Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substantial economic reform needed - Bacon

Options
  • 20-07-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just saw on rte news gadget that an economist has said that Substantial economic reform needed. What a genius, I bet no one knew that before. :rolleyes: Have any economists lost their jobs in this recession. It is the fact that we trust these idiots that has us in the mess we are. These people cost a fortune and produce nothing useful, they should be cut first.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wasn't there a fair few economists, non bank-employed, who have been warning about over-heating for years? Admittedly, many of their reports vary immensely but I thought the general trend over the last couple of years - prior to the Armageddon - was that we were on the wrong track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

He said we had a delusional view of social welfare.

He is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

RonMexico wrote: »
    He said we had a delusional view of social welfare.

He is right.

he is correct but since politicians ( beit present goverment of opposition ) need the votes of theese delusioned voters , we must appreciatate the fact that cutting wellfare is the biggest no no with the electorate , this is why public sector salarys need to be cut across the board so as social wellfare need not be touched , politicians should be the 1st for cuts , this would be far more palatable with the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

irish_bob wrote: »
    he is correct but since politicians ( beit present goverment of opposition ) need the votes of theese delusioned voters , we must appreciatate the fact that cutting wellfare is the biggest no no with the electorate , this is why public sector salarys need to be cut across the board so as social wellfare need not be touched , politicians should be the 1st for cuts , this would be far more palatable with the majority

are you going to post this on every thread?

i find it very strange for someone who is so concerned about reducing public expenditure that you have suddenly decided that welfare should not be reduced as most people don't want it

looking around the threads i see no evidence that the majority don't want to see welfare reduced.

all areas of expenditure need to be examined and remember welfare costs more than the public pay Bill

as for politicians pay, I'm sure such a move would be populalist but would hardly save us much in the context we are in

Riskymove wrote: »

i find it very strange for someone who is so concerned about reducing public expenditure that you have suddenly decided that welfare should not be reduced as most people don't want it

looking around the threads i see no evidence that the majority don't want to see welfare reduced.

all areas of expenditure need to be examined and remember welfare costs more than the public pay Bill

as for politicians pay, I'm sure such a move would be populalist but would hardly save us much in the context we are in

i drew my conclusion that thier is huge opposition to cutting wellfare from listening to media reports , not from this site

i myself think the dole is too high but i also realise that due to the crazy property boom and huge mortgages that people took out so as to get on the property ladder and the fact that you could count the number of people who saved for a rainy day on one hand , those who have lost thier jobs have more than food to pay for , if they are squeezed too tight , the country could face serious social unrest , thier is a lot of talk of pain being felt but a certain amount of pain is real but some is simply confused with greed and a reluctance to see a wage decrease

it does not make sense that a country which may need bailing out by the IMF also has the highest paid guards , teachers , nurses , judges , hospital consultants and of course politicans in europe

we,ve often heard of an irish solution to an irish problem , such is the culture of wellfare that is ingrained in this country , i think we have to tread carefully in this area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

we,ve often heard of an irish solution to an irish problem , such is the culture of wellfare that is ingrained in this country , i think we have to tread carefully in this area

dole is not the only welfare however and I note in particular Colm McCarthy's comments that an increase of around 3% was given this year to SW. Would going back to last year's rates of payment really affect people that badly?

I cannot see how we can bridge the gap by ignoring over a third of expenditure

The re-organisation of public sector orgs and numbers is a start and will see significant savings as per the McCarthy Report. Any pay cut proposed will help further but I cannot see cuts of 20% or more as bandied about by some...certainly there would be more resistance to that than a 3% decrease in SW.

dole is not the only welfare however and I note in particular Colm McCarthy's comments that an increase of around 3% was given this year to SW. Would going back to last year's rates of payment really affect people that badly?

I cannot see how we can bridge the gap by ignoring over a third of expenditure

The re-organisation of public sector orgs and numbers is a start and will see significant savings as per the McCarthy Report. Any pay cut proposed will help further but I cannot see cuts of 20% or more as bandied about by some...certainly there would be more resistance to that than a 3% decrease in SW.

you say that because you work in the public sector , i dont deny thier will be resistance , such is the strength of unions in this country but the public sector are not the majority , that said they do have the majority of the media on thier side which is an invaluable tool

dont get me wrong , i think social wellfare is too generous and far too many people who dont need handouts are recieving them , my mom for instance , she gets over 200 a week on the widows pension yet the same woman sold farmland back in 2006 and recieved over a million for it , the land previously belonged to her husband , her next door neighbour coincedently is also a youngish widow and gets the same and also has a good sized farm which she rents out , neither lady should be on state support as far as im concerned , means testing most certainly should happen in the area of wellfare with regard to many

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

To be fair the opinions on boards.ie wouldn't be of the majority in this case. I don't need to go into why we would more be willing to take the harsh medicine other than the fact that we know it needs to be done. Maybe your average joe bloggs wont understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the views on boards would probably be alot more informed than alot of the "retards" views that the politicians have to take on board! If anyone thought money could buy us the best of everything, well then why dont we have it?! There is no value for money, as mentioned in the sindo a few weeks ago, huge amounts of money are spent and there is no question of what you get in return. There is a great sense of entitlement in this country without much sense of duty. How much revenue would water charges bring in? combined with a property tax, some cuts in social welfare and maybe a slight raise in taxes again. There are a huge amount of morons in this country who do not know how things work, the sums of money are mind boggling, this money has to come from somewhere! its alot easier to spend it than earn it! Everyone is great at saying "oh this and that shouldnt be cut" but ask them what should be and they shrug their shoulders! either way its not going to be pleasant! and i think that for once the opposition should give the government the support they need to confront they vested interests and unions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its nothing to do with that, there is no incentive to get off the dole for some people as theres little difference in pay between working their ass off 40hrs a week or sitting on it 40 hrs a week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bacon is soiled goods now , he spent years as a board member of a property developer building rubbish for NAMA .

Advertisement