Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are people underestimating Man City?

• 20-07-2009 2:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Most people seem to completly dismiss Man City this season and cite rotation and the simple fact that they have so many new players that will have gel for why they think City wont be a real threat this year. Most infact seem to suggest they wont even get top 4 this season but I wonder are people underestimating and dismissing the richest club in the world a bit too quickly?

I mean look at their probable team for next season:

..................................................S Given

Zabaleta/M.Richards...Onuoha/Kompany/Dunne...Terry/Lescott/Alves...W.Bridge

...................N.DeJong/Barry/Ireland..........N.DeJong/Barry/Ireland

SWP............................................Tevez................................Robinho

................................................Adebayor

Subs: S.Taylor, Ben Haim, M.Richards, M.Petrov, Elano, RSC, Craig Bellamy

obviously that is assuming they buy a big name CB and sure they may even sign more but surely with a lil bit of luck that team is good enough to compete with any squad in the league is it not?

Im not saying i think the are going to win the league or anything but do think that a lot of people have written them off far too easily already, many doing so even with regards to challenging the top 4 this year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

To be honest I kinda have until I saw this. They do have a fantastic team but their defence is still weak, full backs in particular. Going forward they have the potential to rip any team a new one but there is something in the back of the head saying that they just won't do anything of note.

Remains to be seen I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The people completely dismissing them and saying they'll finish mid table are completely delusional. They'll surely challenge the top 4, I don't see how they couldn't. Not challenging the top 4 would be completely disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I think they won't be far off a top 4 place if they can play some decent football on the road. It will be interesting to see how Hughes copes with the big egos and demands for first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Well on paper they do indeed look very strong but with so many new players coming in it's going to take them a while to gel and find their best formation/tactics etc. Along with that they are going to have to manage 5 top class strikers' egos. That is something for which I don't envy Hughes. It could become a real problem as the season progresses; team harmony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think they have a top 6 squad - maybe top 4 if they gel well.
    Hughes is the problem for me - i think Blackburn were his level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

All they have bought are forwards and Gareth Barry. They havn't a chance of winning the League or getting in the top 4 but they might be good enough for sixth (behind Everton).

They need to strenghten their defense and their away form. Also Hughes looks to be out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Have to say that I don't think they have put together a top 4 squad, a lot of the players they have bought are those overlooked by the top four and are what look to me, second level Premier League players. The likes of Santa Cruz, Barry, SWP are not what I think is generally considered the top level of Premier League standard.

I feel that they have invested the money in the wrong half of the pitch to be fair. Every good house is built on a solid foundation and I think they should be ploughing the cash into their defence and holding midfield as a priority.

With that said, they are still building a team more than capable of creating a level between the top 4 and the likes of Tottenham, Villa etc. which can then be used as a springboard into the Champions League spots.

I would also add that it looks as though the top 4 have taken a bit of a backwards step in development this summer (caused by the rate of Sterling v. Euro in my opinion) which might do more to bring City into the running than anything they might have done themselves in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yep, the defence is poor and the away form needs to improve if they are to push into the top four.

As for Hughes, they can do no worse by getting Sven back. Hughes won't be able to manage or massage those egos next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If I was an arsenal fan I'd be worried. City are a good bet for a top 4 finish, and arsenal are the weakest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The parallels between Hughes & Ranieri are already well documented. Hughes needs to be instantly successful if he wants to keep his job as we all know how fickle billionaire playboy owners can be. As its Man City i still expect some comic moments to occur along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Most people seem to completly dismiss Man City this season and cite rotation and the simple fact that they have so many new players that will have gel for why they think City wont be a real threat this year. Most infact seem to suggest they wont even get top 4 this season but I wonder are people underestimating and dismissing the richest club in the world a bit too quickly?

I mean look at their probable team for next season:

..................................................S Given

Zabaleta/M.Richards...Onuoha/Kompany/Dunne...Terry/Lescott/Alves...W.Bridge

...................N.DeJong/Barry/Ireland..........N.DeJong/Barry/Ireland

SWP............................................Tevez................................Robinho

................................................Adebayor

Subs: S.Taylor, Ben Haim, M.Richards, M.Petrov, Elano, RSC, Craig Bellamy

obviously that is assuming they buy a big name CB and sure they may even sign more but surely with a lil bit of luck that team is good enough to compete with any squad in the league is it not?

Im not saying i think the are going to win the league or anything but do think that a lot of people have written them off far too easily already, many doing so even with regards to challenging the top 4 this year.
    I honestly can't see Hughes going with the 4 attacking players. A midfield trio of De Jong, Barry and Ireland has to be a dead cert for his preferred midfield (unless someone else is picking the team....) leaving 3 in atttack.

I think we'll probably see Kompany at CB when back from injury. They definitely need to get another top-class CB as you say to crack the top 4.

Their bad defence last season was Hughes doing IMO.
    A team of superstar defenders is not necessary, some basic organisation is what is needed, Richards and Dunne were a shambles last year. Even a defence of average players can be a solid unit with the right organisation, look at Fulham.
    It seems like Hughes and Man City want Terry to be the guy to do that job, rather than Hughes himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've not written them off. I made a bet with my mate, who is an Arsenal fan, that City will pip them for a Champions League spot this season.

Gwan the Citeh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are, without doubt, going to pushing the likes of Everton and Villa for 5th or 6th place at the very least if the squad stays as it is. If they go out and sign two centre backs and a right back, they will either finish in, or very close to, the top 4.

I am thinking that by the time that season starts, the first team will be:

Given
    xxxxxxxxxx
    zzzzzzz
    yyyyyyyy
    Bridge
    DeJong
    Barry

Tevez
    Ireland
    Robinho

Ade

God knows who xxxxxxxxx might be. I am guessing that zzzzzzzzz will end up being Lescott. It looks like yyyyyyyyy might end up being Terry but I think they would be wiser signing someone younger.

Backup for that team could end up being:

Taylor
    Richards
    Dunne
    Onuoha
    Zabaletta
    Kompany
    Elano

SWP
    Bellamy
    Petrov

RSC

Ultimately though, the only thing that I can imagine stopping them making genuine push for the top 4 is time. It might take a few weeks/months for everyone to get into their grove and by that stage, it might just be too late to break into the top 4.

I genuinely do believe that their success will be dependent on them signing some top defenders.

I am also not convinced that Hughes has the skills to organise them effectively.

Zabaleta is right back. you forgot him it seems.
    I'm not sure if he's considered good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Draupnir wrote: »
    Have to say that I don't think they have put together a top 4 squad, a lot of the players they have bought are those overlooked by the top four and are what look to me, second level Premier League players. The likes of Santa Cruz, Barry, SWP are not what I think is generally considered the top level of Premier League standard.

Barry isn't a top 4 standard player? Really? Why were Liverpool fans disappointed when he didn't sign last year? IMO he'd be perfect for United with Hargreaves constantly crocked.

SWP is as good as Walcott so would be at home at Arsenal, and could be quality for Liverpool on the right as well.

Santa Cruz is a fair point but he did score at heap of goals with an average side. Good squad player.
    I feel that they have invested the money in the wrong half of the pitch to be fair. Every good house is built on a solid foundation and I think they should be ploughing the cash into their defence and holding midfield as a priority.

We're not even halfway through the window. At least save the judgements on our defensive signings til we can't make any more.

The fact is we ARE after defenders at the moment and I expect some additions in the coming weeks.

JPA wrote: »
    A team of superstar defenders is not necessary, some basic organisation is what is needed, Richards and Dunne were a shambles last year. Even a defence of average players can be a solid unit with the right organisation, look at Fulham.
    It seems like Hughes and Man City want Terry to be the guy to do that job, rather than Hughes himself.

Not buying that about it being Hughes' fault. He inherited that defence from Sven who got the bulk of it from Pearce who had feck all money to build it.

Zabaleta and Kompany were excellent additions, but unfortunately Kompany had to play in the middle of the park til De Jong arrived.

I think people need to watch more of Nedum Onouha as well. He's outstanding.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Not buying that about it being Hughes' fault. He inherited that defence from Sven who got the bulk of it from Pearce who had feck all money to build it.

Zabaleta and Kompany were excellent additions, but unfortunately Kompany had to play in the middle of the park til De Jong arrived.

I think people need to watch more of Nedum Onouha as well. He's outstanding.

But how do you explain what happened to Dunne last year?

But how do you explain what happened to Dunne last year?

Even at his best Dunne was always good for a few fuck ups. They were just more noticeable last season as there were more red cards than usual thrown in.

He suffered a lot due to the ineptitude of Richards at centre half as well. Micah is good player but doesn't have a brain on the pitch. Dunne had a lot of extra work to do and as a result was often caught in positions he never should've been in.

I'm not excusing him fully cause he was crap at times but to blame Hughes is ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't doubt that City have signed some top talent, whatever about the prices (irrelevant in any case seeing as funds are apparently endless). I would just wonder whether or not you can get that many new signings to work together as a team in such a short space of time.

• Advertisement

Well you've changed your tune about Hughes.
    At times last year City were defensively, a shamble.
    There's no other word for.
    They were cut open so many times it was unreal, even by the likes of West Brom. I'd blame hughes 75% for it, that's just my opinion.
    And I also think he's completely out of his depth with all this money.

Any faith in him is just that, faith. He has it all to prove and I think we'll see a Ranieri type situation this year, he'll do quite well, but not good enough by outrageous standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I find the whole thing hilarious.

why would anyone think they'll break top 4 this year?

based on what they have _now_ it's full of players who eithier

couldn't get regular football at the top 4 club they were at

or wouldn't get a game in any of the top 4 teams bar one or two.

there's far too many if's but's and maybe's to think they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Man City's only remaining problem is their defence, which was appalling last year.

If they sort that out by spending a lot of money then they should challenge.

I really admire they way they've stuck with Hughes and given him a chance with the chequebook team but it remains to be seen whether he is a manager that can contend with the top four and I've a feeling that he might come up a bit short this year.

Last year makes me a bit suspect of how far he can take the club. Yeah they didn't have Terry or Lescott but you shouldn't need players like that to be able to defend.

Well you've changed your tune about Hughes.

Not really, I'm still sceptical that he's the man to lead us to glory, but last season is gone and we've bought superbly imo. I can't argue with anything that's gone on since May.
    At times last year City were defensively, a shamble.
    There's no other word for.

I know. I saw every league game bar 2.
    They were cut open so many times it was unreal, even by the likes of West Brom. I'd blame hughes 75% for it, that's just my opinion.

His hands were tied at certain times with who was available.

However, he was at fault for constantly playing 2 holding midfielders when they weren't both needed.
    And I also think he's completely out of his depth with all this money.

I don't see how. We've bought really well in general.
    Any faith in him is just that, faith. He has it all to prove and I think we'll see a Ranieri type situation this year, he'll do quite well, but not good enough by outrageous standards.

We'll just have to see I guess.

Right now City fans are in dreamland with all that's going on, and that's a great thing in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Barry is no worse than carrick or flecther

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I don't think anybody is dismissing City at all. Quite the opposite actually. Even as an Arsenal fan I hope they have a good season. It promises to be a very exciting season. Their defense needs to be improved that's for sure. Also from a goalscoring point of view they will need to put them away. Despite not scoring as many as we normally do Arsenal still were tied as second top goalscorers last season. They will be adding to that this season with the goalscoring players they have. City on the other hand need to remove the dead wood at the club. Bellamy and Hughes will go at some point this season.

If City don't perform well Hughes could very be gone before Christmas as I believe the job is too big for him. Bellamy might be gone before the window closes in Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not really, I'm still sceptical that he's the man to lead us to glory, but last season is gone and we've bought superbly imo.

Do you not think you're far too top heavy?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Do you not think you're far too top heavy?

Right now, yes, it appears that way, but in any interview Hughes said he won't sell before buy and that's good with me. The only players who have gone so far are those that were out of contract.

I've no doubt we'll sell some of those strikers (Benjani, Evans and possibly Bellamy) so we'll only have probably 5 at the start of the season (Tevez, Santa Cruz, Adebayor, Bojinov, Caicedo). Throw in injuries and it's not that deep.

At the back we do need to strengthen but it's the same deal about not selling before we buy, hence Ben Haim still floating about.

I get what people are saying but once again, it's not even halfway through the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I have to agree that city may challenge the top fout but have to disagree with all those who say arsenal are weak, i think they have a superb squad this year as long as everyone stays fit, im gona go out on a limb and suggest that chelsea might be the ones to give way in the top four this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Not challenging the top 4 would be completely disastrous.
    History has shown that 'disaster' is a season ticket holder at Eastlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I can see them being massively inconsistent, capable of beating top four sides one week, possibly getting turned over by a bottom half lower team the following week. Will they manage to actually perform away from Eastlands this season?

As pretty much else has said the squad looks massively unbalanced at the moment in terms of defence/offence. Who knows if this will get resolved before the transfer window closes?

Gathering up a bunch of talented players and putting eleven of them out on a pitch won't automaically make them into a good or even great team.

There are a number of players in the squad who have question marks over them in terms of what to expect like Adebayor, Robinho, RSC.

Also it will be interesting to see what the team spirit will be like especially if a couple of results go against them - of all of the squads in the premiership they look far and away the likeliest for squad discord.

How will the squad react to the new arrivals, what happens when big names are left on the bench? Will there be a South American clique to replace the Brazilian clique?

Overall I don't think people are under-estimating City but as yet they haven't provided any evidence that they can work as a squad to challenge consistently in the league and there is a massive amount of questions to be answered. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think they will be up there but I still feel Pool, Chelsea and Manu are at a completely different level. I think Arsenal are looking more vulnerable but as long as they dont implode they should comfortably take 4th.

The City team just seems a little unbalanced to me, it seems a bit of a rag tag collection of big money transfers all held together with superglue.

I dont rate Hughes as a manager and I cant see dealing with a team full of superstar player being his strong point.

Basically I think the team looks nice on paper but I dont think they will blow anybody away. Still a lot of spending to go though and it could all change by this next month. Im most interested in seeing how Stephen Ireland gets on. Still a question mark for me over wheter he can push on and really mark himself out as a top top player or wheter last season was a flash in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is how i saw it last season and how i see what's happening now. Sure, they didn't always have the best players to call on but i thought they should have been better organised. Maybe i'm wrong and there were mitigating circumstances for Hughs so.. assuming that they do now buy some good/great defenders to add to what they already have - then there'll be no excuse if their defence is a shambles again this season.

Re the players Hughs has bought so far- most of his transfers have been very good imo. I actually think that he's a crafty operator in the transfer market. I think with a few defenders in and a few un-needed players out they will be a formidable squad. But i would expect them to take a few months to settle.

The time it will take for the players to settle plus my strong suspicion that Sparky can't organise a defence is why i think that they won't break the top four this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do I think that they can challenge for the league? Not a chance in hell. Even if they buy good defenders, their first choice front 6 is still no match for the top 4, except for Ireland and Robinho.

Well, I think they will definately be challenging Villa and Everton for a spot.

Do I think that they can challenge for the top 4?

I think personally that they'll be quite inconsistant. Adebayor and Tevez are very frustrating players. Robinho is a flair up and down player. Ireland and Barry are probably the most consistant players on the pitch to be honest. I expect them to utterly hockey some teams one week and then struggle the following weak.

Beyond that I think they are soft, and lack a bit of battle which is needed in quite a few games in the PL, especially away.

Then beyond that again, it assumes they get good defenders in. But who is out there that they are gona get? And who is gona coach them into a solid defensive unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PHB wrote: »
    Do I think that they can challenge for the league? Not a chance in hell. Even if they buy good defenders, their first choice front 6 is still no match for the top 4, except for Ireland and Robinho.

Adebayor, Tevez, SWP and Barry are top 4 quality. Roque no.

TBF, they only need to sort out their home (or away, can't remember. Drunk) form and they'll be flying

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Adebayor, Tevez, SWP and Barry are top 4 quality. Roque no.

TBF, they only need to sort out their home (or away, can't remember. Drunk) form and they'll be flying

tevez and SWP couldn't get into the starting 11 in top 4 teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If city dont have a good season, I'll be surprised. Over the past year they have bought a good keeper, a good defender, good midfielders and good strikers.

I mean, its not rocket science. If by some miracle they get Terry, I would expect top 4.

Alex also dismissing them

It won't be easy for them to win anything, even with the players they have bought. I can't look at them as our main competitors. Liverpool and Chelsea are our main competitors." Strikers Adebayor, Tevez and Santa Cruz join fellow frontmen Robinho, Craig Bellamy, Valeri Bojinov, Felipe Caicedo and Benjani at Eastlands. And Ferguson is baffled as to how Hughes will cope with the huge firepower in his squad. The Scot said: "They have bought a lot of high-profile players but they have eight strikers. That is a hell of a lot. I have not spoken to all the managers but the one or two I have are saying 'Who are they going to leave out?' How does he pick a team? We are all interested."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

ntlbell wrote: »

It won't be easy for them to win anything, even with the players they have bought. I can't look at them as our main competitors. Liverpool and Chelsea are our main competitors." Strikers Adebayor, Tevez and Santa Cruz join fellow frontmen Robinho, Craig Bellamy, Valeri Bojinov, Felipe Caicedo and Benjani at Eastlands. And Ferguson is baffled as to how Hughes will cope with the huge firepower in his squad. The Scot said: "They have bought a lot of high-profile players but they have eight strikers. That is a hell of a lot. I have not spoken to all the managers but the one or two I have are saying 'Who are they going to leave out?' How does he pick a team? We are all interested."

Aw well, that's it then.....
    If Sir Fergie says so:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

ntlbell wrote: »

My money is on alderdice and o'neill. moyes could be in with a shout too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i reckon alot of people would like to see city fail (new money and pushing your own team out of contention) and i suppose anything less than top 6 would be the end of hughes.I think they have bought well so far all the players have PL experience so that should help the team to gel quicker and as i see it there starting 11 will only have 3 or 4 new players .
    Given
    Zabaleta
    Kompany
    New CB
    Bridge
    Barry*
    De Jong
    Ireland
    Robinho
    Tevez*
    Adebayor*

Onouha is our best centre half and should be first choice along with Terry, Lescott or whoever comes in.

Onouha is our best centre half and should be first choice along with Terry, Lescott or whoever comes in.

Should be but likely won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I don't think anyone is underestimating Man City at all.

Everyone I have heard thinks they will avoid relegation and probably finish at least mid-table.

Looks like the first of the strikers is on his way. Caicedo has agreed a move to Sporting Lisbon on a season long loan and it's due to be completed tomorrow.

Expect more to follow.

EDIT: And they are following. Evans to Sheffield United for £3 million according to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I get the bad feeling city are going to bid for huntelaar now anyone spurs want city get:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They will be in the top four conversation as the season develops. There is a certain point at which pure talent makes it happen for you. They didn't have enough quality last season, but since last year they have added:

Given
    Bridge
    Kompany
    Barry
    De Jong
    Robinho
    Tevez
    Adebayor
    Santa Cruz

While Ireland has blossomed into one of the finest players in the league. Petrov will also feel like a new signing. And the idea that Richard Dunne will have two woeful seasons in succession is laughable.

They are too good not to be pushing hard at the 4th - 6th range. And not "too good" in the way that Spurs were supposed to be too good before the start of last season. There is a substantial difference between adding the likes of Adeboyar, Tevez and Barry and adding the likes of Pavluchenko, Bentley and Modric.

So, I expect them to run either Arsenal or Liverpool (if Liverpool's midfield is gutted over the coming weeks) extremely close. And ultimately, it kind of doesn't matter whether they get there or not this year. Because they are coming up along the long term rail like a steam train and will only continue to improve over the next three years or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

They currently have a team good enough for the top 8.

This is based on the fact their defence is particularly poor compared to the front men and the fact they will more than likely have to outscore the opposition to win games. But in Given they have a great last line of defence

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they were top scorers in the league next season.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

They will be stronger this season than they were last season no doubt, but then again they have bought big for the last three summers on the trot. Why should they suddenly be a threat this season? I think they will end up in the Europa league spot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

They will without a doubt do well in the coming seasons.
    A force to reckon with, even this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement