Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Drive not recognised

Options
  • 20-07-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I have a 4gb Transend Usb Thumb Drive, all going grand as of yesterday, now its not recognised by XP or a PS3,when I put it into my laptop the light flashes on the drive itself as if its being read,XP plugs n plays and I try to click on the drive in my computer but it just says 'Insert drive into (:E)'

I've tried changing the letter mapping of the drive and this did not work,possible virus? Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Can i reopen this thread, i have a 8gb usb sandisk cruizer drive, it shows in device mamager as working and drivers up to date, but it will not open to show files if any or let me format if its blank, its a win 10 desktop, and i have other usb sandisk drives that are working fine, tried all the ports and also laptop, can anyone figure this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

donmeister wrote: »
    Thoughts?
    XP?

Win 10

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: I will leave this thread open for now. OP: Please create a new thread for issues in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

horse7 wrote: »
    Can i reopen this thread, i have a 8gb usb sandisk cruizer drive, it shows in device mamager as working and drivers up to date, but it will not open to show files if any or let me format if its blank, its a win 10 desktop, and i have other usb sandisk drives that are working fine, tried all the ports and also laptop, can anyone figure this out?

showing up in Device Manager just means Windows 10 has detected a plug and play device has been inserted, that part can work and the storage part be damaged.

Open up 'Disk Management', select the Cruzer drive see if it's recognised as Healthy. Whether it is or not

right-click for properties / tools / error checking. See what results are, if it refuses to scan, there's damage.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it wont let me scan for errors.

the fact that your properties is greyed out would suggest it cannot be accessed as its damaged.

Mine is not greyed out:

iEJNwXw.jpg

Thanks, so theres no way to reformat it?

Am going to wipe the data the programme tools wont give me the option to format

• Advertisement

No success with this method, finally got it cracked with command prompt https://youtu.be/5zM1QpUem08.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

horse7 wrote: »
    No success with this method, finally got it cracked with command prompt https://youtu.be/5zM1QpUem08.

Back up your data to somewhere else and scrap that stick. You might get another while out of it but flash drives are disposable storage.

Definitely, only use this for music, great fun to see it works again.

Advertisement