Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 sim not working with an unlocked LG Shine?

• 20-07-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi all,

Little brother just switched to 3 best of both and managed to smash the screen on his new phone, it was going to cost €50 to have it repaired so instead he bought an LG Shine KE970 for €40 on ebay. And now the problem:

The LG is unlocked but when you insert his 3 sim it just hangs at the start screen, it won't even turn off, I have an LG too so we put his 3 sim into my unlocked phone too, same thing. We then tried my O2 sim in his phone and it worked perfectly.

So, what's with unlocked LG's & 3? Can we fix it? I presume the 3 shop will just sneer so I thought we'd try you lovely folk first!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Paulw0t

LG Shine KE970 is not a 3g phone. 3 sim's only work in 3G (as in data) phones

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_ke970_shine-1829.php has the info on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye the shine is not a 3g phone, and only the odd gsm phone will work with three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Paulw0t wrote: »
    LG Shine KE970 is not a 3g phone. 3 sim's only work in 3G (as in data) phones
    There's no reason to call a 3G phone a data phone. For example many would call a first gen iPhone a "data" phone yet it doesn't have 3G. Also, nearly every phone sold today can use data, it has nothing to do with whether it has 3G or not except it might be faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

chupi wrote: »
    he bought an LG Shine KE970 for 40 on ebay.
    3 stocked the KU970 which was the 3G version of the KE970. Both phones looked identical but they were different data speed wise

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Wow! Thanks for the speedy and informative replies, you answered every question I needed answered. Damn 3!

Cheers again,
    Chupi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Its not a question of damn 3, they do not want their sims in a non 3G phone as they only have a 3G network so a non 3G phone will never connect to their network and constantly 'roam' on vodafone which they have to pay for, thus you cost them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nigeloconnor

I have a 3 SIM... tried it in an unlocked Nokia 6230i and it didn't work.. tried the 3 SIM in a Sony Ericsson W380 and it works... and Sony Ericsson W380 is not a 3G phone.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

it's really weird, this thing with the USIM cards. One of the most basic phones available, ie the nokia 1208, WILL work with usim but most 2g handsets don't.

Advertisement