Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At last we have zero tolerence, YIPEE!

Options
13»

Comments

laws requiring citizens to respect authority are despotic and tyrannical

Could you tell me what country or system of Government is not 'despotic and tyrannical' by that definition?

I can think of the pot smoking Dutch police on the Harry Enfield show. After that...
    If disobedience fails against true tyranny, armed insurrection is the next step.

Possibly. Just as well we have nothing like true tyranny then. If you think we have, I think you may be slightly downplaying the suffering of those who live under truly despotic regimes like North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Could you tell me what country or system of Government is not 'despotic and tyrannical' by that definition?

Let me clarify, I was referring to the criticism of authority or something in that vein, not about being legally required to obey laws. By that definition, I would pick out the US and Britain as our culturally closest neighbours, where you can make unlimited criticism of the state and government without fear of jail. Contrast with, say Turkey, where insulting "Turkishness" carries a prison sentence.
    Possibly. Just as well we have nothing like true tyranny then. If you think we have, I think you may be slightly downplaying the suffering of those who live under truly despotic regimes like North Korea.

Now you're trying to put words in my mouth. I said "truly" specifically to exclude nations like us, and indeed it was exactly North Korea I had in mind when I said it. That seems to me like a country where civil disobedience is certain to fail.

I would pick out the US and Britain as our culturally closest neighbours, where you can make unlimited criticism of the state and government without fear of jail.

Just like it is here.

Of course, one need only see events at Kent State or the Miner's Strike to see how both of those countries treat criticism that involves breaking the law, breach of public order etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

jmayo wrote: »

It will be interesting when the Gardai (many of whom are sons of farmers or evn part time farmers) have to show zero tolerance to farmers protesting.

Maybe the farmers learnt a few tricks from their French counterparts down the years.

I can't see how there'd be any problems with the Gardai showing "Zero tolerance" against farmers. It's simple enough, they either do their jobs properly or they should get the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The best implementation of "zero tolerance" we could do with at the moment is towards Government incompetence.

Yes, the horse has bolted and the damage is done thanks to FF & the *ankers, but if Ireland has learnt ANYTHING it should be that incompetent TDs should get the road - even mid-term. And the leader who appointed the incompetents to their ministries and positions should be held accountable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement