Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what cars are most likely to get stolen?

• 20-07-2009 2:05pm

flicking through the "stolen" section of another forum here and amazed at how many cars are stolen... most seem to be jap imports.

is my old bmw likely to get robbed? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yup, won't be long now ;)

damn you magnus :P of all the people on this site, your the only one who's said they've seen her lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

don't know what cars are more likely to be stolen... but a crap load of cars every year is stolen.

here's the stats from CSO on it

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/householdexpercrime.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

flicking through the "stolen" section of another forum here and amazed at how many cars are stolen... most seem to be jap imports.

is my old bmw likely to get robbed? :o

Did you just want to let us know you drive a BMW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Bluefoam wrote: »

ROFL........ :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anything without an imobilizer will be likely to get robbed, jap imports fall into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Yeah, can you not do it like the rest of us do? Hog the overtaking lane of the N7/M7 and flash everybody you deem to be traveling too slow? geez...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Anything without an imobilizer will be likely to get robbed, jap imports fall into this category.

On a slightly more serious note to all the other posts (sorry :P), is this an accurate statement? I'd be interested to know whether an immobiliser is sufficient deterrent to most thieves? Currently I'm driving a heap with nothing, but obviously isn't even attractive to be stolen and was thinking of upgrading and was curious what level of security you require on your car nowadays?

Thanks.

yes, it shall gain me some online respect since an "old bmw" sounds like such a great car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Weren't honda civics and those old saab turbos top of the stolen car list at one stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

SK1979 wrote: »
    On a slightly more serious note to all the other posts (sorry :P), is this an accurate statement? I'd be interested to know whether an immobiliser is sufficient deterrent to most thieves? Currently I'm driving a heap with nothing, but obviously isn't even attractive to be stolen and was thinking of upgrading and was curious what level of security you require on your car nowadays?

Thanks.

I know of 'heaps' that were over 15 years old and fit for scrapping that were
    stolen most likely just because they didn't have an immobilser.

You need to stop thinking of someone robbing it for export or as a get
    away vehicle but something some teenage bottomfeeder fancies taking
    for a spin or needs for parts.

Get a nice big chain and lock and wrap it around the steering wheel
    and floor/seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If someone want the car bad enough...they'll take it,regardless of any amount of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

SK1979 wrote: »

Thanks.

immobiliser,alarm or 3, a couple of German Shepherds in the back seat,door handles electrifyed and 7 cctv cameras on it...
    that should do for a start :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nforce wrote: »
    If someone want the car bad enough...they'll take it,regardless of any amount of security.

But certain cars are so easy to steal that some people just can't help themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

JHMEG wrote: »
    But certain cars are so easy to steal that some people just can't help themselves.

Exactly!

Apart from 'stolen to order' or 'getaway' stuff the scroates are gonna take the easy option. Take two houses side-by-side, one with an alarm one without - what are they gonna go for? Same applies to cars with alarms and / or immobilisers and those without.

I drive a '97 523i and I don't even bother locking it sometimes, if I had a Civic I would have it wrapped up in chains. Then again I wouldn't be driving a Civic! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

if the car has an immobiliser, which is any car sold in ireland new since 94 the scrotes will break into your house to get the keys. if its a jap import i think its most cars since 02 have immobilisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...or, no callers from Carzone this week, either ? (sigh)......... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

There was an attempt on my car last week (last Monday), a 95', nothing special (but well serviced and looked after, and has never left me stranded), no alarm or immobiliser, drivers door wrecked. Parked beside a 05 Honda with full kit and Mugen Power stickers worth probably 30-40 times what its worth. The kunts are looking for something easy to take, burn out and burn down. Cops reckon the fcuks were disturbed, otherwise the car was toast. Nothing of value in the car, except driver licence; won't be leaving that in there again. Haven't slept right since, and have been sleeping in the front room, with a 6-iron near the front door, in case they come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I read on Honestjohn that the Mitsubishi Pajero is the most stolen and not recovered vehicle in europe. Bit of a strange one...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

high horse wrote: »
    I read on Honestjohn that the Mitsubishi Pajero is the most stolen and not recovered vehicle in europe. Bit of a strange one...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=272

There's so many countrys without a decent road network where a pajero would sell easy....think of Africa, South America, Kerry....those kind of rough terrains !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The car most likely to get stolen is the one where you hang the keys in the back of the front door or leave on the hall table.

Those car have no chance. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That attitude is one reason why cars will continue to get stolen. It's frankly daft, it's untrue and it's defeatist, pure and simple and plays into the hands of the scum. Oh you hear the stories about them taking a car on a loloader but most of those stories are in teh realms of fantasy or belong on snopes.

Put simply, you can make a car so much of a pain to steal that they'll simply go elsewhere 99% of the time. This goes triple for the average scum "joyrider".

It's all about the layers of security. Most alarms are crap. Simple as that. It's not the alarms themselves but where they're fitted. Most are in exactly the same place to make it easier for the fitter. Most immobiliser circuits are fitted in an obvious place too. Some make it easier to hotwire the car than if they werent there at all.

The siren is next to useless as a deterrent. How many times have any of us woken up to a siren and realising it wasn't ours gone back to sleep? It's only good for alerting us it's our car.

How many people out there with alarms have a backup battery attached to the alarm brain? Very bloody few I would bet. Now a few may have backup battery sirens, but if you don't have one on the alarm brain itself, it's more bypassable.

Basically pop the bonnet(honda drivers need to google how easy that is) and kill the siren, which in most cases is in stupidly plain sight(if you can see your siren in the engine bay it's pointless and you should ask for your money back) and they have all the time in the world to work out where the immobiliser circuit is. How many are running secondary or even tertiary kill switches? Not in the obvious places BTW. How many have an anti hijack feature that kills the car down the road even if the scum steal the keys?

How many have secondary sirens inside the car with their own power supply to really píss off the scum?

Some models of cars you can fit third party deadlocks, which means they'll have to smash a window and climb through it to get in.

How many have a steering wheel lock that covers the entire steering wheel?

You could go the whole hog and fit one of the boot things to the road wheel. Seems to work well enough for clampers.

You could invest in a post for your driveway too.

If you have that lot going on, well then your car is going to be the least attractive as a target on your street. Oh they may try, but the thieving little pussbags won't take the car anywhere.

I know a guy who did his security properly. He had to leave the car for a weekend and came back to find the door forced and wires all over the place where the scum had tried to take it, but it was still sitting there on his driveway. They clearly had time on their hands, but couldn't move it.

Sorry but the "ah sure if they really want it...." brigade really 'kin winds me up. TBH my feelings would be better in the ranting and raving forum.

The eejits I can never understand are those who will happily spend thousands on a set of alloys or an ICE install and only spend 200 quid on an alarm, or have no alarm at all. I mean WTF?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

if the car has an immobiliser, which is any car sold in ireland new since 94 the scrotes will break into your house to get the keys. if its a jap import i think its most cars since 02 have immobilisers.
    That's where anti hijack systems come in. If it's a really expensive car then a tracker is a good option. Again get it installed somewhere differently.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Wibbs wrote: »
    That attitude is one reason why cars will continue to get stolen. It's frankly daft, it's untrue and it's defeatist, pure and simple and plays into the hands of the scum. Oh you hear the stories about them taking a car on a loloader but most of those stories are in teh realms of fantasy or belong on snopes.

If it's top end cars that we're talking about here, it's very very tough to take them without the keys, therefore they'll break into your house to get them.

Fair enough, you can protect yourself against joyrider car targets quite easily, but if you own a getaway target car like an Audi RS4, and you've no dog, garage or serious home protection, it's hard to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

the average ford focus is near impossible to start without the keys.

Please re-read my quote...

and yet you agree with me by saying.....

Put simply, you can make a car so much of a pain to steal that they'll simply go elsewhere 99% of the time.

What about that 1%?????

That attitude is one reason why cars will continue to get stolen. It's frankly daft, it's untrue and it's defeatist, pure and simple and plays into the hands of the scum.

How is it daft :confused:, can you provide proof that it's untrue? It may come across as defeatist but it's a simple fact ...that if your car is desirable enough to warrant been stolen (by a professional gang)..then it will be. You could spend 100k on security on your car but if you are rudely awaked in the small hours with a gang member asking for the keys for your car or he'll rape your wife and kill your children what are you going to do? Don't bother saying that this scenario is pure Hollywood as it really is happening here...just read the papers, watch the news.
    I'm not saying that we should make it easy for the casual toerag to nick your car. By all means fit extra security as you deem fit...but at what point is there enough security devices fitted?

Sorry but the "ah sure if they really want it...." brigade really 'kin winds me up. TBH my feelings would be better in the ranting and raving forum.

True :p
    The eejits I can never understand are those who will happily spend thousands on a set of alloys or an ICE install and only spend 200 quid on an alarm, or have no alarm at all. I mean WTF?

Now there's something I have to agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The average Fiat is also near impossible to start with the keys!

and yet you agree with me by saying.....

What about that 1%?????
    So do you work on the principle that because of a 1% chance you don't take all the precautions required? Because that's exactly why most don't bother their arses install good security.

How is it daft :confused:, can you provide proof that it's untrue? It may come across as defeatist but it's a simple fact ...that if your car is desirable enough to warrant been stolen (by a professional gang)..then it will be.
    What is the percentage of cars take by "professional gangs"? Tiny, that's what. You're doing the usual of extrapolating from an extreme and applying it to the average situation. It's akin to saying "ah sure I won't give up smoking as I could be hit by a meteorite tomorrow.
    You could spend 100k on security on your car but if you are rudely awaked in the small hours with a gang member asking for the keys for your car or he'll rape your wife and kill your children what are you going to do? Don't bother saying that this scenario is pure Hollywood as it really is happening here...just read the papers, watch the news.
    Jesus, talk about over the top. I dunno where you live but I'd move. Again how common is that? How many people on this board who have had a car stolen have had a gang standing over them and their wife with rape on their minds? Nil I would imagine or very very very bloody low. So it is ultimately pointless to even discuss it as it's more hype than reality in 99% of cases. Even so, a tracker and anti hijack will make it more likely you'll get your car back if it is that stealable.
    I'm not saying that we should make it easy for the casual toerag to nick your car. By all means fit extra security as you deem fit...but at what point is there enough security devices fitted?
    When it stops 99% of the attempts to nick it basically. Not the 1% Polish gang with no necks and their willies in their hand looking at your wife with amorous intent.

True :p
    :D

Now there's something I have to agree with.
    Yep we're on the same page there. Utterly daft. OK if you simply can't afford it, but a simple fuel pump cutoff switch will defeat a lot of casual scumbags and it costs buttons. Locking the car costs nothing. Leaving nothing on view in the car costs nothing. As does turning the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and leaving it in gear. Makes it harder to just push it out your driveway and gives them less leverage to break the steering lock.
    Well they wouldn't bother with a focus and the like I would imagine, but one way used to get around the factory immobiliser is to bring another OEM ECU and matching key and after they kill the siren swap it out and away they go.

What is the percentage of cars take by "professional gangs"? Tiny, that's what.

How many people on this board who have had a car stolen have had a gang standing over them and their wife with rape on their minds? Nil I would imagine or very very very bloody low. So it is ultimately pointless to even discuss it as it's more hype than reality in 99% of cases. Even so, a tracker and anti hijack will make it more likely you'll get your car back if it is that stealable.
    When it stops 99% of the attempts to nick it basically. Not the 1% Polish gang with no necks and their willies in their hand looking at your wife with amorous intent.

Don't be so sure of yourself about it being a tiny proportion, it's much more common than you think.

I personally know two people who've had break ins for their car, one who woke up while they were in the bedroom, and took/gave a few punches, and the other who luckily had left the keys in the kitchen.

Look around on a car forum, where the majority of people own high performance cars, and you'll find that it's unfortunately common enough.

Also, a tracker is effectively useless, and any professional car thief will know how to disable one. As for a anti-hijack system, it's just not the way these cars are taken in this country, so pretty worthless really.

• Advertisement

Wibbs...I don't think you're getting my jist ie. If someone wants your car badly enough,they'll take it.

If you've read my post above you'll see that I state that we should by all means try to minimise the risk of our cars being stolen, As for the percentage of cars taken by pro gangs......I'd say it's actually pretty high, especially if you are the owner of a prestige marque. Actually....scratch that....there are even pro gangs that are stealing feckin' tractors...expensive tractors, but tractors all the same.:eek::P
    As for my Hollywood scenario...might not have happened to many on these forums....but how many here have heard of occupied houses being burgled and subsequentially having cars stolen after the gangs have found the car keys in an accessible place...without needing to wake the occupants of the house? That scenario is pretty fcuking common, believe it or not.

With regards to this guy...
    I know a guy who did his security properly. He had to leave the car for a weekend and came back to find the door forced and wires all over the place where the scum had tried to take it, but it was still sitting there on his driveway. They clearly had time on their hands, but couldn't move it.

I bet he felt all fuzzy inside knowing that the scum couldn't nick his car....despite the fact that they had just completely trashed it. I dunno about you but I'd rather if the scum nicked it rather than for me to come back and find it in that state...and I bet I'm not alone in thinking that.;):cool:

daRobot wrote: »
    Don't be so sure of yourself about it being a tiny proportion, it's much more common than you think.

I personally know two people who've had break ins for their car, one who woke up while they were in the bedroom, and took/gave a few punches, and the other who luckily had left the keys in the kitchen.

Look around on a car forum, where the majority of people own high performance cars, and you'll find that it's unfortunately common enough.
    Cool enough. I'll take your experience of it. I have heard of car keys being nicked in burglaries alright, but not in head to head encounters.

Also, a tracker is effectively useless, and any professional car thief will know how to disable one.
    It depends how "professional" the installer is. Most put them in the same bloody place. I knew a guy who had a very fancy top of the range German Marque and he had one fitted, but after the fitter had done his work, this guy who is handy DIY wise, dove in, found it and relocated it. About 8 months later it was stolen. He got it back. They had parked it in an underground carpark, presumably to case it to see if someone came looking for it, or to block any tracker signal(it doesn't). Interestingly when he got it back the scum had peeled back and rummaged behind the panel right where the original installer had fitted the device. Lucky he moved it. Again it's all down to the quality of the install.
    As for a anti-hijack system, it's just not the way these cars are taken in this country, so pretty worthless really.
    Clearly you don't understand the concept of an anti hijack system or what it does. If someone takes your keys in a burglary say, or when you go to your car in a big car park, they disarm the alarm, start the car and away they go. If they don't disarm the anti hijack, the car drives up the road and at a preset interval slowly shuts down the engine while sounding the horn/alarm, flashing the lights and then immobilising the car on yet another circuit. The Clifford Blackjax would be the most common one out there.
    Nforce wrote:
    Wibbs...I don't think you're getting my jist ie. If someone wants your car badly enough,they'll take it.

If you've read my post above you'll see that I state that we should by all means try to minimise the risk of our cars being stolen,
    I see that. It was your first post which wound me up, not your following ones. Your blanket statement, which is oft repeated and is also oft used as an excuse by people to not properly research this and properly secure their cars. I guarantee if 90% of drivers, secured their cars better with well installed alarms and other systems, the car crime in this country would drop. "Joyriding" would really drop. The proof of that is that the scum don't go for newer cars that are perceived to have better security.
    As for the percentage of cars taken by pro gangs......I'd say it's actually pretty high, especially if you are the owner of a prestige marque.
    Oh there were a spate of high end stuff being nicked by gangs for export a few years back. A bunch went AWOL in one night. No kicking down doors or confrontation. A couple were recovered. Those with trackers.
    Actually....scratch that....there are even pro gangs that are stealing feckin' tractors...expensive tractors, but tractors all the same.
    Still they're bloody expensive and security may not be great on them. I gather farmyard thefts are a growing problem.
    As for my Hollywood scenario...might not have happened to many on these forums....but how many here have heard of occupied houses being burgled and subsequentially having cars stolen after the gangs have found the car keys in an accessible place...without needing to wake the occupants of the house? That scenario is pretty fcuking common, believe it or not.
    Oh no I've heard of that. People need to first look at home security. Most double glazing is woefully unsecure. You can pop a window out with a screwdriver. It's easier now than back in the old days. Then you had to break the window.

With regards to this guy...

I bet he felt all fuzzy inside knowing that the scum couldn't nick his car....despite the fact that they had just completely trashed it. I dunno about you but I'd rather if the scum nicked it rather than for me to come back and find it in that state...and I bet I'm not alone in thinking that.
    Actually he was similar mind to me. He was happy the worthless mouth breathers didn't have the pleasure of taking the car. I would be exactly the same. If they nick it the car will end up being burnt out in a field somewhere, but the subhuman scum will get pleasure from it beforehand. Short of them crashing and being burnt alive in the car(in which case I would happily bring cocktail sausages), I would prefer if they didn't get any "joy" out of it.

I see that. It was your first post which wound me up, not your following ones. Your blanket statement, which is oft repeated and is also oft used as an excuse by people to not properly research this and properly secure their cars.

Blanket statement it may be....but unfortunately it's still true.;)

Oh there were a spate of high end stuff being nicked by gangs for export a few years back.

Nope...it's still going on. I know of one gang with a warehouse full of "premium" cars that were raided only a few months ago. Many cars are not just stolen for export...many wind up being dismantled as it's easier to trade car parts.

Slightly off topic, but what I would love to see is an "Anti Car Vandalism Device" being developed to deal with the scrotes who enjoy keying cars, kicking off wing mirrors, jumping across bonnets and roofs etc.
    Something that'd mame them for life..though not necessarily kill them outright would suffice ;):p:D

Clearly you don't understand the concept of an anti hijack system or what it does. If someone takes your keys in a burglary say, or when you go to your car in a big car park, they disarm the alarm, start the car and away they go. If they don't disarm the anti hijack, the car drives up the road and at a preset interval slowly shuts down the engine while sounding the horn/alarm, flashing the lights and then immobilising the car on yet another circuit. The Clifford Blackjax would be the most common one out there.

Don't assume. I know exactly what an anti-hijack system is, and what is does.

I would still reiterate that it's pretty useless for how cars are taken here (ie , at the owners address, actual car jackings in car parks and on the road are ultra rare).

Do you think that the guys robbing a car come on foot?

Nope, they come with a driver to bring them to their destination, and that driver will generally keep a lookout for checkpoints on the route back, and keep mobile contact.

Now do you think that when the hijack system kicks in, that they wont go back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

The average Fiat is also near impossible to start with the keys!

I had a renault laguna that was impossible to start in cold weather WITH the keys !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

knew a guy in work who drove an old honda civic jap import that had a killswitch installed in the boot by a previous owner. It used to get broken into so often, that he eventually just stopped locking it. Used to start with a screwdriver some scrote left jammed into the ignition.

The 2 euro switch from maplins did its job though, and they never got anywhere. He'd know in the morning 'an attempt' had been made, as it'd be down the road a couple more meters from where he'd parked it the night before

• Advertisement

Don't assume. I know exactly what an anti-hijack system is, and what is does.

I would still reiterate that it's pretty useless for how cars are taken here (ie , at the owners address, actual car jackings in car parks and on the road are ultra rare).
    Eh so you know exactly what it does yet continue to say that it's a pointless system because car jackings are ultra rare. OK I'll make it easier and remove the word hijack which you seem to be focused on, lets call it a delayed action secondary immobiliser not reliant on the main alarm or immobiliser, that stops the car down the road after the scum have driven off.

Now you say "hijackings" don't happen in this country and fair enough, well apparently some posters here have known of scum breaking in and taking the keys by force. I certainly know of people who have had their cars taken as part of a burglary. So that's a hijacking by any other name. The taking of a car with the keys in the ignition and the alarm disabled in the normal way by someone who is not the owner.
    Do you think that the guys robbing a car come on foot?

Nope, they come with a driver to bring them to their destination, and that driver will generally keep a lookout for checkpoints on the route back, and keep mobile contact.

Now do you think that when the hijack system kicks in, that they wont go back?
    So what if they do? The car has stopped up the road, blaring the alarm and lights flashing and won't start without entering the right code and if the wrong code is entered a few times locks the car down completely, making a helluva racket and drawing attention in the process. That's after they've bypassed all your other security(which if you have enough well installed layers they shouldn't have). So now they have to try and trace, usually in the dark where the next cut is in your ignition/fueling is(obviously you make the break far away from the original alarm cut. And has thrown them for a loop as at the time they've figured they're away clear. Plus you've been on the the phone to the Guards(local station if you have any sense) and informed them that the car and the scum are gonna be stopped up the road. Hopefully the plod in your area will respond in a useful amount of time..... though I have to say in my dealings and mates dealings with them over the years our perceptions, rightfully or wrongfully is that in the main they're about as effective as a chocolate kettle. That has to change. I would say they're far more likely to if the car is immobilised as it's far less a personal danger to them than a driving car. I personally know of two guys who retrieved their car this way, after their alarm was bypassed. It's quite the popular add on in other parts of the world with even higher car crime than our own.
    Wossack wrote:
    knew a guy in work who drove an old honda civic jap import that had a killswitch installed in the boot by a previous owner. It used to get broken into so often, that he eventually just stopped locking it. Used to start with a screwdriver some scrote left jammed into the ignition.

The 2 euro switch from maplins did its job though, and they never got anywhere. He'd know in the morning 'an attempt' had been made, as it'd be down the road a couple more meters from where he'd parked it the night before
    + 1000.

Sometimes the cheapest, simplest things are very effective and that one has saved many a car for being taken by joyriders. It's easy and very cheap to do. It would be one of the first things I would do to a car I had bought that didn't have a strong factory immobiliser system.

Another one for Hondas and a couple of other Japanese cars is simply re routing the bonnet release cable. They are stupidly easy to access and activate from the outside of the car. Pop the bonnet from the outside, siren goes off, snip power to siren in seconds as it's usually in plain view and if not a backup battery siren, your warning system is now gone. They can then take their sweet time to hotwire the car and bypass your alarm. There was a system I saw years ago that was a bonnet lock. A device that locked the bonnet and immobilised the starter and ignition under the bonnet out of harms way. Bitch to bypass.

My take on car security is simply this. Make it very very difficult for the scum to succeed. Oh sometimes they may, but make it difficult enough that they move on as there are so many out there who have nothing like that on their cars or rely on "fate".

PS most of this info came from a guy I knew years ago who was an ex car thief who really turned his life around. I was gobsmacked when I saw how easily he bypassed my super duper alarm system at the time.

PPS recently saw a system that had a tiny hidden infra red camera that takes pictures of the joyrider when the alarm is triggered and sends it to your mobile. Cool idea. the only thing is in this country I'm not so confident that the powers that be would do anything with it. That's my real bugbear about Ireland. Property crime is not pursued hard enough, nor punished harshly enough to make a difference.

>Wibbs

Hijack, secondary immobiliser whatever we're going to call it.

It has a use as protection for actual Hijack situation (Just so you're clear, a hijack is a robbery of a moving vehicle), but as far as being effective for a theft from a house, I don't think so.

I'm not talking about pikeys looking for a joyride in a 98' Impreza on which these type of systems will have the desired effect, i'm talking about professional criminals stealing high-end cars who will make multiple attempts to get what they want.

As I stated in the first place, the first thing to secure, in order to protect your car, is entry to your home. Dogs, proper doors/windows etc are the things that will stop someone getting to you and your car. Alarms, Trackers etc are just minor distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only problem is that if they cant take yer car - they wreck it !!!

>Wibbs

Hijack, secondary immobiliser whatever we're going to call it.

It has a use as protection for actual Hijack situation (Just so you're clear, a hijack is a robbery of a moving vehicle), but as far as being effective for a theft from a house, I don't think so.
    Well technically it's the robbery of a vehicle that has stopped. Good luck in robbing a moving car...;):) As I say I know f two guys who recovered their cars because of a system like this.
    I'm not talking about pikeys looking for a joyride in a 98' Impreza on which these type of systems will have the desired effect, i'm talking about professional criminals stealing high-end cars who will make multiple attempts to get what they want.
    Agreed, but for the most part it's the pikeys you're going to be dealing with, unless you've a very high end car. Even there, in most cases the pros that are stealing for parts or export are generally going to avoid too much hassle and possible confrontation. It's not good for business, so will always go for the easier target, of which there are many.
    As I stated in the first place, the first thing to secure, in order to protect your car, is entry to your home. Dogs, proper doors/windows etc are the things that will stop someone getting to you and your car.
    +1000 I agree 100%
    Alarms, Trackers etc are just minor distractions.
    I see them as another layer again. Properly fitted these systems will massively reduce their odds of getting into the car without causing a ruckus, reduce the chances of the car starting and if they do, the car either conks out on them or can be followed and retrieved. Again the easier target is a better bet for them. Joe or Mary Soap up the road with no security lights, crappy double glazing and a dopey yellow steering lock will be the target they'll move to in most cases.
    PCPhoto wrote:
    only problem is that if they cant take yer car - they wreck it !!!
    So? If they take your car they'll still wreck it. Either way it's wrecked, but if they drive off in it, they will have gotten the satisfaction of taking it. I wouldn't give them that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Anything wearing an "R" badge,Namely honda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

benj wrote: »
    immobiliser,alarm or 3, a couple of German Shepherds in the back seat,door handles electrifyed and 7 cctv cameras on it...
    that should do for a start :D

can german sheperd put out fires ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

I had a boxster and now an M3
    have a gate post , security light and house alarm
    and cars never touched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

My neighbours cars have been broken into and stolen at other times and mine has been in the driveway unlocked and was untouched, id put it down to the rottweiler that sleeps close enough to it. but to be fair thats just stealin stuff out of the car rather than the actuall car. i dont think dog would stop people that want to rob the car only that it might wake up someone that has access to a gun or two... I reckon that an immobaliser and alarm will ward off about 80% of theives and as Jap cars generally dont have either of these (car theift isnt a big problem in japan obviously) they are an easy target. I reckon an old bmw would be as much of a target for some tramps lookin for a joy ride alright. (no reflection on ur beamer by the way) :)

Advertisement