Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic free windows VCS?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Looking for a basic free windows version control system.

Had a quick look at Subversion but I think it might be overkill for what I need.

Just need something for myself working on projects at home, so if e.g. I mess up my css I don't spend 40 minutes panicking when my website layout collapses before discovering I accidentally deleted a >

Don't need any kind of distributed system, it's only going to be for a single user, just something to maintain different revisions of file and allow me to compare previous versions, that kind of thing.

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Distributed systems are still the best for what you're looking to do. I'd recommend Mercurial, using TortoiseHg as the GUI if you're in windows. (It sounds like overkill, but it's really not because of the different work model, which lets you have even less overhead than in older centralised systems).

Subversion, CVS and others all need a central server, which can be your desktop if it's just a private project, but it can be a pain if you later share that project out, and things like CVS don't track file name changes well, or at all.

Of course, the alternative is to use something like Sharesource, if it's destined to be an open source project, and that way you get networked backups and other useful things for free: http://sharesource.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Think it's going to stay as a private project, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I'll check out Mercurial, thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Bazaar may do the trick - it works grand on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for the suggestions - going one further, I'm currently using Codelobster as a free IDE for PHP development.

If I'm going down the version control route, it would be useful to have an IDE I can integrate it with.

So, hope it's not asking too much, but any free IDE/source control combinations out there for Windows with stuff like autocomplete for PHP/HTML/CSS/etc?

A quick google shows Aptana, and .. um.. that seems to be it. There's PDT too, but that's integrated with Eclipse, and I don't really want to go there.

Anyone used Aptana and found it good/bad, or any alternative suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

You can use Netbeans for PHP development. I only started with PHP a few months ago but I found it quite good. Step through debugging etc. It can be integrated with a number of version control products including svn, mercurial and cvs.
    If you are only using it for PHP then you don't have to install all the java modules and other stuff and so keep it quite light weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

i usehttp://www.sourcegear.com/vault/ for home use
    free for single user

Advertisement