufacturers profiles as discussed

the big mistake people make is that screen and printer calibration is about calibrating them to be the same

ITS NOT

its about calibrating them to an international colour standard

and hopefully it means they will be a close match

I calibrate my monitors every 2 weeks or so, which is a little bit more than needed, generally you need to do an lcd monitor every 4 weeks or so

the problem with quite a few of the calibration systems is they ask you to set the brightness by eye

which means any two people who calibrate the same monitor will more than likely be slightly different

and brightness is the main problem that people have problems with when printing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just to clear up the original post. That member of the MPC bought a calibrator, and was making it available to other members of the Club (at a cost). He's not trying to post it to random people around the country.

However, the Club has since bought its own calibrator, and makes it available to club members for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

stcstc wrote: »
    in theory you can use manufacturers profiles as discussed

the big mistake people make is that screen and printer calibration is about calibrating them to be the same

ITS NOT

its about calibrating them to an international colour standard

and hopefully it means they will be a close match

I calibrate my monitors every 2 weeks or so, which is a little bit more than needed, generally you need to do an lcd monitor every 4 weeks or so

the problem with quite a few of the calibration systems is they ask you to set the brightness by eye

which means any two people who calibrate the same monitor will more than likely be slightly different

and brightness is the main problem that people have problems with when printing
    I thought when it comes to LCD's you're supposed to set the brightness to 100%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

stcstc wrote: »
    generally you need to do an lcd monitor every 4 weeks or so

I've never calibrated any of my monitors over the years:o

most LCD screens are waaaaaaay to bright so no your not ment to have it set to 100

most calibration software asks you to set it as low as you can and still see the graphics on screen

Advertisement