Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio Warehouse Recording Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Mighty - I will be happy to join you, to get a few interviews and talk to some of the boardsies. If any manufacturers or talent are looking for publicity, give me a shout. Like I say - it's a fanzine, but circulation is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Wolsey White , producer of Hard-Fi whose debut album sold 1.2 million copies will be joining us from Staines on the day.

They recorded their album in an old Taxi Office for £300 and represent all that's good about home recording.

He won't be doing a presentation but will be joining in on the fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Is anyone driving down to this from Offaly or Dublin? I could really use a lift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

Is anyone driving down to this from Offaly or Dublin? I could really use a lift!

i am ..... i can give you a lift PM me.

Joe may be - but he may be going the day before . Keep me posted if you don't get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Can y'all take plenty pf photos and post them here afterwards?

Mike from RecordProduction.com will be there - he does the photos for Resolution Magazine so we should have piles of photos and hopefully some video.

The best plan would be to attend though !

If people want to organise car pooling through this thread please do. I'm sure there are people who are going who'd enjoy giving someone else a lift.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The best plan would be to attend though !

I'm afraid I'd feel less welcome than a kleenex at a snot party, I'd be sooo out of element it's not even funny. I do like the idea of sitting front of a control console though...kinda like the bridge of the Enterprise!

TelePaul wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'd feel less welcome than a kleenex at a snot party, I'd be sooo out of element it's not even funny. I do like the idea of sitting front of a control console though...kinda like the bridge of the Enterprise!

The whole point of the show is to introduce home guys to what the pro guys do and more importantly why they do it.

Whilst there will be some stuff to keep pros interested ( The Abbey Road Multis that Rupert isn't bringing with him) most people there won't be pros.

It's a bleedin' geekfest ....

It's a bleedin' geekfest ....

That's what I'm afraid of! Don't make me embarass you by asking why my mixes aren't as loud as the ones on the radio...

• Advertisement

That's what I'm afraid of! Don't make me embarass you by asking why my mixes aren't as loud as the ones on the radio...

How will you know if you don't ask ? There will be lots of guys there asking the same questions.

There will also be guys there who can answer them.

Get down there !

Just to clarify following TP posts -

This is not a Pro-Only Event -

It's for anyone who is interested in recording.

Just to clarify following TP posts -

This is not a Pro-Only Event -

It's for anyone who is interested in recording.

Yeah, sorry, didn't wanna stir anything up! It's a personal thing for me, I'm barely comfortable with what gear I have. Expensive audio kit does sometimes prompt me to reach for my wallet though - good thing nothing's for sale on the day!

Is there someone I can talk on this new 'small amp for recording purposes' trend?

Yeah, sorry, didn't wanna stir anything up!

No, you make a valid point.

There won't be any amp manufacturers there but there will be guys who will have a lot of experience in this area.

I just received a mail from Dirk Brauner of Brauner mics.

He says -

"I really look forward to this! It will be great fun and a great opportunity for all of us. "

That's it in a nutshell !

Zenon Schoepe Editor of Resolution Magazine has just confirmed his attendance.

Zen is a very interesting human with a very practical view of life and recording - he does, after all, give John Watkinson a column in the mag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi Telepaul,

I can't make it as I am back to work that week after 3 weeks hols. I would be feeling the same way you do so I would be sticking to the shallow end of the pool:D

It's a great opportunity though, if you can make it.

If you do go and you do get to sit at the console, resist the overwhelming urge to touch any of those shiny buttons :D

All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

Hi Telepaul,

I can't make it as I am back to work that week after 3 weeks hols. I would be feeling the same way you do so I would be sticking to the shallow end of the pool:D

If you do go and you do get to sit at the console, resist the overwhelming urge to touch any of those shiny buttons :D

All the best.

Trust me ....... the only way you will ever learn is to jump in ...... and push them shiny buttons ...... i remember feeling exactly the same!!!

Hi Telepaul,

All the best.

Rock, pity you can't make it.

I find this 'keeping to the shallow end' attitude strange.

The main reason must of us do this who make a living from it is FUN.

It's great fun chatting to Rupert about recording Elbow (or Muse or whoever) playing live in Abbey Road.
    Dirk Brauner from Brauner Mics is a guy who loves what he does and wants to tell you about it.

'Mad' Richard Palmer from SSL will tell us about the time he recorded a James Bond soundtrack (again) and play the multitrack from Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer (again) .... and we'll take the piss out of him again.

Wolsey White Hard-Fi's producer will chat to you about making their first record in an old Taxi office and his bedroom and selling 1.2 million of them.

We're all just lads having fun - don't miss it !

Rock, pity you can't make it.

The main reason must of us do this who make a living from it is FUN.

It's great fun chatting to Rupert about recording Elbow (or Muse or whoever) playing live in Abbey Road.
    Dirk Brauner from Brauner Mics is a guy who loves what he does and wants to tell you about it.

'Mad' Richard Palmer from SSL will tell us about the time he recorded a James Bond soundtrack and play the multi track from Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer again .... and we'll take the piss out of him again.

Wolsey White Hard-Fi's producer will chat to you about making their first record in an old Taxi office and his bedroom and selling 1.2 million of them.

We're all just lads having fun - don't miss it !

It's all to do with being out of ones depth:D For me anyway.

There's no doubt it will be a brilliant experience, one that I never could have availed of had it not been for this forum and you setting the whole thing up, fair play Paul.

I would have overcome my fear of deep techie stuff and gone but there's no way I'll get the time off work.

I will definitely go along to the next one and drag my bass player along.

Thanks

Rock.

• Advertisement

Fair enough !

For me, it's the jump from a software-based system to the integartion fo more hardware. While I can just about manage the digital mixer on Cubase, I'd be pretty lost when it comes to a PT desk (as I understand it, it's a hardware control system? I mean it still routes inputs to a DAW right?)

I'm not even sure what SSl do, though I presume it's all about mixing desks and pres...but for a guy who's only outboard gear is a cheap compressor, it all gets a bit much!

For me, it's the jump from a software-based system to the integartion fo more hardware. While I can just about manage the digital mixer on Cubase, I'd be pretty lost when it comes to a PT desk (as I understand it, it's a hardware control system? I mean it still routes inputs to a DAW right?)

I'm not even sure what SSl do, though I presume it's all about mixing desks and pres...but for a guy who's only outboard gear is a cheap compressor, it all gets a bit much!

It's still all a bit o craic though .... no one dies !

It's still all a bit o craic though .... no one dies !

That's what the said about the Spanish inquisition:D A bit of Monty is always good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 RichardP@SSL

Hi All

Thought it was time I chirped up to say how much we are looking forward to being back in Ireland for the show.

We are currently preparing the SSL tourbus (VW Touran with a pillow in it) for its voyage across from Holyhead loaded with the latest SSL wares and very much looking forward to a few days in the compnay of our favourite distributor and his loyal compatriots.

I have noticed throughout this thread that a number of you are expressing reluctance to visit the show due to what I can only describe as 'feeling out of your depth'. I can only re-iterate what has already been said by saying that even Tiger Woods was an amateur once.

Furthermore, as a representative of a manufacturer it is of paramount importance that we meet our users of the future and understand how they work and where we should be taking the range to accomodate their needs. Please don't stay away on the grounds that you feel an event like this might be intimidating. Paul has arranged an opportunity for us all to learn a great deal in what looks like an idyllic environment. It couldn't be a better forum.

Have a great weekend guys and see you on the 2nd.

Richard Palmer
    Distribution Manager
    Solid State Logic

Good Buzz Richard !

We're looking forward to you guys coming too ....

As you say the Show is for everyone - you don't have to know stuff you just have to want to know stuff. There are going to be some great guys there to learn from.

I mentioned Wolsey White , Hard-Fi's producer - he is primarily a Home Studio guy (as are Hard-Fi) with limited higher end experience as he'll tell you himself.

If you're any way inquisitive come along !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Hi Paul. I understand that this is going to be 2 days. Is there a rough plan what will be on each one of the days?
    cheers.

Very Rough !

The Main day will be all the Manufacturers guys plus presentations from

Rupert Abbey Road
    Phil Hayes (bell x1)
    Tim Air Studio
    Stuart from Digidesign (remember we have 2 control rooms!)
    Dirk Brauner
    Jurg from VoVox
    Chris from Munro Acoustics
    Steve from Audient (with the New Zen console which I'm very keen to see)
    Richard+Sam from SSL

and what ever turns up in the mean time !

Most of those guys will hang around for the 3rd too.

Barry Dempsey will do a demo/presentation on Software and Hardware in Electronic Music on the 3rd.

We also intend doing some A/Bing of cabling with Jurg from Vovox and our own Seizertisch will share his experiences with reamping and guitar cables.

That's the 'official' stuff ...

It's going to be a very packed couple of days

As it's not too formal if anyone turns up with a track on a drive it may get thrown up on the SSL AWS console , or maybe someone will turn up with some guitars or drums or whatever which might set us off in a particular experimental direction.

It's not just what I plan it's what you as potential attendees plan - anyone is welcome to bring any of their own tracks , mixes, mics , fx instruments whatever .
    There's no guarantee anything will happen if you do bring something, but chances are something will !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Great! So will not miss gear if coming for 1st day only. right?
    cheers.

• Advertisement

shayleon wrote: »
    Great! So will not miss gear if coming for 1st day only. right?
    cheers.

No, there won't be any more gear on the second day than on the first .

Advertisement