Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to replace Firefox with IE as default browser but I dont have Admin privileges

• 20-07-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Whenever I open a link in a document or email it tries to follow the link in Firefox. I say tries because links to our intranet or web applications will not open in Firefox.

I want to reset IE as my default browser, however I don’t have administrator privileges. I cannot change it from “Folder Option”, from “Add/Remove programs” or from IE’s “Internet Options”.

Is there anything I can do, other than call up IT and tell them I installed Firefox after being told not to 

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Start up ie and see if it gives you the pop up box asking you if you want to make it your default browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Can you not do it from the Start Menu properties i.e. right click on Task Bar, click on Properties, click on Start Menu tab, then choose Customise? There's an option in there to set your default browser and email packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Start up ie and see if it gives you the pop up box asking you if you want to make it your default browser.
    It does not. Normally all one would have to do is go into IE > Internet Options > Program and tick the box for check to see if default browser.

Unfortunatly I cannot tick this box as I have insufficient privileges.

redtom wrote: »
    Can you not do it from the Start Menu properties i.e. right click on Task Bar, click on Properties, click on Start Menu tab, then choose Customise? There's an option in there to set your default browser and email packages.
    The only option I can see like that is the option of which browser and email package to display on the start menu - this does not effect your default settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 kuban-83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

The only option I can see like that is the option of which browser and email package to display on the start menu - this does not effect your default settings.

Beg your pardon, thought that was for setting default packages.

Can you uninstall firefox and any other browsers, then start Internet Explorer and see if the message comes up asking you do you want to make it your default? Then reinstall firefox and if a message comes up for that just say no?

Uninstalling firefox was the first thing I tried, no hyperlinks will work when I do this, ie will just open to the home page.

I appear to have access to the registry, though I'll try that on my home PC before messing with the work laptop.

Thanks everyone for your help so far, if anyone else has any ideas Im running XP Pro.

Im thinking of updating to the most recent IE, which should update the default browser, but we have been told not to do that either and I dont know if our intranet apps will work with later editions (have IEv6 atm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 kuban-83

I appear to have access to the registry, though I'll try that on my home PC before messing with the work laptop.

Yes. but you can check if under the address:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \Microsoft[COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR] \ Internet Explorer
    you can see the key Control Panel nad then ProgramsTab

Becuase is you are connectiong in your office to a Domain it could be a Policy restriction throw Active directory.

BTW: i tried the solution in the registry and it was working for me.

Ok. Again, many thanks to all the help thus far.
    I can access the registry, and I have the program tab in IE>Internet Options, but everything on the tab is greyed out and I cant make any changes.

edit: the Check_If_Default was set to 1, thats fixed now, and IE is my default browser once again (and I still have firefox for when I need it)!

Muchos thanks to all of you!

Advertisement