Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Appliance Testing?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi - I'm trying to find out if I can complete the Portable Appliance Testing myself instead of hiring someone to do it for our company. The testing equipment seems to be around €300 but to get someone into do it was around €5k the last time I got a quote. Does anyone know if I need to have specific training or can I just follow the instructions on the box? Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is specific training available, but the wording on the website suggests that anybody can PAT test an appliance as long as they have training & knowledge.

http://www.pat-testing.info/who.htm
    The tester must have an understanding of the modes of electrical, mechanical or thermal damage to electrical equipment and appliances and their flexes which may be encountered in any environment.

Training must include the identification of equipment and appliance types to determine the test procedures and frequency of inspection and testing. Persons testing must be familiar with the test instruments used and in particular their limitations and restrictions so as to achieve repeatable results without damaging the equipment or the appliance.

To be honest, it seems that just about anybody can certify the appliances. I always ask for the test machine calibration cert and the qualifications of the person who reports PAT failures into our department.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I've done some PAT testing working for another company, but most of the testing was done by a general op so qualifications shouldn't be an issue once training is done.
    I think PAT testing equipment is a lot more expensive than 300 euro, closer to 2k?
    5k seems a crazy price, how many appliances are in your workplace.
    I considered getting a tester and providing the service but until I see the demand I won't be investing in a decent tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

Ive purchased the machine ,it costs closer to €€3500,have insurance ,calibration cert ,Im looking for work and guarantee will do it cheaply ,I need to get out of the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gibletta

Hi - Thanks for your responses. I was quoted €5k for all the pc's in the office (180 approx) and the printers and other peripheral equipment to be tested out of hours. I've had a look at the H&S legislation again and it seems that I don't need to get the pc's tested as they aren't in use when moved so not defined as a portable appliance. If I take a strict look it seems that the only thing that is portable in the place is a hoover!
    Thanks for your help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

I test computers all the time ,if they can be transported from one location to another they require testing ,as I said I need the work and will do it for €1800 plus vat ,every individual item tagged and a cert issued with the complete list of equipment itemised

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gibletta

Hi - in the legislation it states

'Portable Equipment means equipment, including hand held portable equipment, which - a) because of the manner in which it is to be used, requires to be moved while it is working, b) is designed so that it can be moved while it is owrking, or c) is moved from time to time between the periods during which it is working'

I've taken section c to mean that it's portable if it's moved during operation which pc's are not. I spoke to the HSA and they said it was up to me to determine what it means so I determined that they weren't portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, PC's are classed as "Movable equipment" when under 18kg or "IT Equipment".

Here:
    http://www.pat-testing.info/appliance.htm

Here's the info about the breakdown of the test-classes:
    http://www.pat-testing.info/test.htm

Advertisement