Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SF4 - LanParty.ie 2 Competition

• 20-07-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

I spoke with a few of you on saturday about the LAN I'm running in a few months. SF4 is a competition I'd love to host as I've been a big fan of the series since SF2:WW on the snes (I didn't get my own copy of SF2 till it came out on mega drive though :(). The main obstacle unlike your XGC meetups is that it's BYOC (bring your own console + TV/monitor) but on the slip side it's on for 48 hours.

I can provide 1 Xbox 360 & 1 PS3 (no character unlocks on either as I don't really play consoles anymore) and could muster up displays for both (could be TV/monitor/projector). This gives me 4 spots which imo isn't really sufficient for anything more then 8-10 people. So I'm open to suggestions on this part.

The competition itself would be similar enough to the XGC except each group match up would be best of 3 fights (each fight being best of 3 rounds) and then it would be double elimination with each stage benig best of 3 fights again.

Character unlocks is something that I'm not going to impose but if you can agree amongst yourselves that seth or sagat are to be locked out then I've no issue with it.

Rules are here

Signups are here

YOU CAN NOW PAY ON THE DOOR!!!!!!!!

SF3 starts at midday and SF4 will start at about 2pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PC versions would work, they are compatible with both xbox and ps3 controllers as well.

Plus they'll be running on PC displays which are pretty much official tournament quality, no display lag due to up-converters.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Run the competition on the PC version, files for unlocking characters, colors and taunts are easily obtainable. Save files are transferable unlike the console version and everyone would be able to use there own stick/pad.

People could of course bring there own PC/Console for casual play. But if we can have at least 2 PC's for running the tournament, the large amount of time available will easily allow you to get the competition finished, although having say up to 4 machines for the competition would probably be better as some players might not like large delays between their tournament games.

The 48 hours would allow for alot of casual play and some unoffical competitions that the community could host without having to bother the event organisers. We could have competitions in other popular fighting games like BlazBlue, HD Remix or 3rd Strike.

I doubt anyone here would be in favour of character unlocks.

Azza wrote: »
    I doubt anyone here would be in favour of character unlocks.

Aye, there's kinda a soft lock anyway. If you're playing for glory you won't get it if you pick Sagat. But I'd actually like to see someone own with Seth. For as good as he is he still takes a lot of work to get him to a level where he can destroy all of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I could be interested if there was a number of players involved.
    As I'd only really be intested if SFIV (No real interest if CS, COD4 or L4D,) would the fee lowered for SFIV only players, (both casuals and tournament?)

A-Trak wrote: »
    would the fee lowered for SFIV only players

I think the fee is set on the use of the venue and not which games you choose to play though. I'll probably be playing a lot of SFIV, and bits of CS and L4D. But I wouldn't expect a discount because I won't be playing CoD4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I think the fee is set on the use of the venue and not which games you choose to play though.

This. Plus there will be prize money for SF4 as well. I've got a tournament admin already, will announce prize fund plus the admin in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'm currently looking into capping and streaming/saving matches at the moment.
    Hopefully we'll have it up and running by the lan.

Roughly how many would be looking to attend?
    Would people have a problem with playing on consoles? From what i've seen most people use a stick. Is there many pad warriors around who'd have a problem with this?

Any feedback/suggestions before the event would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

When n where?

When n where?

Sheldon Park Hotel
    Kylemore Road
    Dublin 12
    Start:2009-10-23 17:00:00
    End:2009-10-25 17:00:00

As for the format the PC would be the preferred option as if the competition is ran on console some people will not be able to use there preferred controller (pad or stick). All controllers be they default PS3 or Xbox 360 pads or arcade sticks should work fine on PC. You also be covered if some mad man showed up wanting to use a keyboard :pac:

PPC is our Sf4 admin in case you missed that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm hoping to attend but my time is short right now!

Just won my first G2 tournament with Guile so feeling like a bit more violence.

Right folks,I'm hoping to get some tv's for this which will dramatically reduce the cost for you. I'm willing to drop the price to €20 for the 48 hours for people attending for sf4. The will be a prize fund (tbd) and all you'll have to bring is your pad or stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

To even the playing field for me, can everyone (except me) have to use Dan and button combinations consisting of D-pad for punch and kick (randomly bound) and two other buttons using the messenger kit?

Mwahahahahahaha!

🤪

Should be able to make it to this, so I should sign up in the next day or two. Will start pushing this event at the next meet up I'm at the XGC and on MSN to the other regulars.

Thanks for knocking the price down for the fighting game crowd Kinetic should make it more appealing. I'll probably bring my PC anyway assuming I can get transportation and not have to relie on the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Hoping to attend this myself, but Aug is a bit of a mental month for me so not sure atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Ill b up for it..this is in october if im reading right,,yes????

Jim wrote: »
    Hoping to attend this myself, but Aug is a bit of a mental month for me so not sure atm.

Good thing it's not in August. :P

Right folks, the rules for the SF4 competition are up. They can be seen here
    Game Mode: Versus

Time Limit: 99 Seconds

Handicap: None

Stage: Random

Rounds:
    Best 2 out of 3

Games: Best 2 out of 3

Button Mapping: Allowed

Controllers: Arcade Stick, Analog Controllers & Dpads allowed. No rapid fire or macros allowed. We will have a small amount of standard Xbox 360/PS3 controllers.

Character Restrictions: None

The competition will be carried out on Xbox 360/PS3/PC. We will have 1 of each for the competition so if you have a preference we will be able to cater to you.

Prize: We will be putting 50% of the entry fee into the prize fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Excellent ruleset Kinetic, can only hope you're enforcing double blind select (with loser's character change allowed) to make this perfect!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Akuma should be banned for his stupid fast high kick and everyone should be forced to use the same button config.

• Advertisement

Couldn't say it better myself Retro!

Oh I forgot to say, PPC is hoping to get a stream set up for the competition but it will depend on bandwidth on the day. *fingers crossed*

I'd say more important than a stream would be to just get the matches recorded and stick 'em on youtube!

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'd say more important than a stream would be to just get the matches recorded and stick 'em on youtube!

Can do both for PC :)

Savage, all this sounds excellent - wp Kinetic on what looks to be a great tournament!

Ello guys!

When is this on?! Im well up for a competition after 10 days in the old countries of Slovakia lol

23-25 October. It will be a 48 hour event.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    23-25 October. It will be a 48 hour event.

Deadly Buzz! Thank ya

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Akuma should be banned for his stupid fast high kick and everyone should be forced to use the same button config.
    :(

Sorry for double post...

I only main Akuma like.. If he where banned twould make the odds unfair imo
    and the same button config? That would make things kinda awkward people spend a good bita time makin there buttons to there liking if they where switched, it would make it harder for the peeps there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Sorry for double post...

and the same button config? That would make things kinda awkward people spend a good bita time makin there buttons to there liking if they where switched, it would make it harder for the peeps there

I think you may have missed this

I hope to be able to make this.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    this is genius i hear next years evo will be doing the same

blag wrote: »
    I think you may have missed this

Dang sorry!

Dont bann Akuma :(.. Pretty Pwease? lol

Sorry for double post...

No no, there's no stuff like that. Rules are here. The event is prepay only though and signups are here. Prepay emails won't be sent out for a while so don't worry about paying this month.

Retr0, stfu ye nab! :pac:

No no, there's no stuff like that. Rules are here. The event is prepay only though and signups are here. Prepay emails won't be sent out for a while so don't worry about paying this month.

Retr0, stfu ye nab! :pac:

lol cheers xD!

I wana sign up on that website there, but the page seems broken? I think.. Anywho any other ways of signin up? cause the hotel is 15 minutes from my house lol

What browser are you using? I just signed up by clicking on the link in my previous post and then clicking "signup" on the bottom right. Did you register so you could signup?

• Advertisement

Im usin forefox, and when I go to sign up, just shows a blank page, and where the loading bar does be it says "Done".. so.. Dang :(

Im usin forefox, and when I go to sign up, just shows a blank page, and where the loading bar does be it says "Done".. so.. Dang :(

Did you register on the right hand side? ie. here

Yup!

It worked on my Itouch?.. haha I'm signed up now, Cheers anywho lol
    Im the only one signed up?.. Oh dear :P

I only put the seperate signups up when you posted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

I'm gonna sign up later on. Oh and it's soo close by too, yay. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is there a limit to how many can go to this?

bush wrote: »
    Is there a limit to how many can go to this?

Not really tbh.

I can bring an 360, with a HD that has every character up to Gouken :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can bring an 360, with a HD that has every character up to Gouken :)

If you already have Gouken, then just put it on one round, thirty seconds, easy and unlock Seth.

If you already have Gouken, then just put it on one round, thirty seconds, easy and unlock Seth.

I've been doin that :p! Cant be arsed doing the rest of the characters, But ill have all the chars unlocked for the day :)

Is booze allowed at the event.
    If yes, is bringing your own beer permitted?

Booze allowed. Bringing your own at our last event was a negative but turned out it was ok on the day,so I'll just be seeing what happens on the day again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Right so can we get a full updated set of details then? That covers everything? Also a forum mod could sticky all tourneys until they've been held?

Rules are here

Signups are here

Booze allowed. Bringing your own at our last event was a negative but turned out it was ok on the day,so I'll just be seeing what happens on the day again.

Cheers,
    Have signed up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement